Looking at something a bit different. but also quite similar..

Sam-K

Has a throbbing red german.
Reaction score
I'm going to be 20 next month, and am contemplating a new car within the new few months.. I'll have roughly 8k to spend..

Considering this is an S3 forum i know the view will be totally biased, but i was looking at a couple of cars :

A pre facelift - higher milage - S3

An EP Honda civic Type R

Audi A3 1.8TQ

Or anything else someone could suggest?

What i'd be wanting to know is , what the cars are like to live with everday .. running costs, how much fun they are AND i know nobody is going to be able to give me any info on the honda, but why did you get the audi over something else?

i have an a3 1.6 so am kinda familiar with them thus far..

..Advice appreciated! :icon_thumright:

you need to ask yourself what you want from your car, if your looking for something that is fun to drive and fast go for the honda, it will out perform the S3, you have to rag the nuts off of them but there quick and reliable, there not comfort all mod con cars there a performance hot hatch.

If you want comfort and class with good all rounder performance then the S3 is your car, its boring to drive imo (and i do own one) but as a complete package its great.

Other cars id recommend for your budget would be clio 182, you can get the sport model with cup pack, so climate control and leather with the upgraded suspension, dirt cheap to pick up and quick fun cars.

Alfa romeo 3.0 v6 gtv, beautiful car, fast, well spec'd but reliability could be an issue.

I'd love to say get the s3 mate but there is going to be a hefty insurance premium for a 20yo trust me i looked, hence the reason i kept mine longer than intended, If you want a new car i be tempted to say go for a golf Mk4 GTI as the 1.8tq is not going to be much different to yours (other than power and petrol)
And just me being biased i have never felt the love for jap cars, just feel plasticy compared and are so boring inside!

I think you could get a decent facelift S3 for around £8500, I may be selling mine soon so to speak.

The Type-R's are very fun cars, but you have to rag them to get anywhere, the engines loved to be thrashed all the way up to the 9k redline and the Vtec sound is amazing. They are very thirsty though, and attract the wrong crowd nowadays.

The S3 is a very capable cruiser, looks nice, has nice seats and is reasonably quick. That's all I'm saying.

If insurance was no issue id say buy yourself an E36 M3 evo, no way near the best M3 built but a lot of car for the money you can pick them up for now days.

You can find some good E46 328ci for that money and there the same insurance group as the S3, and just as well spec'd.

Skoda Fabia vRS!
Cheap to insure (in comparison to an S3)
Cheap to run
Remarkably fun to drive!

Sam-K,

I always thought you had a 1.8T? Ah well..

With 8K to spend you have a nice choice out there, really depends what you want from a car though? A CTR is great but you wont get a 50 BHP increase for 400GBP like you do with the S3.

I have a 1.8T A3 and Remapped it was quicker in a straight line than a CTR if that makes any difference to you?

Im only 18 and pay 1500 GBP Fully Comp for my A3 1.8T.

So you being 20 id say you'd get insured on an S3 for around what im paying if thats any good to you.

Personally id get the S3 which is what i'll be buying when im your age. But of the box the S3 is nothing special if you dont mind Modding it a bit then it's a great car!

S3 Gets my Vote !!

Jason

Cars i'd suggest are:

Diesel:

Fabia Vrs

Any other Vag 130/150 tdi

320td - the compact one.

Focus tdci sport with all the st170 bits and interior

Petrol

Lotus Elise

Ibiza Cupra

Leon Cupra

Bmw e46 323ci

Civic Type R

Octavia Vrs

Audi S3

Golf Anni GTI

Toyota Corrolla (whatever the fast one with supercharger is called)

Mk3 Mr2

Most of them wouldnt be too terrible on insurance, although i'd suggest you wait until you're 21 to get a faster petrol car - any of the diesels will only be up to about group 10 so should be fine

I have a 1.8T A3 and Remapped it was quicker in a straight line than a CTR

Id have to ask what situation you were in, i.e. all ready rolling, standing start? The quoted figures for a type r are 0-60 6.4 and 197bhp and 145 ib-ft torque, now standard a 1.8t has more torque which is where id understand the remapped A3 beating it if you were already moving.

Well it was on a Long stretch, Both from standing starts up to 140 wasnt alot in it but mine was definitly quicker in a straight line.

What are the tuning potentials of a CTR? Im guessing it gets rather costly due it being a N/A engine?

Jason

There arent really any tuning potentials, it just doesnt need it tho- they're brilliant out the box.

Handling wise yes i know they're great, but 197BHP wont be to every-ones taste. I saw a turbo'd Type R in Max-Power ages ago but i bet that cost thousands to do.

You can pick a good one up for 8k Though, Id still rather have an S3 though but that's just me!

Jason

Ah great thats for all the options! certainly got alot more to think about now!

