Looking for a used S4

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently sold my BMW 335xd & looking for an S4 currently but not too sure on which suspension to go for.

My BMW had the adaptive suspension fitted which suited my needs very well as I was able to keep it in comfort mode for family trips and sport mode for when I wanted some fun.

Finding a used S4 (3.0 V6T petrol 354ps) with adaptive suspension is proving to be very difficult and the information given to me from main dealers is very conflicting. Edinburgh Audi tell me its a standard feature whereas other dealers refer to it as Magnaride.

I've now given up on finding an example with adaptive suspension and have started to consider the static suspension options. From the research I've done on this forum, I'm thinking the Sport suspension is the one to go for and the S Line suspension is the one to avoid.

I'm looking for good handling on UK roads without sacrificing too much comfort. I had a BMW 530d M Sport before my 335xd and really hated the suspension setup due to it being so harsh.

Is the Sport suspension a standard option on the S4?

Is there a more comfort oriented suspension option that owners could have selected when they bought from new?

It doesn't help that I'm not able to test drive any just now. Even if I could, my local dealer never has any in :(

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
My car (67 plate) had the adaptive suspension so I can tell you it’s definitely not standard as I had to spec it. It’s also not Magnaride like some other adaptive setups...

Those two points aside, I don’t think that you’ll have any issue with standard suspension to be honest. It’s not crashy or anything, and significantly softer than something like an M140i if you’ve ever been in one of those.

You could always stick in some aftermarket springs as in my experience they tend to be more compliant for cruising but better for the twisties too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and Keef
I have adaptive suspension on my S4 (2017) but I can’t compare as the test drive car I had for a day also had it.

The other thing to drive yourself made over trying to find is Sports Diff!

Reactions: NevMan and Daggerit
Thanks for confirming the adaptive suspension is definitely not a standard offering. The sales guy at Audi Edinburgh is adament it's a standard feature and even took a video of an S4 to show me and advised me an S4 they're getting in next week that I'm interested in will have the same setup. On the one he showed me, I could see 'Susp. Control' under Drive Select>Individual and he was able to change it to 'Comfort/Auto/Dynamic'. Will see what happens when the car arrives there. I want the suspension to be correct in the car that I buy to avoid me having to make un-necessary modifications to the springs or other suspension components.

Below is the link to the video the Audi Edinburgh guy sent me.

Is the Sport suspension the standard offering then and the 'S Line' suspension the horrible one? The main dealers can't tell the difference from the two! Is there a way of checking which suspension the car comes with before I buy it other than a test drive?

@Keef I've not found any at all with the Sports Diff fitted :(

Standard set up on the S4 is the S specific sport suspension, lowered by 23mm compared to the A4's Comfort Dynamic suspension, with stiffer suspension and damping for more direct contact with the road and sportier handling with the Adaptive set being an optional extra.

Comfort was offered as an option as an alternative to the sports suspension on the S Line trim variant.

If you are looking for one with the adaptive option this one has it

Last edited:
Standard set up on the S4 is the S specific sport suspension, lowered by 23mm compared to the A4's Comfort Dynamic suspension, with stiffer suspension and damping for more direct contact with the road and sportier handling with the Adaptive set being an optional extra.

Comfort was offered as an option as an alternative to the sports suspension on the S Line trim variant.

If you are looking for one with the adaptive option this one has it

That's the only one I can find but it doesn't include other options I'm after mainly the B&O sound system & virtual cockpit. Just thought there's some way to check which suspension the car comes with from Comfort/Sport/S Line/Adaptive.

Think I'm going to have to somehow test drive an S4 with the standard suspension it comes with and go from there.

That's the only one I can find but it doesn't include other options I'm after mainly the B&O sound system & virtual cockpit. Just thought there's some way to check which suspension the car comes with from Comfort/Sport/S Line/Adaptive.

Think I'm going to have to somehow test drive an S4 with the standard suspension it comes with and go from there.

Unless I’m mistaken, the only options are with/without adaptive suspension and you’re not able to get the comfort/sport/s line options. Honestly though, standard isn’t bad and the Eibach springs make the ride a little more compliant still, but also better in cornering.

