Little surprises?

Yes but your foot would be on the brake anyway to put it in reverse (assuming u have s-Tronic) - in this case no seat belt needed.

And if I want to reverse my car out of the garage without having to put my seatbelt, I have to press the foot brake before I can release the parking brake using the switch.

Or the accelerator works also

Or the accelerator works also
emoji106.png

The accelerator only works if you have your seat belt on. Otherwise you need to put your foot on the brake pedal in order for the EPB switch to work. If I'm going out in the car I tend to put my seatbelt on in the garage but if I'm just getting the car out so that I can use the my bench etc in the garage then I don't.

Even with the seatbelt off it works. Just a light press on the accelerator until you feel the bite then you can release the parking brake.

I prefer to use the brake and use the switch and let my s-tronic 'creep' the car out of the garage. That way I can make sure my mirrors are not going to catch on the sides of the opening. I know I can fold the mirrors but again I prefer having then unfold when the ignition is turned on.

Reactions: Tony1982 and RYuill
Well I didn't think it necessary to mention the obvious lol

It isn't obvious, because the most annoying thing in the world is opening the door and un clipping your seatbelt so you can see how far away you are from the kerb (either side)

Only to find that the parking brake has automatically applied itself

Automatically applying itself? Mine doesn't! Yes when u are just reversing out the garage and quickly moving the car u generally can't be ***** with seat belts etc but in that case it's no hardship pressing the handbrake button! But what I was getting at was general driving, when ordinarily you will have your seatbelt on and your doors will be closed, u can simply drive off and the handbrake will release by itself, or if you have come to a traffic light etc etc u can apply the handbrake instead of holding your foot on the brakes, then when the light goes green you can just accelerate and it will auto release.

Even with the seatbelt off it works. Just a light press on the accelerator until you feel the bite then you can release the parking brake.
I tried this this afternoon when I got my car out of the garage and pressing the throttle pedal after I had engaged Reverse on my s-tronic did not release the EPB. It does when the seat-belt is on but not with it off.

Automatically applying itself? Mine doesn't! Yes when u are just reversing out the garage and quickly moving the car u generally can't be ***** with seat belts etc but in that case it's no hardship pressing the handbrake button! But what I was getting at was general driving, when ordinarily you will have your seatbelt on and your doors will be closed, u can simply drive off and the handbrake will release by itself, or if you have come to a traffic light etc etc u can apply the handbrake instead of holding your foot on the brakes, then when the light goes green you can just accelerate and it will auto release.

It does automatically apply itself under certain circumstances. A quick search, or read of the FAQs will reveal this.

Another search and read of the FAQs will also reveal the number of people that don't put their seat belts on before attempting to drive off, thus complaining that the park brake does not automatically release ;)

Reactions: AdamInKent
Aha it appears u need hill hold assist for it to automatically activate. Is that correct?

This thread was all the way down on page 7.

Not sure this counts as a little surprise, but not worth starting a new thread.

I was cleaning the alloys on the A3 last weekend, so I had the wheel nut covers off. This weekend I was washing the car again and thought the covers were not sitting right. So I took them off and discovered that they only fit correctly in 1 position. There are 2 notches in the alloys that have to be lined up with 2 extra bits on the covers. Now all fitted perfectly.

Reactions: phil1824 and veeeight
You can leave the Windbreak in the upright position and still operate the roof both up and down.
Very useful if you need to put the roof back up for a short time i.e. popping in to a shop or something.

Driving through France last night on the Autoroutes, where the speed limit is 130kph (dry) and 110kph (wet). My car has traffic sign recognition and during times when the wipers were on the '130' display was replaced with '110' and an icon of rain.
Think being able to recognise 50kph limits just by seeing village entry and exit signing is cool too.

Reactions: AdamInKent and cemerson
Driving through France last night on the Autoroutes, where the speed limit is 130kph (dry) and 110kph (wet). My car has traffic sign recognition and during times when the wipers were on the '130' display was replaced with '110' and an icon of rain.
Think being able to recognise 50kph limits just by seeing village entry and exit signing is cool too.

It does the same thing when there are different limits for towing and you have a trailer attached - adjusts the speeds to the towing limits

One more little surprise, my A3 emits more than what it says on tin.

...yes 40% more :(

Reactions: JohnM100
Something I found out the other day, by accident. If you're stopped and the stop start is initiated. Double tapping the brake will start the engine again.

Not 40% more but 40x more (4000% more!!!)

Also probably only applies to US cars with AdBlue.

