longlife- cam chain

briskmedal_3

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to buy either an A5 or A4 3.0 tdi.

Found one with service history intervals as:

Its a 2010 car. Is the service history a cause for concern, would this cause issues with the chain? I will be changing intervals to every 10k. Its a CCW engine.

Any help would be much appreciated

Service history looks fine, as its been longlife 20k by those numbers.

Reactions: briskmedal_3
Not a fan of the first three services .

Does it rattle from cold start up ?

Reactions: audiwaterpump and briskmedal_3
The chain isn't the issue it's the tensioners. If the car was doing a lot of mileage on the motorway over the first two services it's not as bad as doing say 16K miles of short stop start journeys. @bobby singh has loads of experience with these.

Reactions: audiwaterpump, briskmedal_3 and Gazwould
That's right it's poor oil quality and mega stop starts that wears the priming ability of the tensioner .

Stretched or worn chains are uncommon .

Reactions: briskmedal_3
Have a listen to it on a cold startup if possible. If it rattles for a short 1-2 seconds and then goes quiet as it comes to life, it's likely fine and not worth worrying about on that basis.

The chain isn't the issue it's the tensioners. If the car was doing a lot of mileage on the motorway over the first two services it's not as bad as doing say 16K miles of short stop start journeys. @bobby singh has loads of experience with these.
Thanks for that.
Would it be worth changing the tensioners then, even if theres no noise?

I too have another make of car plagued with timing chain tensioner issues but not a hint of chain rattle not even after an oil change .

I change oil often and permanently disabled the stop strain .

If it ain't broke don't fix it , in this case .

I too have another make of car plagued with timing chain tensioner issues but not a hint of chain rattle not even after an oil change .

I change oil often and permanently disabled the stop strain .

If it ain't broke don't fix it , in this case .
Stop start?