Looking at S5 V8’s.

HollowmanVIII

Driver
Reaction score
Always had the itch for the S5 V8 but concerned about running costs and maintenance. I do approximately 300 miles a week, however 80% of that is motorway miles. Am I ever likely to see 30mpg? I just don’t want to fork out something close to £100 a week on fuel.

What are main things to look out for? I’m only budgeting with 11k so looking at 57/08 plates at the moment.

My other options were a E92 335i/335d but the V8 is too tempting.

Yea wont get close to 30MPG mate...

My V6 was more economical and my old commute was 80% motorway at about 40miles and I never got above 22MPG....

Expect about 20MPG.

Things to look out for include carbon build up and clutch issues. Read a fair few owners have issues with their clutch on both manual and auto.

22mpg! Ouch!

I was getting about 280 miles to a tank, and filling up every weekend about £60/70 depending on fuel prices.

Was worth it though...especially as now I have no car and spend £80 a week getting a packed train...

Reactions: Liam Moore and Terminator x
My tuned V6 gets~28mpg (UK gallons) on a mix of A/B/motorway on a 30 mile commute. That's real mpg measured via miles done vs gallons put in the tank and not on the DIS. I do around 300miles per week and fill up once a week spending ~£60. I'd expect the V8 to be less economic - perhaps by 20-30% so look at £70-£80 as a per week cost.

Reactions: Liam Moore
Definitely something to consider. The 335d seems like a great package but it’s auto only and obviously the sound won’t be great being a D.

What draws me to the S5 especially the v8 is you don’t see loads of them on the road in the UK.

Is high mileage something to be put off by with the S5 V8? I’m talking 110k territory here with an 08 plater.

On the motorway sitting at 70 with cc you should be pushing 30mpg. It's once you are off the motorway the average mpg will drop. If low traffic and not much town driving before and after the motorway I'd imagine you should be able to manage about 25mpg. Maybe even 26.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reactions: HollowmanVIII
I think the reality is a ten year old V8 is always going to cost a fair bit in fuel, tax and potentially repairs. So if the budget is tight/ important, be realistic, add a bit more to that & if you can still get one that is 'good enough' (however you define that) then it may be an option. Otherwise, look elsewhere for now!

Cheers for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. I’m going to view an 08 plate on Monday. Black with cream leather, manual gearbox.

Have any of you upgraded the rear tail lights to LED ones? I’ve seen some post 08 cars with the dot led facelift lights and also the single line led tails seen on most ‘13 plate onwards

Mine has the led tail lights already. To upgrade to the 09-11 led tail lights you just need the units, cable adaptors and some one to code them.

Thanks. I’ve seen a few with the post 13 plate led tail lights as well, is this the same procedure and do they fit as well or did the s5 have a different shape rear bumper at this stage

I can get 25mpg on my short daily commute but thats driving miss daisy style and you don't have a 4.2 so I do 20mpg with spirited driving at times,only distance I did was coming up just shy of 30 on A roads and motorway

@Ash187 can look at your lights issue

Cheers for all the feedback guys. I’m going to look at this one tomorrow so will report back. Have also agreed to a car share with a colleague so that will certainly keep my annual mileage down by about half :d

Ive managed 27.9 on average watch what your doing with the throttle pedal to and from work
But normal day to day is 20/22 mpg
And spirited use is 8/12 mpg

here are a couple I have done for customers:

Halogen to pre-facelift dotted leds:
12940732_1226014814092670_1075836804_n.jpg

Halogen to facelift leds:
12930684_1707766996169109_766709476_n.jpg

Dotted LEDs to facelift LEDs:
11856684_1506643562985568_1988650749_n.jpg

Reactions: THQuattro, voorhees, Radford212 and 1 other person
I've had my v8 for a few months average about 22 -24 on the daily commute, 10 miles a lot of stop start driving on the motorway , I'm actually pleasantly surprised , I had a Mazda 3 mps before it wasn't that much better . On a long drive I've had close to 30 a few times there was a lot of cruising at 60 ish to achieve that but also a few full bore overtakes , pretty good for a v8!
I had a jag v8 a few years ago it was low teens All the time !

