Longlife servicing good or bad?

afcjay

Reaction score
Ive just picked up a 2.0 tdi which has been serviced as per the longlife service plan.

Its due a service in a few thousand miles and i was wondering what peoples views were on the longlife service plan.

Its the first car ive had which has been serviced in this way but im used to servicing my cars every 10-12k with a oil change in between eg 5 or 6k especially past turbo cars ive had

What are peoples thoughts on longlife sevicing? I dont like the idea of not changing the oil and filter especially on turbo cars.I know the oil may be made for the job but dont like the idea myself

Up to you but i've not long got a 170 quattro and i'll not be leaving it 18 mnths till i give it fresh blood.
Price of long life oil it may work out cheaper aswell!

According to most indy's Ive spoken to they seem to think there are several reasons to avoid the longlife servicing with it leading to increased problems later on in the cars life. Mines was one of the few TDI's I found that has actually been on a 10k service schedule for most of its life which I liked.

Mines only needed 2 longlife services in the past but really would prefer a 10-12k service plan from now on.

Out of intrest what oil are people using when doing 10-12k servicing?

My 2.0TFSi was on a long life service plan and the first oil change came up at 9k miles due to the short runs it was doing. IMO the big manufacturers haven't invested millions in R&D along with the oil companies to keep cars away from the dealers for longer without the engines and oils being able to withstand it. How many threads pop up from any modern cars with long life services asking why the engines are worn out, none that I've seen. The days of yearly oil changes with old mineral oil are long gone.

The only cars I would do 5k oil changes on are high performance engines running silly power.

when you drain the oil and change the filter on any car after 10-12k it doest look good to me and the thought of not changing it for so long puts me off longlife tbh

ive made my mind up im going to switch to a 10k oil and filter change so what 504.00/507.00 oil do people recommend? im thinking mobil 1 but wondered what others are using or recommend for fixed 10k changes?