Looking into an S4 - some advice please?

Dave-S3

Reaction score
Im possibly looking into getting an S4 to replace my current S3 S-Tronic.

Theres one not too far from where I live for sale privately on a 2009 plate, manual, 1 keeper from new that looks from the advert in mint condition. My only concern is that its done almost 80k miles. Im not seeing it as a major issue since its a 3.0 engine that appears to be well looked after, however my car is the same year and hasn't even done half of that (34k currently)

However if I where to get it and I knocked him down after selling my car to a local dealer who trades in hot hatch's I could end up £1500 better off.

Any advice, the car is up for £15750...

Just brainstorming...

Have you driven it?

What history does it have?

Are you prepared for £500 annual car tax?

Will you have regrets about going to a manual from an S-Tronic?

High mileage doesn't necessarily mean its a bad buy, there's just a higher risk of repair work being required.

Full history 1 owner from new it's the £285 tax I have checked, not sure about auto to manual I swear by stronic now... I might wait til an stronic comes up ideally an avant too! What are common problems or faults with the S4 and the 3.0 engine?

Pretty sure the manuals just went over into the higher tax bracket.

Probs - thermostat (should've been done), mechatronics in S Tronic (probably done, given mileage), peeling paint on the rear of the front arches (facelift cars have a bit of plastic to cover the area, despite this Audi are not covering warranty claims), leaky rear light seals (mainly on saloons I think. Killed amps, so no sound), fuel flap solenoid failure, front control arms (most replaced in warranty period), door handles for keyless entry are known to be pants across the Audi range.

Having said all that, they're amazing cars. You won't get anywhere near the 30ish mpg advertised, but that's really not the point. Stronic is a must imo, and I got an avant - mainly because I think it's a better looking car than the saloon and you can have a power tailgate!

Oh and IMHO I'd wait for an S-Tronic. I think it suits the engine in the S4 perfectly.

Reactions: benjie
I'll wait for a reasonably priced stronic then, that manual was definatly £285 I checked on the dvla to see when the tax and mot was! :)

S tronic is great. Wouldn't want a manual s4. Actually I never want a manual car again.

I managed 32mpg once, but was just a really gentle drive, really gentle.

S tronic is great. Wouldn't want a manual s4. Actually I never want a manual car again.

I managed 32mpg once, but was just a really gentle drive, really gentle.

hit 33mpg average last week in my stronic S4 Avant. With a car loaded to the brim with cases and the like and a constant 77 (cough) on the motorway for an hour. So they easily do it on a long run.

Benjie, not deliberately carrying out a posting-crashing, but "front control arms (most replaced in warranty period)" are the new parts upgraded and is it just the rubber bushes that fail?

Sorry, I'm not sure. I just remembered reading it when I was researching the car whilst trying to decide what to buy!

That's okay, as that comment, for me, came out of the blue, I thought that I might have missed this issue being discussed. Also, if I'm being honest, I thought that one side of my car might be very very slightly prone to making a very very slight noise when the load changes - so I really did jump on your comment when I saw it!

Im gonna hold out for a nice stronic example with lower miles for under £20k, will be next year now i think :) Ideally like an avant, have to see how big the dog gets lol...

Reactions: razza1
you wont be able to wait, I couldn't!

Humm, yes nowadays I either leave "car changing" well alone and only "start looking" when I'm serious and meaning to take it all the way as quite often you see nothing that "fits the bill", then when one appears you tend to dive in. Well that was what happened when I was looking for my B5 S4, found lots, printed out all relevant ads for future reference, then moved in for the kill - nothing "fitted the bill", but then out of the blue one turned up fairly locally and it ticked all my (realistic/practical) boxes, so grabbed it - though it only look blue when the sun is shining!

It's okay. Mine had new arms under warranty and when you put it in reverse and start moving it makes a little noise. I'm not overly bothered though.
Benjie
What sort of noise was it making?

Humm, yes nowadays I either leave "car changing" well alone and only "start looking" when I'm serious and meaning to take it all the way as quite often you see nothing that "fits the bill", then when one appears you tend to dive in. Well that was what happened when I was looking for my B5 S4, found lots, printed out all relevant ads for future reference, then moved in for the kill - nothing "fitted the bill", but then out of the blue one turned up fairly locally and it ticked all my (realistic/practical) boxes, so grabbed it - though it only looks blue when the sun is shining!

My mistake, I should have written B8 S4!

You know when you're in bed in the middle of the night and you hear a wooden floorboard make a 'crack' sound as it contracts? Like that, but quieter (and it doesn't make you think you have an intruder/ghost/zombie/alien outside your room).
Hmmm
When I reverse off the drive at an angle I get a slight creaking sound in offside rear... Was going to get it checked out whilst still under warranty.

Also get a klonking sometimes when I reverse (from the front), but doesn't do it when I go forward... And doesn't always do it when I reverse. Everything is tight with no play in suspension area (my father in in checked it as he is a mechanic)..told me to take to audi to check!

sorry for hijacking the thread, we're basically on the same boat :D so I thought I would ask it here rather than a new thread :D

I was considering S4 as well, after my A3 V6's gone, now can't go back to any smaller engine, I mean over the last week or so that I've been given a 1.8 courtesy car, it's been an absolute nightmare to drive this ****** car!!! You just hear the engine and acceleration and car's revving up but doesn't actually moves...

So my decision has been narrowed to either S4 TFSI or S5 TFSI as they're both sexy and pretty fast, also tunable!

They're both within the same price category, well the S5 is 2 grand more but nothing to be concerned about!!! Of course S5 looks nicer but is there any real difference between the two apart from being one coupe and the other saloon, I mean tech-wise/spec-wise?

Also anybody has any experience with CarLoan4U or similar loan companies for cars... they've offered me 20 grand for 5 years, total payable within 5 years would be 27 grand, it this more than car dealers or is it actually a good deal?

Who are you currently with guys (if you don't mind) and what sort of APR you're paying?

Cheers

Equally good cars, I almost went for the s5 sportback. The main reason I changed to the s4 was needling 4 doors and my 911 wasn't a practical baby car (baby due dec). I initially wanted the s5 but I was having problem finding the right spec, but then an s4 came along so I bought it.
I have since read reports that they reckon the s4 handles better than the s5 (not my opinion).
Either or really... I do think the s5 looks better in coupe format and the sportback only looks nice in certain colour combos (my opinion)....

But very happy with my s4... Stealthier!

I paid cash for mine.

Reactions: Fanboy
First Direct are doing 7-25k loans at 4% APR if you bank with them. 20k over 5 years works out total repayable is £22,082.00.

Reactions: voorhees and Fanboy