Liqui Moly hydraulic lifter additive.

QuattroCalum

Reaction score
My daughter's car had a noisy lifter (Seat Ibiza 1.4 Sport Coupe) and there was one noisy lifter spoiling the car. It had just been serviced by Arnold Clark (yeah I know, I should've done it myself) but it was bought with the car, two services and MOT's.
So after the service it hadn't improved at all, I ordered a can of this stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liqui-Moly-Hydraulic-Lifter-Additive-300ml-2770/182491606127?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=43782&meid=36c7a46b5d7846e2a6f9d30f48f71dd2&pid=100033&rk=8&rkt=8&sd=190904589790
and it has made a considerable difference, anyone else used it and your experience of it.

Some of the older BMW engines suffered from "sticky" hydraulic valve lifters, my Z3 had a terrible problem when I first got it which got much worse as the weather got colder - it even affected starting. I tried the Wynns additive but in the end it was cured by simply using some Mobil 1 0w-40 which if nothing else, has a reputation for creeping around older gummed and varnished engines and cleaning them up. If it works for you I would stick with it - I'll put in my own radar.

Reactions: DieselJake
Some of the older BMW engines suffered from "sticky" hydraulic valve lifters, my Z3 had a terrible problem when I first got it which got much worse as the weather got colder - it even affected starting. I tried the Wynns additive but in the end it was cured by simply using some Mobil 1 0w-40 which if nothing else, has a reputation for creeping around older gummed and varnished engines and cleaning them up. If it works for you I would stick with it - I'll put in my own radar.

It's not as if it's an old car it's a 2011, could be whatever crap oil Arnold Clark used. The list of what they "supposedly do" had the semi synthetic and fully synthetic oil boxes BOTH ticked. Oh and they never changed the spark plugs that were ****'ed. Would NEVER go back there, I don't know how they have a good reputation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011! :sadlike:Perhaps they stuck in something like 10W-40 (semi) when most modern engines take 5W-30 (fully synthetic). I guess lots of smaller hatchbacks do shorter, local trips around cities and towns and when combined with these daft "long life" service intervals - get a bit gummed up inside. Some (previous) owners on these PCP plans even try to avoid as much servicing as possible. I've had similar experiences at garages :calm:

Sounds good, I'd say the servicing from them was probably a load of baloney or if they did service it they used really cheap generic stuff. Could have even lied about previous services. Best to get a used car serviced straight after purchase just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: Retroman