Visually, you can tell is a car has adaptive by looking beer the bonnet and you’ll see cables attached to the top of the shocks in the engine bay.

Not all dealers inc the audi ones always list all a cars extras or call them by the same thing especially the less visible ones so may be worth making a couple of calls.

This one for example looks to tick most of your boxes inc a sports diff but says sports suspension with damping controls

Reactions: Daggerit
Not all dealers inc the audi ones always list all a cars extras or call them by the same thing especially the less visible ones so may be worth making a couple of calls.

This one for example looks to tick most of your boxes inc a sports diff but says sports suspension with damping controls

I’d go for that one then. You can see on top of the strut towers there’s a kind of cap and looks like wires coming out of it, so this one has the adaptive system (unless they aren’t actually wired and I’m not seeing it right). You could again ask the dealer if the suspension settings are available in the drive select menu to be sure.

I feel your pain opp, it’s taken me 6 months to find a car with adaptive suspension as well as sports diff (unicorn). Due to pick up mine by the weekend :s4addict: That said It doesn’t have b&o or a pan roof which I was dead set on, but I wanted the comfort and best ability from a car over items which could be upgraded (well the audio at least). Standard setup 10 speakers and a sub, I can’t imagine it sounding terrible.

As above, If you youre looking at the saloon I would certainly review the s5/sport back. Just as big, big boot and IMHO prettier. There are also many more available so the chances of a better spec are possible!
I wanted an avant so this wasn’t an option for me.
Good luck

@Frizzley I've seen the one in the link already but it's out of my budget :( I'm looking at spending £26k max for a 2017 reg car and £28k max for a 2018 plate car.

@Daggerit Currently, I've just been asking each trader or dealer to check the Individual settings for the 'Suspension Control' option. In regards to what you said about the suspension options, that greatly simplifies it for me! I just need to somehow test drive one. Unfortunately my local dealer (Preston) is hopeless and they never get any S4's in stock.

@Kapil B I know right! They're very difficult to find for the right money and spec. I've been looking at the S5 too. I'm also considering the C43 AMG saloon at the moment as the adaptive suspension is a lot more common on those. I more prefer the interior of the S4/S5.

@Frizzley I've seen the one in the link already but it's out of my budget :( I'm looking at spending £26k max for a 2017 reg car and £28k max for a 2018 plate car.

@Daggerit Currently, I've just been asking each trader or dealer to check the Individual settings for the 'Suspension Control' option. In regards to what you said about the suspension options, that greatly simplifies it for me! I just need to somehow test drive one. Unfortunately my local dealer (Preston) is hopeless and they never get any S4's in stock.

@Kapil B I know right! They're very difficult to find for the right money and spec. I've been looking at the S5 too. I'm also considering the C43 AMG saloon at the moment as the adaptive suspension is a lot more common on those. I more prefer the interior of the S4/S5.

Without a doubt you will be paying a premium, so dont expect a deal! (in avant form) I cant comment on on the Saloon.

Reactions: NevMan and wutang200
I finally managed to get a test drive in an Audi S4 with the standard suspension on 19's today at an Audi dealership. The ride felt very similar to my 5 series M Sport with the S4 edging it out slightly. However, it's noticeably firm compared to the M Sport adaptive suspension I had on my 335xd (in Comfort mode). Me and the wife were able to feel everything in the cabin on semi poor roads I drove the car on and the ride felt 'bouncy' mainly due to the quick rebound of the suspension. I'm not sure if this is because of the springs or the dampers (or both).

I'll definitely need to go for either the S4/S5 with the adaptive suspension fitted! Still can't believe how rare this option is.

In regards to the power delivery, this felt quite smooth but less torquey than my 335xd which is understandable as the BMW was a twin turbo whereas I think this is single turbo.

Last edited:
I originally had a S5 without adaptive suspension and sports diff before I picked up another S5 late last year (had a S3 in between the two).

