Looking for advice on next Audi, S4 or S5 ?

jetty

Reaction score
Right then chaps - I don't know what to do!

I currently have an A4 B8 Sline with the 3.2 V6 lump - nice car, plenty of power and sounds fantastic. Need a change - 7 years old and 75k on the clock it's getting on.

I've looked at pretty much every vehicle Audi do (love the A7 sportback) - but have narrowed it down to an S4 Avant (not keen on the saloon) or an S5 3.0 which has a nice rear compared to the S4 Saloon.

My questions are:
Should I go for the B8 or B8.5 S4 ?
Or the S5 - I'm guessing the 3L S5 has the same engine as the S4, so could go stage 2, pulley etc and leave those RS4's in my rear view mirror ? :welcoming:

Any other models I should consider (would go for the 4.2 V8 S5 but road tax is over £500!) ?

Cheers.

S4 Avant would be great choice aif ya need the extra room/or just prefer them.

Reactions: Chop.
Due to the room size i will go for s4 ... S5 looks much better but for practicality s4 is on top :)

Engine is identical between the S4 and S5 3.0 V6 so choice really is down to personal preference on the body style. I very rarely have people in the backseat and love the look of the A/S5 so went with the Coupe. Typically have always preferred the look of two door cars rather than 4, and don't tend to need the practicality of the extra doors.

The S4 vs S5 Sportback is an interesting one though...I think i marginally prefer the S5 SB since due to the hatchback boot, which makes its slightly more useful, but theres not much in it. If you like the A7 then its pretty close to that, but has a better rear end to the A7 IMO...

Of course if you are looking at new you can still get an S5, but not S4. Picked mine up only 2 months ago :)

Reactions: RS5 JON
I've just gone S5 SB.
Had a B6 S4 then a S3 Soortback, so the S4 saloon just looked similar to what I'd had previous.
I didn't want an avant, hugely practical, but not an estate car looks type of person.
The S5 SB seemed a great compromise between both saloon and avant, but, it only has 4 seats, so if you need 5 people on board, you should discount it.

Jetty it"ll boil down to what you like the look of, living and using it, and whether you can tune it. From what you say I'm assuming your Sline is an Avant now, and it sounds like you've made your mind up on an S model. Here are a couple of things worth considering for both the S4 and S5. B8.5s are a better bet with the Stronic and the CREC cpu is yet to be cracked. There are engine variations in the 8.5s that are tunable before these, but getting the one you want, ie colour/options? They are getting difficult to find here, I recon it would be getting the same in the UK. I like the S5, I think they are really sexy but my prize goes to the Avant. Apart from practicality I've always thought the Avant shape by audi as really cool. They've got it just right.

Reactions: Chop.