Looking to buy a a1

Digby220

Reaction score
Hello i am new here and have always been a jap car guy . But my good lady has decided she wats a audi a1 next so i just have a couple of questions befor we head to the dealers.
We will be buying second hand around 13/14 plate 5 door we have narrowed it down to the 2.0 tdi or the 1.4 tfsi 122 or 140 ps . It will do around 10k a year mainly b roads with occasional long runs.
Are there any major faults to look for on these engines
What are the realistic mpg figures
And dose anyone have any pros/cons for either engines
Thanks in advance

I have the 122 1.4TFSi for 3 years and it has been faultless! On a run I get about 45mpg and 35 around town. It doesn't use a drop of oil from one oil change to the next. A TMC tuning box really brings it to life. I'd recommend one to anyone.

We've a petrol 185bhp 3-door Black Edition and get similar (if not better...) mpg to Booboo. Early 185bhp engines did have high oil use issues and many if not all have been rectified and some with brand new engines, as mine.

The 185bhp A1 with 7-speed DSG is amazing - and I'm comparing that with our own TT and RS3; can't recommend it too highly: excellent seats, superb brakes, light steering, and so chuckable when the entertainment comes knocking.

Wash day 2

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I quite fancy the 185ps but the missus wont go for a auto. We have found a 2014 sline with the 140ps engine it has the cylinder on demand system dose anyone know if there are any problems with this system ?
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I quite fancy the 185ps but the missus wont go for a auto. We have found a 2014 sline with the 140ps engine it has the cylinder on demand system dose anyone know if there are any problems with this system ?
Thanks

But you can drive the DSG manually, you do know that, right! Either with the steering wheel paddles or sequential with the gear stick. I've three DSG Audi and would not go back to a manual, period. Just sayin'...

Thanks
I have the cylinder on demand system on my A3 and I've had the car for around 20 months (a little over 10k miles now) and there's been no issues. It shuts off a cylinder when you're cruising (i.e. on the motorway) at a constant speed to preserve fuel economy. I managed to drive from Cardiff to Stansted and back a few weeks ago (roughly 400 mile round trip) and still 170 miles left in the tank! It was ridiculous.