Jason, How much have you spend on your a3 to make it as quick? how does it feel around corners? at pace obviously! and where on earth have you got this insurance from?! :O

Being young i'm not tooo bothered about practicality or ride harshness really.. So i think i'd like the best performance for my money? but if that's something practical also, bonus points..
Yet. A little bit apprehensive about diesels? i don't know why either!

another thing is, something like the aforementioned Clio, i'm 6'2" would that be a little cramped.?

Additionally. i want a car to last, will i only be able to afford high milers for my budget that only have one or two years left in their prime?

Sam My A3 handles really well i think compared to other cars ive driven.

I Have a Custom Remap with H&R ARB'S and a H&R Shock kit With a full miltek system.

Its running around the 200 Mark at the moment i believe so its not too bad really!

Im with Bell i live in Surrey and just got my mum as a named driver that dropped it alot. Its my Policy though. Ive got 0 NCB also.

If i could insure an S3 sensibly then thats what i would have now, Only reason ive kept the A3 and doing a Turbo Conversion on it.

My advice is the S3 looks great and has loads of potential you cant beat a turbo'd motor! :)

also an audi or vw with around 70-80k on the clock will have loads of life left on them my mate has an r32 with 142k on the clock and it still feels like new,my s3 has 74k and feels lovely,and drives great too.

wow, may just try that then because i have almost got 2years NCB..

And must say the S3 is very tempting.. because it's subtle, unless you know what you're looking for and you don't see many around.. hmm

mate i almost bought a v6clio and glad i never now i love the s3 i only pay £900 fully comp with 2yrs no claims im 21,with admiral

I have a 99 1.8TQ, bought it for £6500 with very low milage! Standard is 180bhp, I had it remapped and is now pushing 210bhp and 230 lb-ft of torque, not sure how fun it is compared to say a type-r which is made to be rev'd the hell out but I wouldnt discount it, If you can pick up a good price on one you should be able to remap it close to S3 specs although its all relative end of the day as the S3 could be mapped too.

Full tank of 99 octane costs around £60 but if you drive it hard you wont get much more than 250 miles out of her, driving normal I get about 350, motorway driving can get around 400-450, insurance is £750 for me with 2 years no claims but i'm 23 so probably dosent help you much!

I would say go test drive the cars you intrested and get the one that feels the best! I drove a 1.6 A3 the other day and it wasnt v impressive, had more fun in my old fiesta 1.25 ghia tbh. Any thing you get is gonna be a nice step up :)

A3_Turbo said:
What are the tuning potentials of a CTR? Im guessing it gets rather costly due it being a N/A engine?

Theres loads of stuff you can do with it that doesnt involve adding a turbo, tbh though Id save up another 2k and go for an import EP3, it will hold its value better, its faster, they look STUNNING in white (some people will disagree though) and come with a better spec.

Comes with 222/225 bhp as well depending on who you believe.

if you buy an S3 you WILL spend money on modifying it.

I had an Integra Type R for a year, and spent nothing on modding it as it didnt need anything.

A higher mileage S3 is going to make you want to buy suspension, remap etc....

plus S3's cost more to service

saying all that though, I think i prefer my S3 over my Integra, purely because I drove the Integra quite hard alot of the time, whereas you woft along in an S3 and dont need to. I like my creature comforts too.....

When i was looking for a replacement for my Subaru Impreaza Turbo i was concidering a Civic Type R and the S3. I saw a couple of S3's and had a quick spin and i thought they seemed pretty good in comparison to my Scooby (the build quality inside was sooo much nicer). I then found a Type R at a garage locally so i arranged to have a test drive. I took it for a good 20mile drive down a few country lanes and on the motorway and yes above 5000rpm it was pretty nifty but the interior is a bit naff and plasticky and i don't wanna drive everywhere reving the nuts off my car. In the end i opted for the S3 it cost a bit more than the Type R but i think its defo been worth it subtle yet still pokey enough to keep up with the big boys especially if you get it remapped.

just my ten pnece worth its all down to personal preference so drive as many different cars as you can and then you will know what you want.

S3s are cheap on servicing as far as I can see. Use the independants!!

I'd say your 20, if you want a hatch style car that's fun a clio 172 will be about £5k and gove you pleanty to spend on insuring it! Alos the fab vrs is good as is an ibiza cupra diesel / petrol.

my dads 6ft and he has no problem with driving a clio, my brother in-law 6ft 2 and drives a clio 2. Being a renault they depricate quickly which makes them a bit of a bargin for 7k you can get a 2004 182 with 16k on the clock, comes with half leather/suede interior, digital climate control, xenon headlights, 16 inc alloys, ew, em, cruise control, trip computer. cd player. I have 3 friends who have bought 172/182 from new and they have never had any problems with them, although i know of plenty of smaller engined clios that suffer faults.