Limp mode help

Adamc1234

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help iv bought a 2007 a3 tdi been fine for first two weeks now today as I was driving along it seemed to drop the turbo, I drove to a carpark turned turned it off and restarted it now its fine. No dash lights or check engine lights at all, It didn't over heat or lose and oil or water.. Can anybody help and hopefully not tell me the turbo is knackered as I don't know how I'd stand as iv only owned it a couple weeks but bought it privately..... Thanks

Limp mode itself is just to protect your engine, it doesn't necessarily mean that your turbo is bad, it just limits your engine power, that's way it feels like you got no tubo.
You'll need to scan your car for fault codes as a start to find the culprit behind the limp mode. If your EML was on they're will be fault code stored.

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

As there's no dash lights on does that mean it won't have stored the fault

I got this code back today

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201021_211533_com.prizmos.carista.jpg
    Screenshot_20201021_211533_com.prizmos.carista.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 125
Quick consultation with Google and here we go.
If it's overboost then there's probably something wrong with the operation of the wastegate. Main cause could be:
1) wastegate is stuck closed
2) rod from the wastegate actuator to the wastegate on the turbo is bent.
3) hose came off the wastegate or boost controller.
4) supply house to the boost controller or from the controller to the wastegate is clogged.

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

What sort of mileage has the car done ?
Very common on high mileage engines with variable vein turbos they become seized/jammed ect... this then will cause engine to over boost and the ECU will then shut off the turbo for safety reasons