Looking to get a 3.0 TDi

CarbonMike

Reaction score
Right so, after putting nearly 70k miles onto my B7 2.0 TDi over the last 3 years Im considering chopping it in for a B8 3.0 TDi Avant.

They worth there salt or are they just mostly a money pit of problems? The running cost, insurance blah blah not bothered about. I just dont have the time for daft faults or short service intervals!

They are great engines, you are less likely to have a problem with a 3.0 TDI than a 2.0 TDI. The only common issue on the engine is intake flap problems. And these are resolved 95% of the time by just replacing the actuator rods which are less than £30 for a pair and take 15 minutes to fit.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Audi-...053711?hash=item4d3ffd684f:g:xt0AAOSwWTRWzDYS
Very strong performance with a remap 300 bhp and 700Nm is no problem. Oil changes a bit more expensive on the 3.0 as it uses 7.5L of oil for a change.

Love mine to bits no snags thus far touch wood bar the fuel cap but that seems to be a common fault across the range

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some times the lock motor goes us ie won't lock when car lock or stays locked. I added parts numbers on here only costs £40 all in and 30 min, far cheaper than audi lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

55E3165F-67A3-44FA-899B-27B31D9CB2F6_zpswtaizsbz.jpg

Just picked up this tonight, 10 10 SLine Executive, pan roof B&O full leather, 93k, 1 Dr owner and full Audi history, 3.0 manual. Gave £9650 for it

Reactions: Glarhzilla and gary_a4_quattro
Not bad. Altho im looking for a manual one with 60k or less which arent the easiest to find.

Failing that a Mercedes C250 AMG Sport Coupe lol

Whats the deal with fuel cap?
As above the locking solenoid on the fuel cap plays up. On my car it was faulty when I bought it. You could see a fault code on VCDS for it.
A lot of people probably have faulty locking fuel caps but never know it as it's always open when the car is open. So when you come to fill it at a petrol station it will be open. On my car it didn't lock so was open even when the car was locked.
Parts are around £35-£40 and takes 15-20 minutes to change so not a big thing and seems to affect both A4's and A5's .

Recently bought an avant 3.0tdi manual s line and I am currently hooning around the highlands in it. Phenomenal car, can't think of a better car for me right now. Needs a brake upgrade though as I have had serious fade issues, but I really am blasting it around the mountains! I have worn tyres and have only felt it let slip once on a very greasy Applecross hairpin. I am an avid BMW fan, but this car is changing my opinion massively. This handles like it is on rails. I would recommend this car to anybody and I will be keeping mine for a long time!

It's a peach of an engine. Mine has just clicked over 98K miles and doesn't seem to use any oil at all in the two years between services. Plus it doesn't sound like a diesel. I've had the fuel lock solenoid issue which I fixed myself. I did have to replace the water pump, but I've this is not a common fault. Hopefully, I won't curse myself in saying I've still got the original clutch, DMF, exhaust and the DPF is still very healthy.

I only realised the water pump was going when my engine started sounding like an old style diesel. It happened slowly as the pumps bearings got worse over a month or so.

@Stonefish - how does the gradual pump bearing wear present itself ? You mentioned 'old school' diesel sound , is that clatter from the pump bearing failing, contact of the impeller inside the engine block ? Is this allied with water leak via the impeller shaft too ??
Thanks !

Not sure exactly, but was told the bearings went. I expect the noise could have been the impeller hitting something (I did record the sound, but can't find the mp3 file at the moment). No water leak thankfully.

Apologies to CarbonMike for hijacking his thread.