Locking car with spare keyfob while engine is running with 1st keyfob

s3_trev

Northern Ireland
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been looking everywhere for answers on this. Basically I am wondering if its possible to start my car with my main key, then lock it using the button on the spare keyfob.

My car does not have keyless entry and I cannot find any Remote Control with "Terminal 15 ON" inactive in vcds, which leads me to believe I am out of luck.

Reference to terminal 15 at this link - The Audi A1 Forum • View topic - VCDS - Lock the car with the fob, with the engine running

I CAN lock the car by putting the actual key in the door but I would prefer to be able to lock it via the keyfob.

Apologies if this has been answered before, I did do a search but nothing came up.

Thanks.

Have you tried it?
Also it's illegal to leave a car running even if locked i thought, also insurance claim will be fun.

Have you tried it?
Also it's illegal to leave a car running even if locked i thought, also insurance claim will be fun.

Yes I have tried to do it but failed hence the reason for this post. And I am well aware of the legal aspects.

Reactions: LEE69
why would you want to lock with car running ?
but from what i know it cant be done

It isnt possible to use the remote fob while key is in ignition and turned on. After reprogramming a remote i always have to remove key completely from ignition to test its function.

Reactions: s3_trev
why would you want to lock with car running ?
but from what i know it cant be done

Cold mornings. Start car and put heating on, then lock it which you go back inside for few mins. Pretty obvious really...

It isnt possible to use the remote fob while key is in ignition and turned on. After reprogramming a remote i always have to remove key completely from ignition to test its function.

Ok cheers buddy, was thinking as much :-(

There may be an option to retrofit an auxiliary heater, depending how often you go out in cold mornings as to feasibility.

Reactions: ninjakid
There may be an option to retrofit an auxiliary heater, depending how often you go out in cold mornings as to feasibility.
Hmm naa wouldnt be interested in that at all mate.
you could always just try to manually lock it with the emergency blade. Not sure if it would lock every door while engine is running as never tried it
Yeah that works fine. Locks every door with engine running no problem using spare key. So I always have that option to fall back on.
Heated seats warm up really quickly!
Hmm yeah true but even with your **** warm it can still be cold, then if you need to defrost the windows etc etc, although I normally keep the car in the garage this time of year so its not that bad.

Get viper smart start fitted from car audio security for £399

I had that in my old x5 but was factory fitted, I could either switch it on by remote when I woke up or set it with a timer, I only used couple times though to be honest .

You could always grow a pair and man up to the cold lol or maybe buy a fleece.

Reactions: hendry10, y2kcurran and Alex_007
Hi guys just wanted to update this thread to say I have now successfully enabled this function in VCDS. The "Terminal 15" option seemed to appear with the latest release of VCDS.

could also try clifford remote start but that would also mean buying a clifford alarm. it does suit your needs perfectly though.

drop me a PM if you need further info.

aftermarket remote starts would be the best (and legal) option

doesn't require keys in the ignition and the car cant be moved as the engine cuts out deliberately when pedals are pressed

Surely with the aftermarket remote starts they'd have to bypass the immobiliser to fool the car that the key is in the ignition?

Usually by cutting out the chip in your key and sticking it behind the steering covers, by the ignition. Imagine telling your insurance company when someone hot wires it as the car thinks the key is there!!

They used to work great on pre90's motors as they only needed a 12v supply to the coil pack or stop solenoid

So now you can lock the car from the spare fob?