You can drive yourself crazy trying to find a car that’s got the perfect spec, I was looking for months before one came up and the high spec’d ones sell quickly and you have little to no room for price negotiation as there’s so many interested parties. My new S5 is loaded with every option available bar maybe tow bar. So this time around I’ve got adaptive suspension and the sports diff.

From my experience driving I’d say sports diff is much more important than adaptive suspension, makes the car feel much more agile for something that is big and reasonably heavy. Adaptive suspension is good but I wouldn’t say it makes a huge difference, so don’t be surprised if you don’t notice a massive change even in comfort, although I know everyone’s different.

May just be worth saying I bought my car without knowing I even had adaptive suspension spec’d. I only found it when playing with the Audi drive select on the way home so it’s true sometimes Audi do miss things on the spec.

Best features for me are:
Virtual Cockpit (it’s a must)
B&O
HUD (Love this feature)
Sports Diff
Matrix Headlights
Extended Interior Lighting

Anything else is a bonus I’d say, I was really excited about pan roof but it sometimes rattles (Audi couldn’t find an issue) and is the only thing that bugs me about the car. Hopefully get it fixed eventually!

Reactions: NevMan and KapB
Op, I also looked at the bmw 540i x drive touring. Again well priced, well specced and I have personally driven one often with adaptive (my brothers), the ride is amazing even on 19”s and run flats.

I decided on the Audi as I prefer the VAG product, size and I also didn’t want a similar car to my brother.

Thanks for your feedback all. It's definitely cleared up a lot of questions in my head. I've been looking at the KW Street Comfort coilovers as I've heard great things about them but I'd be spending another £2k or so on top of the price of the car so makes more sense to find a car with adaptive and spend the £2k extra on that which might work out cheaper. With the coilovers option, I'd also need to declare it to my insurance which will most likely increase the premium on top of the £2k purchase and install.

I really like the sound of the Sports Diff but the ride comfort is the most important to me hence wanting one with the adaptive suspension. I'd be doing 90% normal driving (with the family & kids) with 10% spirited driving. If I was single, the standard suspension really wouldn't have bothered me as much but as you know family comes first.

Reactions: Bells
Thanks for your feedback all. It's definitely cleared up a lot of questions in my head. I've been looking at the KW Street Comfort coilovers as I've heard great things about them but I'd be spending another £2k or so on top of the price of the car so makes more sense to find a car with adaptive and spend the £2k extra on that which might work out cheaper. With the coilovers option, I'd also need to declare it to my insurance which will most likely increase the premium on top of the £2k purchase and install.

I really like the sound of the Sports Diff but the ride comfort is the most important to me hence wanting one with the adaptive suspension. I'd be doing 90% normal driving (with the family & kids) with 10% spirited driving. If I was single, the standard suspension really wouldn't have bothered me as much but as you know family comes first.
I have a 2017 S4 (Petrol V6T) with adaptive cruise and adaptive suspension. Car has been ceramic coated, bodywork has not a mark on it and millage is at only 6500 miles. I am considering selling.

Reactions: NevMan and wutang200
@EvoSim Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to afford it as it would be a private sale. I'm looking to do it via PCP finance. Sounds lovely though especially if it's in the Navarra Blue. That seems to be the best colour of them all in my opinion (the Misano Red being the worst).

@EvoSim Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to afford it as it would be a private sale. I'm looking to do it via PCP finance. Sounds lovely though especially if it's in the Navarra Blue. That seems to be the best colour of them all in my opinion (the Misano Red being the worst).

There are plenty PCP options out there to use against private purchase like Capital, but some banks offer it too:

Wow I didn't know this company existed until now! I've been finding PCP providers for a while now and the cheapest I've found has been Halifax. I'll drop you a PM.

@NevMan Sorry this is a silly question but how do I PM you?

If you just Click on my name banner, but I can’t add anything on this, other than the fact other members on here have pointed these type of options out before. Worth getting some quotes and seeing if any of them work for you. You are then free to go out and make a purchase not having to be constrained by main dealers who often charge more

Hi.
If you ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Reactions: EvoSim