This particular thing maybe, but if that was going on, it's likely they were cheating in other areas too which will affect the cars here - petrol and diesel - and I don't think it'll just be VW either. Going to be interesting times ahead.

Bump for recent or new members, this is well worth a read from front to back, you will almost certainly learn some thing you didn't know...

Reactions: DJAlix, vamos, Matthew_S3 and 4 others
Bump for recent or new members, this is well worth a read from front to back, you will almost certainly learn some thing you didn't know...
I agree. This was one of my favorite threads.

If your in the album browser and have loads of albums to scroll through right from A (Abba lol !!) then turning the MMI whelp fairly quickly will open a quick find alphanumeric sub menu :-

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
If your in the album browser and have loads of albums to scroll through right from A (Abba lol !!) then turning the MMI whelp fairly quickly will open a quick find alphanumeric sub menu :-

View attachment 79149

Well played there Rob!! It does the same in the artist and album sub-categories too :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
Well played there Rob!! It does the same in the artist and album sub-categories too :)

I've got quite a bit of stuff on a 128Gb card and before I realised this I'd be sat there forever turning the wheel - I could have connected the drive shaft to it and powered the car by jog dial !!!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and Simon L
Read through as best as I could and not seen anyone mention it so far.

When you want to switch back from manual to auto or engage manual mode (without holding the flap until it resets) with the S-Tronic you can flip the gear lever to the left and back to upright very easily.

Discovered whilst leaning on it funny at lights and the car was suddenly refusing to come out of 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 79149
Maybe someone can confirm, but not sure if this works on the FL?
A real pain when going from ABC to ZZ Top lol

Read through as best as I could and not seen anyone mention it so far.

When you want to switch back from manual to auto or engage manual mode (without holding the flap until it resets) with the S-Tronic you can flip the gear lever to the left and back to upright very easily.

Discovered whilst leaning on it funny at lights and the car was suddenly refusing to come out of 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To switch from manual to auto just pull the gear lever back as you would to switch to S mode and this puts it back into auto, pull back again and switches to S mode.

Reactions: AdamInKent, Djs3saloon, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
I was in my FL yesterday. Headlight set to 0 / off as I was just sitting in it. When the light started to fade, it popped up a warning to turn headlights on, as I normally have it in Auto lights mode.

Reactions: AdamInKent and Audi Bairn
My DIS is set to showing speed, but when you first get in and start up the DIS shows mileage, time, date and then reverts to what you originally set it at.

Hi,

I previously had a Golf 5 GTI which produced DSG "farts" under acceleration on up changes. I now have an A3 1.8 TFSI STronic - is there a standard setting that would replicate that?

Hi,

I previously had a Golf 5 GTI which produced DSG "farts" under acceleration on up changes. I now have an A3 1.8 TFSI STronic - is there a standard setting that would replicate that?

The S3 does it if the Engine/Exhaust sound is set to Dynamic in Drive Select, not sure about 'regular' S-Tronic models but worth a try.

Trivia: You don't get the 'farts' when launching as it's actually slower.

Reactions: leonwol
Matrix LED headlights: Driving in the fog recently, I was about to drop full beam to dipped beam but the car did it automatically. Curiously the dash icon remained the blue headlight icon but with 'AUTO' and didn't revert to white with 'AUTO' next to it for dipped beam.

At a guess, the camera couldn't work out what was going on so dropped to dipped beam.

If the key battery is getting low, when you next start the car, the dash will inform you of the low battery status, and a small yellow key icon will appear on the dash, until the battery is changed.

Matrix LED headlights: Driving in the fog recently, I was about to drop full beam to dipped beam but the car did it automatically. Curiously the dash icon remained the blue headlight icon but with 'AUTO' and didn't revert to white with 'AUTO' next to it for dipped beam.

At a guess, the camera couldn't work out what was going on so dropped to dipped beam.
I found my headlights did the same, but then struggled to start working again in less foggy areas.
I've got another issue with the matrix headlights on my car, that I would be interested to know if it is the same on your car. When a car goes past a segment on the opposite side turns off and on again (essentially flashing on busy roads) for no apparent reason.
Video of the issue is here - https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av5fHjfeNSN_hcZ_89KhM8QX1vqqqQ?e=A3uLOY

It seems to be 2022 models, as I had an early 2021 S3 with Matrix and it didn't have the issue.

That doesn’t look right, but you have an 8Y not an 8V so may be worth asking in the 8Y section.

Reactions: AHarris