Lhd / rhd rear led light units?

V6monkey

Reaction score
Hi folks.
I recently bought a '05 a3 sportback and wouldn't mind putting either the later style rear led units on it, or some aftermarket ones off ebay.

I notice a lot of the a/f vendors state they are for lhd only. Is there a particular reason why? I've seen a UK company that charges a little more for what looks like the same product, but don't state that its specifically for rhd cars.

Alternatively I can source some used oem ones, but I think I then need to purchase a loom to connect them to the existing connectors, hence plug and plaf a/f seems the easier option.

Any advice on the above would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Monkey.

Here are adapters that are meant to help convert from older to newer style for SB ( 191910837488 ) EBAY

Ah, thanks.

Does anyone have any advice as to whether the a/f items are any good, or should I just go straight to oem with adapters?

Ah, thanks.

Does anyone have any advice as to whether the a/f items are any good, or should I just go straight to oem with adapters?
If you can get the Oem at a decent price and in excellent condition me personnally would go Oem all the time . Check gumtree out as they break a lot off 8v's in bradford area for some reason

Mines an 8p, but saw a set on ebay at £180 recently, which doesn't seem too bad when you add the £40 on for the adapters. Same as the a/m units really.

Thx!

Is it the dynamic lights your looking for or just the Dark red facelift lights

I fitted the later LED lights to my Sportback in 2016 and used Automotive Lighting / Magneti Marelli units from EuroCarParts as the Genuine Audi items are also AL/MM .......
The price seems to have gone up a fair bit as mine cost around £150 then, with the current discount code Halloween80 the best price I can find is approx £224.
I’d go for OEM units over after-market any day though.
Do it, it’s really one of the best mods you can do to a Sportback IMHO.

Reactions: ch1z64
Same as Nessy. With discount from CarParts4Less (online wing of ECP) got the lights for £185 and then the adapters from eBay for £40.
They were the real deal made by AL.

Ok. Gone for used oem ones. Should be a nice upgrade and comes in at £165 inc. adapter harnesses, which is reasonable.

Ok folks. Got a set of oem lights and also have the converter loom.

Happy that I understand how to fit it all, but don't have a vcds to do the programming. Am sure someone nearby will have one. My question is, without the reprogramming will i have operating rear lights of some form, so that I can drive to someond with a vcds that can make the changes, or will they just not work without the reprogramming?

Thanks for clarifying.

Ok folks. Got a set of oem lights and also have the converter loom.

Happy that I understand how to fit it all, but don't have a vcds to do the programming. Am sure someone nearby will have one. My question is, without the reprogramming will i have operating rear lights of some form, so that I can drive to someond with a vcds that can make the changes, or will they just not work without the reprogramming?

Thanks for clarifying.
Yes - it will work and be legal for daytime as the brake/reverse lights will work but the LED strip won't which is what you will need to have on for night time

When you go to get the lights coded in be aware that you can also tick one of the boxes within long coding helper in VCDS to get the rear fog light each side of the car to operate as an additional brake light.
This means that there are 3 bulbs that illuminate each side (not including the central window-mounted one) whenever you brake.....

When you go to get the lights coded in be aware that you can also tick one of the boxes within long coding helper in VCDS to get the rear fog light each side of the car to operate as an additional brake light.
This means that there are 3 bulbs that illuminate each side (not including the central window-mounted one) whenever you brake.....

Nice! I didn't know that. Even more opportunity to dazzle the drivers behind me :haha:

What happens to thd fog lights though?

They still function perfectly as the fog lights when you switch them on.
It just means that when it is foggy and you brake , only the outer 2 bulbs on each side illuminate....

Nice! I didn't know that. Even more opportunity to dazzle the drivers behind me :haha:

I actually did the change as I thought it’d make things safer...lol.

So whats the extra coding then?

I can’t exactly tell you...lol.
All I can remember is when I did the job and was using my VCDS cable I was in the “long coding helper” part and in the various byte headings there were different options /settings that could be activated by ticking or unticking a box, so causing a slight coding change .
If all this sounds gobbledegook it all makes sense when you’re using the VCDS...
One of the boxes was labelled to use the rear fog lights as brake lights so I just ticked the box and applied the changes.

Just reading an article on the 3 brake light situation and it says that it requires an appropriate headlight switch to do it? Assuming that my old v6 sline will have that switch as standard

OKm so they're fitted and I got the main coding done, but we couldn't get the fog lights to become brake lights. We think it's byte 10 that needs to be set to 0, but it already is. Can anyone point me in the right direction on what needs to be changed? Its due to have a haldex oil change on Friday, so I could get this re-code done then.

Thanks

I think sometimes, even with the correct coding these changes don’t always work...
Think it’s to do with the various modules etc and whether they support the changes...
I tried to get my front frogs to act as cornering lights when the indicators were used and despite coding it correctly using my genuine Rosstech VCDS cable it never worked.....

Possibly. would be great to make sure we are changing the correct setting though.