Longer Locking Wheel Nuts?

_GRP_

Q3 S-Line
Reaction score
So, going to be fitting some different Audi wheels to my car soon.
I'm lead to believe standard Audi wheel bolts are:

Thread Size: M14 x 1.5
Radius Head
27mm Length

Going to be using 7mm spacers, so I'm assuming I need 34mm -ish bolts.
I can find longer length bolts OK, but not locking bolts.. any ideas?

McGard supply differing lengths of security bolts as well as "wheel fitting sets" some only in chrome but some also in chemi blackened finish, but they only work if you stick with Audi original fit wheels, after market wheels as well as tending to have tapered heads also have smaller diameter bolt recesses.

If you are going non Audi wheels, then there are plenty companies that supply security bolts with smaller diameter to fit down into aftermarket wheels, there is one Italian company that do quality bolts and security bolts in many lengths.

Edit:- you are correct the bolts are M14 X 1.5 X 27mm with 17mm hex heads, radiused heads.

Another Edit:- Brimecc is one company name.

Reactions: Eldeano2
McGard supply differing lengths of security bolts as well as "wheel fitting sets" some only in chrome but some also in chemi blackened finish, but they only work if you stick with Audi original fit wheels, after market wheels as well as tending to have tapered heads also have smaller diameter bolt recesses.

If you are going non Audi wheels, then there are plenty companies that supply security bolts with smaller diameter to fit down into aftermarket wheels, there is one Italian company that do quality bolts and security bolts in many lengths.

Edit:- you are correct the bolts are M14 X 1.5 X 27mm with 17mm hex heads, radiused heads.

Another Edit:- Brimecc is one company name.

Thanks for your help.
Yes sticking with standard Audi wheels, but because the offset is slightly different I'll need to use some 7mm spacers to ensure the rim is moved away from the suspension strut. So if a standard Audi bolt is M14 X 1.5 X 27mm with 17mm hex heads, radiused heads, I'll need a bolt with around a 34mm shank/thread to allow for the 7mm spacer.

I've looked at McGuard but they only seem to do a bolt in a R12 radius and from I can see Audi are R13?https://shop.mcgard.de/automotive/w...th=136&filter_thread=36&filter_wrench_size=43

Also found these, but it doesn't mention anything other then it being a radius seat
https://www.larkspeed.com/shopper/i/LB167

Any ideas?

Get direct mount spacers instead.
Spacers bolt to hub with supplied countersunk bolts, wheels bolt to spacers, using your existing wheel bolts.

Get direct mount spacers instead.
Spacers bolt to hub with supplied countersunk bolts, wheels bolt to spacers, using your existing wheel bolts.

Ouch, bad advice, M14 bolts need a minimum of roughly 16mm thickness of bolting into steel spacer, but the OP needs to use 7mm so no go there if staying alive is the plan.

Edit:- I thought that they list R13 for Audi and standard kit 68058, so you would need to find a "+7mm" version of them.
Not the best parts website in the world as it might be difficult to find out what exactly is in any kit/set with reference to which p/n the bolts are!

Last edited:
Reactions: CHEZ
Ouch, bad advice, M14 bolts need a minimum of roughly 16mm thickness of bolting into steel spacer, but the OP needs to use 7mm so no go there if staying alive is the plan.

My bad
Yes correct, just checked and the actual size of these type of spacers, are typically 20mm plus in thickness because of that very reason.
So basically 7mm direct mount spacers don't exist lol.
I should have realised really because I needed 10mm fronts for mine and couldn't get them for some reason.
That being the reason lol.
The 20mm rears were not a problem.
So back to square one then.....

Last edited:
Bimecc web cat lists Audi wheel bolts as R13 and 2PCS as they should really have a retained washer. They list 2 lengths - the standard length and a length "+7mm" . These bolts are the correct high strength ones as is all Brimecc bolts/nuts for wheels.

Edit:- Bimecc NOT Brimecc!!

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.
Got two options, so McGard got back to me with these:

28032SU (chrome) / 28032SUB (black)
Dimensions: M14x1.5, radius seat 12mm, shaft length 34.5mm, hex size 17mm)
So not an R13, but with them only being 1mm difference they suggest this won't be an issue

and I found a UK company called Grayston that do these:
Dimensions: M14x1.5, radius seat 14mm, shaft length 33mm, hex size 17mm)

So all I need to do know is remove an existing bolt to check the thread length is as suggested 27mm.
I guess it would be better to go with McGard which would mean the bolt is 0.5mm longer then required, once I've taken into consideration the 7mm spacer.