Long time lurker, first time poster. 2.5 TDI AKE oil temp question

dal0037

Reaction score
Hi All,
Been lurking for a long time, using search for all that i needed to know, including timing belt (et al)service. This site is awesome, adamss24 the things you contribute are amazing.

Anyway, im having some trouble getting a definitive answer on engine oil temp. I'm in Australia, although it is cold here in Sydney at the moment. I use my 2002 Allroad 2.5tdi (AKE) mainly to tow my 1400kg caravan (i have a VW Polo 1.6 TDI as a daily). My oil temp when not towing is around 90-98 degress celsius (I have a FIS control FIS-Control great bit of gear that) that tells me my temps through the DIS/FIS (the little red screen in the cluster). When towing the oil temp usually sits around 104 degrees on the flat at 90KM/H (55 ish MPH) with the van on, however it can raise to up to 120 on steep consistent inclines. Is this too high? My trans temp is pretty good, around 80 mostly with torque converter locked. My coolant temp is good, 90-100. I have a remap from Speer chip tuning in Germany on the ECU.

This car must be one of the best tow cars going.

Thanks to all who contribute to this site, great stuff. I hope i get to give back something one day too!

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Where you located? Any pics of the car? Enjoy the forum. :) x

Great tip, thanks, I filled out the bio, my allroad is a 2002 AKE 2.5 tdi. In Australia we had fixed services, so we dont have as many of the chocolate camshaft problems. Its a big auto market though in Australia, so we have more tiptronic issues here. Luckily mine has a rebuilt trans, and i have done an oil change. I got a remap from Speer tuning in Germany, very easy to do, you upload your current file, they send you the modified one. Well worth the money and quite reasonable on the wallet too.

As for my Polo, i had to get another VAG product, but i cant quite come at the A1, so a polo it was...

Reactions: Sandra
You should be ok towing that outfit, i use mine for towing double on stock oil cooler. I am planning to use a smaller oil cooler from the 150 Bhp FWD a4 and use a thermostatic sandwich plate and a Mocal oil cooler. The curent cooler is large and with the sandwich plate it will hit the ac compressor...

I am seeking answer for the same problem,for the same car for a friend.
Just to compare between cars, I have a FWD 2.5tdi 150hp A6 with manual trans and it never gets over 90.