Long term ownership advice - S3

Eren S3

Pretending to know what I'm doing.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've had the car coming up 2 years now and it's just about at a place where I love it and the list of jobs to do has almost been completed.

I've been toying with the idea of selling the S3 to fund a Toyota Soarer (please don't boot me out for using such bad language on a German car forum!) however now I am almost certain I want to keep the S3 for much longer.

My question is: aside from all of the preventative maintenance things to take care of, to which most of it I have done, what else should I be looking to refurbish, upgrade or change in order to keep her going for as long as I can? I'm approaching 138,000 miles now with a new clutch and flywheel fitted less than a year ago. The cam belt and water pump will be booked in this week.

It has been remapped and has a full Milltek decat system so I appreciate some of the things I'll need to do will be in line with the extra power and strain on the car however at the moment I'm not planning on chasing any more power.

Thanks all, looking forward to the responses.
All the best,
Eren.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hi,
I think you need to give us a list of what you have done to your car and then we can advise from there.

Sounds like Engine and Haldex servicing is about all you'll need to do to keep it running well for a few more miles.
I thought I would have had the highest mileage S3 with 134,000 miles on the clock!

Sounds like you’re on top of it all. Maybe time for cosmetic changes - steering wheel recover, leather trip... Doesn’t keep the car going for longer but keeps the interest up.

Mine must be barely run in, just over 62,000

Going to replace brake lines and fluid next month and get haldex service done, any recommendations what else to get done while I’m spending ££££

138k ? it's just loosened up
Enjoy it

Reactions: S.
Bryan...dont look for things to buy, people on here will spend your money in a flash :)
I bought my S3 new, its now on 91k, original coil packs, i changed the pcv but there was nothing wrong with the old one....its had a plug change but again there was nothing wrong with the old ones, didn't even need gapping at 50k miles..Just keep on top of your oil changes and one day think about changing your IC as they do fill with oil and leak boost over time.

Bryan...dont look for things to buy, people on here will spend your money in a flash :)
I bought my S3 new, its now on 91k, original coil packs, i changed the pcv but there was nothing wrong with the old one....its had a plug change but again there was nothing wrong with the old ones, didn't even need gapping at 50k miles..Just keep on top of your oil changes and one day think about changing your IC as they do fill with oil and leak boost over time.

I’ve got the DV+ on, oil change due in 50/60 days, while dipstick has been replaced with new yellow version, intercooler has been replaced & got silicone hoses, just need a bigger one of them
(Can’t remember name lol it’s early)

5bd74e234915de5373d24998baae88cc.jpg

I've just fitted a re-trimmed flat bottom steering wheel to my A3 quattro - £200 off eBay - makes me smile every drive.........
IMG 5940

Reactions: Bryant1998
Sorry everyone, I've been struck with a severe case of man flu and I've only just resurfaced so I will be getting back to all of your responses!

So far the responses are positive which I like, I'm glad I seem to have done all I need to do. I emphasise NEED to do. Which now leaves me with the things I WANT to do! :smirk:

Sounds like Engine and Haldex servicing is about all you'll need to do to keep it running well for a few more miles.
I thought I would have had the highest mileage S3 with 134,000 miles on the clock!

Now that I can do. I don't mind doing services myself between the larger ones! Just pipped you I guess with 137k :)
To be fair, you wouldn't think it had that many miles with how it drives.

Sounds like you’re on top of it all. Maybe time for cosmetic changes - steering wheel recover, leather trip... Doesn’t keep the car going for longer but keeps the interest up.

That's good to hear! I'll make sure I keep on top of everything at least. I wouldn't mind a new steering wheel actually, either re-trimmed or a flat bottom...

Mine must be barely run in, just over 62,000

Going to replace brake lines and fluid next month and get haldex service done, any recommendations what else to get done while I’m spending ££££

Brakes are almost certainly something I'm interested in changing although I know it's a whole new can of worms which I'm not quite ready to open yet. Where do I begin?!

138k ? it's just loosened up
Enjoy it

That's what I like to hear :)

I've just fitted a re-trimmed flat bottom steering wheel to my A3 quattro - £200 off eBay - makes me smile every drive.........View attachment 197747

That is something I could get used to looking at. Oh I can see this being a thread I regret starting now with the list of things I can do now haha!

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
I’m just going to change the brake lines, probably won’t do myself as only got gravel driveway on a slight incline so not ideal at all. Plenty of big brake options out there, think Porsche brakes seem to be best option in regard to performance/cost/ease of install/looks etc

I’ll just get a set of HEL lines in the next couple of months

I would be changing ALL the fluids if keeping it for a few more years. Mine is 10 yrs old and 60k miles so a complete fluid change this coming year.

I would be changing ALL the fluids if keeping it for a few more years. Mine is 10 yrs old and 60k miles so a complete fluid change this coming year.

When you say all fluids, what are we talking?
Oil, haldex oil, brake fluid, hydraulic fluid? What else?

+
Rear diff oil.
Bevel box oil.

Reactions: Bryant1998
Gearbox oil aswell or leave that alone?

If it's an s-tronic it should be changed together with a new filter every 60000km (~40k miles?)
The manual option I don't now the intervals of. But rather change it for peace of mind if you dont know how old the oil is.

If it's an s-tronic it should be changed together with a new filter every 60000km (~40k miles?)
The manual option I don't now the intervals of. But rather change it for peace of mind if you dont know how old the oil is.

It’s manual, probably just get it all done at the same time then cheers

All the above, manual gearbox oil is for life but the average life according to any car maker is 8years. When you drain the old oil you’ll see why it should be done.
Gearbox oil aswell or leave that alone?

Reactions: KKOG and Bryant1998