Appreciate all the feedback guys. Went to look at a Black S5 with cream interior but it wasn’t the best example, very high mileage and the bodywork and interior was quite tatty in places, I’m not expecting perfection for a 9 year old car but still. Anyway I’m going to view a silver S5 next week, this particular one has the red interior which seems a nice contrast against the silver paint.

What mileage would be the cutoff point for you guys with the V8 S5? Quite a few sitting around 100k with FSH etc and then I found one with 128k again with FSH but the mileage is quite steep. Should I steer clear and look at sub 100k miles?

I think its personal preference and if it has FSH then why not high miler as long as it has been cared for.

Really depends on how long you expect to keep it and how many miles you do. If you get one with 100k and only going to be putting 5k miles a year on it that sounds grand. But if it's 120k and your going to do 12k-20k miles a year then in 3 or 4 years it will be really high which will affect the resale value.

One the for sale in northern Ireland for 8k with over 200k miles on it.

Hi,

I own a black S5 with cream interior and I’m very lucky at the age of 24 to be able to drive it.

Mine was sitting on 75K miles with FSH and 1 previous owner so I was absolutely overjoyed by it, the paint hadn’t really been looked after but I have a buddy who owns his own detailing company so after letting him have it for a couple days it’s back to showroom quality ( bar a couple stone chips ).

I only do about 40-50 miles a week as it’s a bit of a toy so I havnt had any issues with it and I don’t expect too in my ownership, one thing to look out for will be carbon build up. I took it to the rolling road and it came out at 258 HP down almost 100! After getting it cleaned with the hydrogen tech 3 times it is back and sitting at 374.6 ( I had it mapped ). Mine seems to be using a bit of oil but from trawling I can gather that it’s part of the car . Realistic fuel on a good motorway run with the cruise sat at 90 I return a healthy 24MPG around town it’s about 18-20. Insurance for me is reasonable considering my age for a year fully comp with agreed value it was £760 not bad for 24 years of age. And of course the tax which is £48 a month. All in all I think it is bullet proof and any sound of the V8 is worth every penny. One thing DITCH THE STANDARD EXHAUST it does the car no justice at all.

Hope you find your gem I plan to keep mine for a very long time.

Hope this is of use to you.

Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I own a black S5 with cream interior and I’m very lucky at the age of 24 to be able to drive it.

Mine was sitting on 75K miles with FSH and 1 previous owner so I was absolutely overjoyed by it, the paint hadn’t really been looked after but I have a buddy who owns his own detailing company so after letting him have it for a couple days it’s back to showroom quality ( bar a couple stone chips ).

I only do about 40-50 miles a week as it’s a bit of a toy so I havnt had any issues with it and I don’t expect too in my ownership, one thing to look out for will be carbon build up. I took it to the rolling road and it came out at 258 HP down almost 100! After getting it cleaned with the hydrogen tech 3 times it is back and sitting at 374.6 ( I had it mapped ). Mine seems to be using a bit of oil but from trawling I can gather that it’s part of the car . Realistic fuel on a good motorway run with the cruise sat at 90 I return a healthy 24MPG around town it’s about 18-20. Insurance for me is reasonable considering my age for a year fully comp with agreed value it was £760 not bad for 24 years of age. And of course the tax which is £48 a month. All in all I think it is bullet proof and any sound of the V8 is worth every penny. One thing DITCH THE STANDARD EXHAUST it does the car no justice at all.

Hope you find your gem I plan to keep mine for a very long time.

Hope this is of use to you.

Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have yourself a nice example there mate. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I am still looking, it’s surprising how rare they seem to be.

