Lighter wheels

bhodgkiss

Reaction score
Hi All

I've run OZ Ultraleggera's on previous cars and been impressed with the weight save and feel.

My B8 3.0TDI avant has the standard 18"x8J SE wheels fitted (nice looking 5 spokes)

I've not weighed them, but presume heavy-ish.

Has anyone got a weight for these please?

I'd potentially be keen to drop to 17" size, run 235/45R17 and fit some Team Dynamics or Oz's?
Tyres cheaper and ride comfier, as well as lighter wheels/tyres, and maybe a little more mpg with the narrower tyres. Lower unsprung mass is always good.

Any recommendations please, oranyone selling anything lightweight please? :)
Photos too would be good, I'm not sure if dropping to 17" will look small. Especially as its a bright red estate!

Many thanks

I switched to Audi R8 Forged 19’s which weight 8.6kg each so quite a saving which you can feel in the handling of the car.

I love this thread , tired of "I'm going to remap then stick on some 22" big boy wheels. "

Reactions: CHEZ
which rims are the forged R8 out of interest? I presume they don't do an 18inch version?

I'm hoping 18x9 ET35 will just about suit, especially if I run 235/40R18 tyres, slightly narrower than the standard 245/40r18 and only change speedo by 1mph at 80mph

They'll be a bit more stretched of course on the 9J rim

Last edited:
Might be best looking into the width of smaller wheels; my 17 inch Team Dynamics 1.2's (on a b6 so they don't look quite as small) have 225 XL's which look mad wide (on I think it's 7 or 7.5J), supposedly they do 9J as well now in 1.2's but I've never seen them sold anywhere. Depends what you want in terms of looks and stuff too I've always thought big OZ's look better but then like you say tyre prices go up, maybe something like 18's in a style you like would be a good best of both worlds on a b8.

Many thanks
This thread shows that some oem rim/tyre combinations are under 20kg, but that was a 19" size (possibly forged?)
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/wheels-and-tyres.302379/#post-2886729
Are there any OEM 17/18" rims that are known to be light please?
I actually asked an ebay seller to weigh one the other day and he got back to me straight away with a figure I now know to be correct, so maybe I email a load of sellers of genuine rims and get a spread of weights. I'll let you know what I find.
A 10kg 18" rim is probably as good as I can aim for, for OEM.
Thanks
Ben

For 18in wheels anything around 10kg is good. Most OEM will be around 13kg.

19's are a couple of kg more. With 19's there is less tyre so that does offset the wheel increase.
You need a good 2-3 kg to make a difference.
Basically you need forged wheels to feel any benefit.
However saying all that on a car as big as the B8 with the lack of steering feel id say you won't notice much of a difference.

Reactions: CHEZ
For 18in wheels anything around 10kg is good. Most OEM will be around 13kg.

19's are a couple of kg more. With 19's there is less tyre so that does offset the wheel increase.
You need a good 2-3 kg to make a difference.
Basically you need forged wheels to feel any benefit.
However saying all that on a car as big as the B8 with the lack of steering feel id say you won't notice much of a difference.
Your very wrong! I run genuine R8 Forged 19’s and the wheels weigh 8.6kg each which is a massive saving over the OE peelers which were approx.12.5kg each. The feel through the steering, turn in and overall handling & performance of the suspension is vastly improved.

Reactions: DieselJake
On something that light yes you would I agree. That is a massive weight saving. On anything 10kg or above is more what I was meaning, most wheels that size will struggle to go less than that.

Interested in the details on your wheels, they sound spot on.

88A1DFE3 A64D 4292 808A 2DE0EBFB8B89
Audi R8 GT Forged 8.5J x 19 ET42 CB57.1 with 15mm spacer adapters.

Not to everyone’s taste but they are Genuine Audi Forged alloys that are very light & cheap to buy as fast as Forged wheels go.
95B710C5 1811 44DC 8BC2 702D65D608DF
2EFA3811 A622 49F2 B0C9 FEAF94BEB33F

Reactions: DickoB8
Nothing wrong with them, they look nice.
How much do the spacers weigh......:icon thumright:?

Now they are very nice !
So you managed to buy 4 front R8 rims? The backs would be wider?

Also with 15mm spacers that's like have 19x8.5j et27

Don't they stick too far out? Would you have a side shot of front and rear?
I was looking at 18x9j et35 which would actually sit 2mm further in?
What tyres have you gone for please?

Reactions: DickoB8
835F5DDD E5CD 407C B726 F4CFB72FB243
Now they are very nice !
So you managed to buy 4 front R8 rims? The backs would be wider?

Also with 15mm spacers that's like have 19x8.5j et27

Don't they stick too far out? Would you have a side shot of front and rear?
I was looking at 18x9j et35 which would actually sit 2mm further in?
What tyres have you gone for please?
Yes I found four Front R8 rims as the rears are usually 10.5 or 11J and far to wide.
The car is lowered on H&R springs and roll bars. I run 225/35 19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S’s and with the 15mm spacers and they sit nice and flush but never rub.

I might try and find some, I do like that massive difference in weight. Are they all forged? Did you weight them to confirm the weight?
Also do they have correct centrebore to bolt straight on?

Last edited:
I might try and find some, I do like that massive difference in weight. Are they all forged? Did you weight them to confirm the weight?
Also do they have correct centrebore to bolt straight on?
Yes they are Forged and made specifically for the R8z they have a smaller 57.1 centre bore so you could machine them out a little to fit or run spacer adapters which I do.

Was just wondering if you actually weighed then or got that from weight from reading it elsewhere.