Looking at 1.9tdi Avant, what to look for..

66Montego

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im guessing you've all seen and heard these posts, but I have just joined this forum as I am on the look out for a 1.9tdi avant, FWD/or Quattro.

I have seen alot on the autotrader, at very reasonable prices, albeit with a few miles on them now..is this an issue? As the car in question will hopefully be with me till it dies.

Im currently running a 118d 58 plate, which is a nice car, but i dont think this is a kind of car you an run into the ground so to speak, and I can release a nice bit of money p/x if i find nice audi towards a house maybe...oh the joys! :S

So the main questions are will a 2004 plate audi be a great companion for my 25k a year commute, reliable, cheap to fix, good 1.9tdi well-proven engine, is the later face-lifted B7 better, 55plate+?

Any help and advice would be great, and lets hope I can buy one soon and show you guys what i got :)

B6 1.9 is an excellent candidate although it will be more louder than your BM.

B7 has its fair share of issues. B6 and B7 share the same platform however have different powertrain. Shares the similar interior.

Only flaw I think with the 1.9 B6 is that it can be under powered when you get used to so nothing a remap can sort out :cool:

B6 1.9 is an excellent candidate although it will be more louder than your BM.

B7 has its fair share of issues. B6 and B7 share the same platform however have different powertrain. Shares the similar interior.

Only flaw I think with the 1.9 B6 is that it can be under powered when you get used to so nothing a remap can sort out :cool:

Thanks for you reply...refinement will be down noise-wise I expected that, not really an issue for me really sitting at 70mph everyday, I just want a car that will just go and go, quattro would be nice as i live rural, but do these cause issues?

I thought the b6 and b7 share the same 1.9tdi engine but with different power outputs, 115bhp against the older 100, and 130bhp (6speed) in the b6?

so reliability wise it is just the usual, turbo, clutch, dmf issue to look out for on the 1.9tdis? Same as every car really. Are they relatively cheap to fix in relation to my bmw being the N47 engine? My mechanic said the 1.9tdi engine is...quoting him.."awesome" 2.0tdi is abit of a "lemon"

As I have found a few 55plate-06plate 1.9tdi TDV 115 fairly cheap, with 100k+ mileage on, but a remap would be a future thing i think.

Just want to know everything before I swap :)

1.9TDI avant quattros are indeed a rare commodity. The last B6s (2004) will be 100k+ mileage cars, but this shouldn't put you off. They'll do 250k easily with regular oil changes. Like everything, history is everything so I'd want to see paperwork and lots of it. If its been on long service intervals (every 20k), opt to renew every 10k if you plan on keeping it.

Timing belt needs to be renewed every 60k or 4 years. Worth doing auxilliary belts and water pump and renew genuine Audi thermostat at the same time. Cars on original suspension arms can be brought back to life with new Lemforder or Meyle parts, and renew ARB bushes front and rear.

No real issues to speak of, apart from slow front wiper, window washer pipe breaks, rear wiper motor fail, flooded plenum chamber, DIS display, ABS kicks in (rear ABS reluctor ring split), corrosion on panels (tailgate or front arches), can sometimes be attributed to poor repair, glovebox hinge, etc.

This would definitely be worth looking at. Over-priced, but with a bit of negotiation... you never know.
Audi A4 1.9 TDI 130 Quattro Sport 5dr FULL SPORTS LEATHER & GMBH KIT 2004

Great thanks spartacus 68, that is quite a comprehensive list of things to check and good to know, and yes 10k oil service sound about right anyways, never get the long-life idea, preventative maintenance...indeed i never buy a car without service history and I dont even buy until I get a AA comprehensive checklist done, anal or what! But never know with cars..peace of mind

Funny'ily enough i was just looking at that audi you linked its been on there for a while, just abit far for me to travel tbh, im in the cheshire area, finding one near-by is an issue..an avant would suit me perfectly, rather than a saloon, just for practical reasons.

But yeah dont come across many avants in quattro form on a 1.9tdi, saloons there is a few..wonder why?

Thanks for your help, almost cemented my decision just got to find one!

hi pal,i went for a b6 because i wanted the 1.9 tdi engine but i believe you can get b7 with it fitted.
alot of people think the 2.0 isnt as good as the 1.9 but to be honest i think theyve gotten better with age but yes generally the 1.9 is more bullet proof in my oppinon as being a past mechanic, i like to refer to it as a tractor engine, slightly noisey but reliable and great for mpg and goes pretty well with a remap.
mines the 130 and it went fairly well before i mapped it.
i'd recommend a 6 speed if your going on the mway,ive got a 5 speed box but wish i had that extra gear just to bring the revs down when cruising on the mway but i still get 60mpg at 70-80!
look for front wings rusty they always rust,also some b6 had bodywork problems with something to do with the way they was painted at factory but you'll see it and they are getting old anyway.
service wise,if your not going to do the work yourself then check for history and usual bits u mentioned, i do all mine and theyre very easy to work on like doing cambelt, the front end comes off easy enough then its all in front of you, gearbox aint that hard to remove just a couple of fiddly bolts!
all in all a pretty decent car in my oppinion coming from a e46 beemer,the best thing for me is room of the avant for my family and the mpg is brilliant! 40's round town and 60-70 mway

Hi mate, thanks for your help also, very friendly forum this :) yeah ive seen a few 55plates up to 08 with 1.9tdi in albeit with TDV on the end, think this is something to do with emissions? The b6 seems alot cheaper as i really need to release money from my bmw really so this is looking like a good thing. Good to know they are easy to work on, i tend to just do little things like filters and oil, big jobs i leave to my trusty mechanic friend, who seems to think these engines are a joy to work on, so this will cut labour rates i suppose ha :D

end of the day i just want a car to not worry about, and cheap to fix if the inevitable goes bang! Run it till it needs scrapping. With the avant i can chuck my gear in the back, mountain bike clobber and the odd dog (k9 variety of course) 6 speed i think is a good buy for motorway your right in 130 guise, should be enough torque in there for me anyways :) just the dilema of SE or Sport now..hmmm sport looks nice and suckered to the ground, with the 17"s though tyre prices might be an issue for me and my mileage..dont think ive ever bought 235 tyres before! Biggest ive gone are 205's

b7 with 1.9tdi engine Audi A4 1.9 AVANT TDI SE 5d 115 BHP 2005

Last edited:
Thanks I have seen these on the trader, but think ive narrowed it down to a SE model now, thanks anyway for your recommendations

I'm in Tarporley and my car might be up for sale on tuesday after my mechanic has checked an A8 for me - I've already put a deposit down. Mine is a 1.9tdi 130bhp Sport Avant Quattro 6 speed and is on 63k miles and I've just fitted 312 brake upgrade too!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...ssis/164507-black-avant-sport-trim-added.html

Oh right really, well let me know what price your looking at, really wanted to p/x with a car with my beamer, too much hassle selling privately from past experiences :( use it as abit of a hangler maybe, but interested to know, thanks