Looking for advice planning to buy 2017-2018 S3

jimmixgs

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm new to this community, but I've been quite pleased reading quite a lot of posts and I think I'll love to be a part of audi-sport.net
I'm currently 23, sitting on a 2008 Audi A4 S-line 2.0 TDI that I love (it was my father's car since then), it's unbelievable how well this 230.000km car aged, still loving it's design, still loving how smooth everything is, and still loving how the interior holds up (even though wear and tear already shows off in some places like the steering wheel pleather and the stick). What I don't love about it is the 143hp diesel engine :D I've been a car enthusiast since I was really really young, and after 5 years driving this car, and with some money in my pocket, I feel in need of a change. What I'm not used to though, and have no idea on, is buying 2nd hand cars, and even less, 2nd hand performance oriented cars. I guess an S3 with 300hp will be more abused than an equivalent A3 TDI.
So, is there any special thing I'd need to be looking for in a used 2017 or 2018 S3 (sportback)? Do you consider it a reliable car? Would you go for less extras, but less mileage (around 40.000km) or for more extras and more mileage? (Less than 100.000km if possible)

My must haves are:
- Automatic gearbox
- Audi Magnetic Ride
- Audi Virtual Cockpit (The digital one) & cruise control
- Black edition exterior with nice color + rims
- B&O Sound system
But if I could have some extras it would be awesome like:
- The 7 speed gearbox
- Leather improved seats with red accents
- Sunroof
- Everything else it could have XD
I'd be really happy to hear what you think about it what mileage should I be looking after, or if you'd go for different equipment options; any piece of advise will be welcome :D Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:
Btw my plans for the car are to Res Delete it and bring it down 15-20mm, hope I can get my magnetic ride recalibrated in Spain! Maybe give it a phase 1 ECU at most.

The facelift (2017) will come with the 7 speed automatic gearbox as standard (if looking at automatics).

Unless you're determined on the sportback, a S3 Saloon Black edition would come with mag ride as standard, black exterior trim, B&O and cruise control. Most come specced with a virtual cockpit so not hard to find one with those specs. So only difficulty would be the panaromic roof. Food for thought anyway.

Can't speak on low mileages Vs higher mileage, budget and how much you want to spend can only be determined by you. Only thing to keep an eye out for on servicing is whether the following has been done:

- Leaky thermostat/coolant has been replaced (very common fault on 2017+ S3(
- Haldex pump has been serviced (filter cleaned, new oil and gauze)

Great car to be getting BTW! I got my S3 when I was 20 and currently in an S5 now :D

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Hi
Your in luck I have a beautiful Ara blue car for sale
selling my Audi S3 Ara Blue 8v 2017 Full Audi service history super sport seats and virtual dash and many many options plus purchased a service pack with this car and put 4 x Michelin pilot sport tyres also this car os over £40k
mobile no is 07891481862

Hi everyone!
I'm new to this community, but I've been quite pleased reading quite a lot of posts and I think I'll love to be a part of audi-sport.net
I'm currently 23, sitting on a 2008 Audi A4 S-line 2.0 TDI that I love (it was my father's car since then), it's unbelievable how well this 230.000km car aged, still loving it's design, still loving how smooth everything is, and still loving how the interior holds up (even though wear and tear already shows off in some places like the steering wheel pleather and the stick). What I don't love about it is the 143hp diesel engine :D I've been a car enthusiast since I was really really young, and after 5 years driving this car, and with some money in my pocket, I feel in need of a change. What I'm not used to though, and have no idea on, is buying 2nd hand cars, and even less, 2nd hand performance oriented cars. I guess an S3 with 300hp will be more abused than an equivalent A3 TDI.
So, is there any special thing I'd need to be looking for in a used 2017 or 2018 S3 (sportback)? Do you consider it a reliable car? Would you go for less extras, but less mileage (around 40.000km) or for more extras and more mileage? (Less than 100.000km if possible)

My must haves are:
- Automatic gearbox
- Audi Magnetic Ride
- Audi Virtual Cockpit (The digital one) & cruise control
- Black edition exterior with nice color + rims
- B&O Sound system
But if I could have some extras it would be awesome like:
- The 7 speed gearbox
- Leather improved seats with red accents
- Sunroof
- Everything else it could have XD
I'd be really happy to hear what you think about it what mileage should I be looking after, or if you'd go for different equipment options; any piece of advise will be welcome :D Thank you so much in advance!
selling my Audi S3 Ara Blue 8v 2017 Full Audi service history super sport seats and virtual dash and many many options plus purchased a service pack with this car and put 4 x Michilin pilot sport tyres also this car os over £40k

The facelift (2017) will come with the 7 speed automatic gearbox as standard (if looking at automatics).

Unless you're determined on the sportback, a S3 Saloon Black edition would come with mag ride as standard, black exterior trim, B&O and cruise control. Most come specced with a virtual cockpit so not hard to find one with those specs. So only difficulty would be the panaromic roof. Food for thought anyway.

Can't speak on low mileages Vs higher mileage, budget and how much you want to spend can only be determined by you. Only thing to keep an eye out for on servicing is whether the following has been done:

- Leaky thermostat/coolant has been replaced (very common fault on 2017+ S3(
- Haldex pump has been serviced (filter cleaned, new oil and gauze)

Great car to be getting BTW! I got my S3 when I was 20 and currently in an S5 now :D

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
Awesome! Thank you so much for your answers. I didn't notice the fact that all 2017 models had the 7 speed if automatic! That's good then, I noticed that saloon models are usually cheaper and more equipped, I guess it's because they came default with some of it, super handy to know. I don't know why I like the sportback better though... I guess it's also a bit more practical since with the back seats fold down there would be more usable space. Gotta get some more thought into it.

I found some units around 33.000€ with decent equipment but almost 100.000km, do you think it's too much and I should go for a less equipped 50.000km one or just try to get a bit more money?

Thank you so much! When I get older I might get into the bigger models, your S5 surely is awesome! I now want the small agile car first :D

selling my Audi S3 Ara Blue 8v 2017 Full Audi service history super sport seats and virtual dash and many many options plus purchased a service pack with this car and put 4 x Michilin pilot sport tyres also this car os over £40k
I don't have over 40K to spend sorry ;D

no the car is not £40K selling the £40k is new price I am selling this car for £24k
Oh okay, I cannot whatsapp your mobile phone, how can I contact you on another way? I'm from Spain though. Can you email me the details and pictures of the car to jimmixgsotros@gmail.com? Be precise and extense please.

Last edited:
There was a recent thread on things to look out for:

There was a recent thread on things to look out for:

Nice thread, didn't see that before, thank you!

S3 Saloons are more expensive full stop used as they were approximately £1900 more expensive list drive better look better

Reactions: Mylee and rashu786
Looks like I'll finally be getting a 22.500km black edition fully equipped (only missing leather seats) Vegas Yellow one :D

It's almost brand new, from an Audi dealership (owned by one of the employees), and it's priced pretty decently, it being only 22.500km of use it's a hard offer to reject.

On top of that on the "extras" list there was a 4000€ "sport exhaust" that I didn't know what it meant (since there was no sport exhaust option available for the S3 from what I knew). Turns out it was a special unit made for the 20th anniversary of the Audi S3, there the yellow color, and it has a Titanium exhaust designed by Audi Sport and homologated only for this car, fully working also with the valve dynamic system!

Tomorrow I'm going to test it at the dealership.