The V8 must sound fantastic with an aftermarket exhaust setup!

The V8 must sound fantastic with an aftermarket exhaust setup!
It is personal preference imho,whilst driving you do not have the full sound of the eight cylinders but why do you need it ? I ditched the tat V8 badges as well as why the frig would I want to tell people its a V8…look at the four pipes and hear the burble when I go past you.
I just love the foot to the ground and no turbo lag/charger squeal just full unadulterated power form the 4.2 litres of power

Reactions: THQuattro
Buy one and enjoy it, if you can't afford the petrol then sell, life,s too short mate.

Reactions: voorhees
Just bumping my original thread. Still on the lookout to finally get an S5 this year. As much as I love my E92 330i coupe, there is just something a bit more special about the look of an S5, plus you don’t see many about compared with a lot of other cars.

If I’m looking at 2008/2009 cars, what is the difference with the MMI? 2G, 3G etc? On my bmw I fitted a cic to get updated maps, menus etc. Can this be done on the s5?

Is anybody running a milltek non res on theres? Most likely my first mod if i get one.

I see the road tax is £555 now or similar? Seems to keep creeping up.

Are there any must have features to get other than the B&O, nav etc

I know you are looking at S5 at the moment if you are not in a hurry have you consider 2008 onwards m3 aswell?

Reactions: Meemo
Following for interest,

Really looking into getting a S5, Mpg don't bother me as I won't need to daily it.

What're the common stuff to look out for when at a dealership, ones in my price range are like 70k-100k miles

41337934 E6A8 46E1 8CC4 3C804D093136
I’ve just put my 2007 Manual S5 V8 up for sale on A’Trader. It’s black with cream leather, loads of options and has 115k miles. Full Audi service history from new with every invoice to support all the work. It was serviced by Poole Audi last month too.

Let me know if you have any ownership questions or buying advice. They are amazing cars, turning every journey into an event!

78E81277 6416 4761 BDF6 E2A7885BCDDE

Reactions: Roadrunner146
Always had the itch for the S5 V8 but concerned about running costs and maintenance. I do approximately 300 miles a week, however 80% of that is motorway miles. Am I ever likely to see 30mpg? I just don’t want to fork out something close to £100 a week on fuel.

What are main things to look out for? I’m only budgeting with 11k so looking at 57/08 plates at the moment.

My other options were a E92 335i/335d but the V8 is too tempting.

In my experience the 4.2 engine returns an acceptable mpg (considering the performance) when driven sensibly. I regularly see 25 - 28mpg average on a mixed drive (see below), however this can very easily become 16mpg average if you ‘stretch your legs’. I’m willing to pay an extra £60 pcm to drive a 4.2 V8 over a 2.0TDI

058828D0 4024 4F0C A522 51DA826593A2

Reactions: WilkoS5 and Roadrunner146
Did you get the pm I sent you hollowman ?

Still on the lookout, the last one sold before I had chance to view it.

Another has come up that’s an auto. Does anybody know what the extra light unit is in the fog light housing? See photo...

a827130551ae89e1c6d3a0a21a22fac9.jpg

Reactions: RS5 JON
That's the radar unit for the Adaptive Cruise Control. Really useful option IMHO :thumbs up:

Reactions: voorhees
Cheers guys, seems to have every spec possible that I’m aware of including a reversing camera.

Anybody know what grill it is? Looks different from stock, although it is a 2009 so has the facelift rear led lights.

Also it’s an auto, does anybody run a milltek on there auto s5’s as they seem to list them as not being suitable for an auto s5 (due to drone perhaps?)

Grill will be this one

Reactions: HollowmanVIII
Well I finally got one, 2010 black with red interior. Funnily enough the red I have looks darker than photos, are there two shades of red leather in these cars?

Only mods planned so far is a factory window tint, perhaps carbon fibre inlays, backup camera and possibly a milltek non res.

Anybody running a milltek non res with an automatic?