Little help , coding new airbag module ,think I've cocked it up

John ler

Reaction score
hi guys I've just fitted a new air bag module on my s3 , I copied the long code over , but still got air bag faults, have I done something wrong, was following guid , but can't remember what I've done tbh, can anyone help me, have I done something wrong, I can't put a screen shot of sac an up as laptops plaguing up, can't get on Internet with it, I'm showing both side crash airbags open curcit or something like that, I'll keep trying to put screen shot up, of auto scan, any help would me me feel better or not, thanks

Is it the same part number or superseded one.

Same part number m8
Cars never had an accident or airbag gone off, but I'm wormed ring if I've got wrong code , my car is a 3 door and I think it might be poss the old module came off a 5 door car, but not sure, pretty sure it was from a 3 door, I had a problem with one that came with car and changed it, both had same part numbers and first was change because I had a fault and was told it had water ingression , wire where fine and don't think there was water on original one at all module that's just come off it was from a same car and don't think there was airbag issue with it, but decided to put brand new one, ordered from chassis number and came same part numbers as other, where is side crash sensor on a 2010 s3, some say in door another in one of the pillars and idea on sensors ta, I'm fkcued I'm trying to make the car right as I'm sell or thinking of, and thorough I'd address the airbag light , but think I've cocked new ecu up, follow Ross-tech , but I can't seem to get the shirt coding up, , any help NHN , i no you no your stuff and cleaver, with these things, I read your stuff on all,the forums, many thanks

Last edited:
where abouts are you located as somebody more experienced with VCDS may be able to help firstly but otherwise if you know what you're doing then you go to the modules list on vcds and then go to airbags and then the coding box which comes up at the bottom right within that and enter the code from the old unit

I had fault codes come up on mine before I corrected the coding

HTH

Hi yes York area, first, I went to the coding and copied my old long code into the lost code on the new unit, it accepted it, but still got same faults
2 faults found
9443093-drivers side airbag crash sensor
B1017. 54. (137) missing calibration /basic settings
Mil on -confirmed -test since memory clear

9451029- crash sensor side airbag -passenger side
B136. 54. (137) Missing calibration as above

Can anyone tell me where this drivers side crash sensors in located and ever a part number car in a 2010 Audi S3 I don't think it's in the door ?? Thanks anyone ta

I think It was something similar on mine but its a while since I swapped mine now!
On my old airag ecu it said there was a problem in the driver airbag sensor (under the front of the seat In the floor, sometimes the connectors go dodgy so undo the seat, lift up the black plastic cover and mess about with them to make sure they're in)

I cant remember if I had to do basic settings or not but I did have to clear the faults after correcting the coding

I don't live a million miles away so may be able to come see if I can correct it next weekend

It's driving me mad, I've,got,half,car in bits trying to find the sensor ta

Usually the side airbags are in the doors themselves iirc.

Really you should not copy coding, you should select the long coding or add up with short coding what your car airbag systems feature.

Did you check the adaptations as well to make sure there were no calibrations within there?

Do you have logs to show us.

Thanks I've checked doors no sensors in them on mine, I when to the long coding and copied code from old module, that's wrong I take it, it came back as successful

I didn't get the short coding, don't not why,

No I didn't check the adaptations didn't no I had to, didn't read that on Internet, I take it, I've fooled the new module ??

Do you no why I didn't get the short coding thing, Aldo how do you understand the long coding helper (Bit ) part, I. Just numbers but no discription with it, or what each number means on coding if you understand me, many thanks, is there anything I can do to sort this, out ta, or do I need to find another module, it will have to be second hand this time, can't afford new again

From memory the code will be around 8 digits long, what Nigel is referring to is that in the coding for the Airbags, if you click on the box which has the actual coding value in it, then It comes up with a dialogue box which explains what each digit of code is for and does and tells you what to put so e.g 0*00142
for the second digit which is marked * as an example single or dual stage airbag - for single stage +2 for dual stage +4 so you'd change the value by either adding 2 or adding 4 to that value of coding so if it was 0100142, you'd make that second digit 3 if it was single stage or 5 if it was dual stage

HTH

That the short coding I think because I didn't get the short coding option, and on the long coding helper option I got the numbers but didn't get any dialogue showing why the numbers Neenah it's just blank, or the right and has the numbers on the left, cond the coding be changed after one has been entered or will it just reject I was exspecting to be able to only put the 8 or so digits that you work out from the new code on the box, but could get to it, I could only open the long coding option so I thought I has followed the right procedure to doing it that way, which was obviously wrong by copying old code into long code , thanks

Last edited:
It'll let you change the coding on the module as that's how people are able to reprogram/add retrofits etc

I'll PM you

Can anyone tell me, just thinking what you guys have said, by the code is for each car, so am I right in thinking no to cars have the same code, because it's as if to me the car thinks there's more sensors on the car than there actually is, I've disconnected every sensor on the car and I I get a extra fault for each, sensor I disconnect, this is why I'm thinking the car or the module thinks there sohould be 2 extra sensors, I've as if it was a 5 door car instead of a 3 door, I'm not sure what car the last airbag ecu came of , all I no is it had the right part number, I've got a feeling it might have been a 5 door s line, but at one point I did swap my seats over with some full leather ones that came out of a new car that had only don't 3000 miles but had had a big hit up the ****, could the seats be causing any issues , I no when I disconnect the seats, I get another airbag fault, so does this rule the seats out, many thanks guys, also do you think if I put the code in from a 3door car that has same airbags installed, would that be possible, and do you think a 5 door cars has more sensors in than a 3 door, I've 2 extra ones in the rear door, cheers

you'll get extra fault codes when you disconnect seats etc as it sees no airbag sensor etc for that seat for example

Hi yes I no , I took them out to see if it picked another fault , I all so took all other sensors off and I get new fault for all, so that tells me all my sensors are working!! What guys think, so I'm sure my car thinks I have a 5 door car and not a 3, thanks guys is there anyway of working out a long code for my car. To try putting that in and see if it works ta

a bit of an update, hoping someone can point me in the right direction to sorting this out, I have bought a second hand module from a clean car with no codes, so I'm told, I haven't done any coding as I'm not sure if I need to, I now only have one fault, but a diffrent one now, I changed modules because I thought the new one I bought, was thinking my car had other airbags it didn't, , here is what I left with, so I now have need for another head airbag, not forgetting guys car hasn't had a crash,

(
1 Fault Found:
9438490 - Igniter for Driver head airbag
B1005 54 [137] - Missing Calibration / Basic Setting
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
) any help guys, do I need to do some sort of calibration and if so, how do I do this, I would really like to have no codes on my car one day , cheers all