Location of CAN gateway (and access to it)

Dippy

Reaction score
Has anyone opened up their B8 dash enough to be able to access the CAN gateway? I believe that it is mounted to the framework of the dash just to the right of the MMI screen. I am going to need to take out the MMI head in order to access the cable to the screen, but also access the plug to the CAN gateway. I am wondering if I can access it from within the space behind the head unit or if I am going to have to remove some dash trim. I suspect that I will have to, and it will be the bolster below the steering wheel (on my RHD car). Does anyone know for sure?

(Post duplicated in B8 A5 forum)

Just out of interest why do you need access to it?

You need to remove the glove box. Six bolts three bolts at the top and two at the bottom plus one on the left hand side which needs the cover for the passengers side fuse box removed to access it. The gateway is on the right.

Reactions: V6_Man
Yes, on a RHD car it is on the passenger side. With the glovebox removed it can be easily accessed and is on the right side of the footwell. I've attached a picture .
Gateway

Reactions: V6_Man
Had to access it for my active exhaust, as stated just drop the glove box down into the footwell, I didn't need to disconnect any wires from the glovebox making it a lot quicker to put back together. The CAN is on the right secured by a bolt, once this bolt is undone it slides out for even easier access.