Little surprises?

But you raise a good point, I'm surprised how other roadusers act when they are close to an Audi.
Before this car I had a Kia and atm. I see a lot more resentment/aggression with drivers around me.
I've been cut off more in the last month (I have the car a month now) than in the rest of the year. Same with tailgaiting (and I'm not a very slow driver)
I had the same problem with Audi drivers when I owned a Ford...

Reactions: Jassyo06
When selecting "R" on a DSG - there is a brief delay before the reversing lights come on.

This is especially useful, when you want to do a ignition reset (keys out) - at the traffic lights, as you can't remove the keys unless its in "P". It saves the driver behind having kittens when he sees your white reversing lights, when you go from D to P, and back again.

(The most frequent reason I do an ignition reset mid-journey is if the DSG clutches feel lurchy or snatchy on that journey - a quick ignition reset at the lights sorts it out. Other reasons have been to reset ACC etc.)

I love cars, irrespective of badge ;)
You're a diehard Audi fanboi :)

Anyway shhh, stop derailing this thread.

DSG is German for Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe, or Direct Shift Gearbox, which is the type of gearbox a dual clutch gearbox is (Borg Warner owns this application in the VW Audi Group).

Audi just choose to use a trademark, S-tronic to describe a DSG gearbox. BMW call theirs M-DCT, Porsche PDK, Mitsubishi, SST, Renault DCT.

(The DSG/S-tronic gearbox in your car was made by VW in their Kassel plant)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Blackwhite
Just found out today. May be well known but here it goes.

Have you noticed that the wipers sometimes do a little jerk when you stop the engine? I used to think it was a (minor) fault. Turns out, it's a feature, not a bug. The car does that so that the wipers are not always in the exact same position while they are at rest. That prevents the rubber to stick to the glass and possibly lose shape. So, by doing that, the car helps the wipers last longer.

Reactions: David83S3
I noticed today that when I unlocked the car using the remote fob, I didn't actually go into the car, and after about a minute it automatically locks itself.

Hold down the unlock button on the key and your windows will open slightly on both sides (Front windows)

Hold down the unlock button on the key and your windows will open slightly on both sides (Front windows)
They'll open all the way if you carry on holding the button ;) likewise it shuts them if you hold the lock button

Reactions: VBA3udi and David83S3
If you have keyless entry you can also use the door handles open/lock feature to open close the windows :)

Reactions: KeepItTidy and pat15312
Whilst the radio/music volume is turned down for reversing (to better hear the reversing beeps with the parking sensors) the sound volume does not turn down when reversing if you are on a hands-free phone call at the time. Nice!

Reactions: LuisM and lucas-suisse
Can be disabled in MMI car settings. For people like me, who have accidentally pressed in their pocket to return to the car finding all the windows open!

Reactions: David83S3
Happened to me on my last car and rained overnight - luckily it was a case of just wiping down the leather with a tea towel.

My MMI is set to just tilt the sunroof and nothing else. Some useful stuff here wish I'd read it all before I got my car. The only one I can add that I've not seen mentioned is to upload the car manual from the CD that came with it into the MMI then the Handbook soft key will work.

The rattle from my turbo is certainly a surprise and funnily enough not mentioned in the manual.

Reactions: richinsoton, khoughton88, JM11EEE and 7 others
They'll open all the way if you carry on holding the button ;) likewise it shuts them if you hold the lock button
does the pano roof as well but annoyingly you have to keep the button pressed to shut it fully

I love cars, irrespective of badge ;)
You're a diehard Audi fanboi :)

Anyway shhh, stop derailing this thread.

DSG is German for Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe, or Direct Shift Gearbox, which is the type of gearbox a dual clutch gearbox is (Borg Warner owns this application in the VW Audi Group).

Audi just choose to use a trademark, S-tronic to describe a DSG gearbox. BMW call theirs M-DCT, Porsche PDK, Mitsubishi, SST, Renault DCT.

(The DSG/S-tronic gearbox in your car was made by VW in their Kassel plant)

I prefer the Audi stronic name. The VW name DSG sound like a disease.

Reactions: The Challinor and Jassyo06
he's not arguing that, he said he prefers the name S-tronic rather than DSG

I never knew that the iPhone app allowed the streaming of music on the phone, not just internet radio. Awesome, especially when it never works over the wire (at least for me).

.. now just wanting to reverse engineer the protocol and make a spotify client that can be MMI controlled.

Reactions: elpaulio
Happened to me on my last car and rained overnight...
Been there, done that, switched it off!

I like that the A3 static cornering lights come on when the indicators are used. So cool.

My wife noticed today that the cigarette lighter socket lights up when it was getting dark to indicate that the car lights had automatically come on. Is that just part of the interior light pack? (Maybe that had already been mentioned - soz) Can also tell that the lights have not automatically come on in the fog when it is not dark enough.

Is there a better way to know if the lights have automatically come on?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68

The green headlamp symbols on the switch light up - prob would be better if they were on the dash display.

My wife noticed today that the cigarette lighter socket lights up when it was getting dark to indicate that the car lights had automatically come on. Is that just part of the interior light pack? (Maybe that had already been mentioned - soz) Can also tell that the lights have not automatically come on in the fog when it is not dark enough.

Have a look in this thread: ;)
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/automatic-lights.229908/#post-2294646

Reactions: AdamInKent
Little surprises? I think the biggest surprise is that when reading through this thread it makes me wonder how many people actually bother to read the manual that audi give you with the car :idea:

Reactions: richinsoton
Little surprises? I think the biggest surprise is that when reading through this thread it makes me wonder how many people actually bother to read the manual that audi give you with the car :idea:

Come on Mark, real men don't read manuals ;)

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant
Come on Mark, real men don't read manuals ;)
That's probably why they know so little about the car they are driving and ask silly questions on the forum!!

Reactions: richinsoton, Snibo, Wondering Soul and 2 others
I like that u don't need to release the handbrake, just start driving and it releases :) I got that from the manual by the way!

I like that u don't need to release the handbrake, just start driving and it releases :) I got that from the manual by the way!

Good man, Mark will be pleased ;)

....... Only if you have your seatbelt fastened

Reactions: lucas-suisse
Well I didn't think it necessary to mention the obvious lol

And if I want to reverse my car out of the garage without having to put my seatbelt, I have to press the foot brake before I can release the parking brake using the switch.

Reactions: Rob2k68