Looking to get a B8 Avant

way318

Reaction score
Hi, been recently looking at getting a B8 Avant, the one I'm looking at is a 2011 A4 Avant 2.0d S Line Black pack edition auto with 43k on the clock. What thinks should I look out for when going to view it as never had a B8 before.

Any advise is appreciated

Thanks

I'm sure someone must have a few points on what to look out for, as going to look at one tomorrow and would ideally like to go and with some background knowledge of known problems ?

My main concern is the gearbox with it being an Auto, as I've heard they can be temperamental. How true is this?

Thanks

I have had a B8 tdi auto and B8.5 tdi auto and never had an issue with the box.

The only thing that has gone wrong is front wheel bearings at 60,000 miles.

The B8.5 auto box is better at reversing up a hill than the B8, but dont rush it when going from forward to reverse as it makes it jerk.

Cheers Zafi, that's puts me at ease as going to look at one tomorrow. Do you know if there is a service interval on the gearbox?

yup. oil and filter at 38000 for both stronic and multi tronic. i know that there have been some recalls on the vw dsg boxes for software updates, so id phone a dealer. brake fluid change after 3 years then after every 2.

Cheers, the car I'm going to look at is a 2011 and around the 40k mark so should expect it to have had an gearbox oil & filter change and a brake fluid change so will check the service history for that. I'll take note of the Audi dealer who did the last service and give them a ring to see if it needs a software update. Cheers

The 2.0 Tdi has multitronic, not DSG.
Its variable ratio, if you drive it gently it seemlessly gains speed without the engine revs changing much at all. If you boot it the engine revs higher, in sport it revs high then changes like a normal 8 speed auto and the paddles are handy for downchanges to kill/control speed without the brakes.

One thing you will take some getting used to on the B8 is the cruise control applies the brakes when the speed is higher than set speed, a useful licence saver but makes you look like a plonker sometimes......

Cheers Zafi, going to look at one this afternoon, so fingers crossed it's a good one. By the sounds of it it is, as its 1 owner, FASH, ave mileage for year, etc

Good luck and negotiate hard. Just as he is ready to shake, tell him you want the next service, mats and flaps throwing in the deal. They will initially say no, but let them stew for a bit and they will give in ;)

Went to look at the B8 Avant today and I must say I did like it a lot. Body work is in great condition but did have 2 small stone chips on the bonnet. No evidence of any accident damage (no over spray on seals, under the wheel arches, under the bonnet etc). I thought the colour let it down a little bit, it was metallic grey (sorry to those who have metallic grey cars, don't mean to offend anyone). Inside was immaculate aslo, you could tell it had been well looked after by the previous owner. I got the dealer to get the service history out and went through it to check on the gearbox service and brake fluid. The brake fluid had been done on the last service (which as only a 1000 miles ago) but the gearbox oil & filter had a tick in the no box, so I'm guessing its not been done. The dealer said he would do it for me but I think it would play on my mind as they could just say its done but not actually do it. I'm guessing it wouldn't be easy for me to check either without actually watch them do it or paying to get another garage to do it again. Didn't get chance to drive it, as it was blocked in by other cars but did start it up and listened for any strange noises etc. It did have 19" Blades fitted and did notice the the lacquer on the polished tips was starting to go a milky white colour, is this normal for those wheels to do that?

I copied down the details of the Audi dealer who did the last 2 services, so plan to ring them tomorrow to see if I can get any more history on the car.

BUT, while we were there we spotted a very nice A5 Coupe in red, 20" Blades, 60 plate, 2.0l TDI Quattro, full leather, 50k miles. This was also in great condition, but did have a few more chips in the paint around the wheel arches and a couple on the bonnet and a few scuff on the wheels & tyre. This is a little be more expensive so now totally confused as what to get?????

You are not going to find a car with 50K miles plus on it that hasn't got some stone chips on it, unless it's had the paintwork touched up. or been in an accident. If the paint was perfect I would suspect it's been sprayed.
The diamond cut finish of the polished parts of the alloys quite easily gets marked when water gets under the lacquer surface. The only way to sort it properly is to get the wheels diamomd cut and re lacquered. Not a cheap process.
Before going for a car with 20 inch wheels you really need to drive it and also have a look how much new tyres are, Quality makes not chinese ditch finders.
If a dealer says they will change the gearbox oil then you need to assume they will. If you have so much dis-trust in them them don't buy the car from there.

Cheers and I do agree about the stone chips. You could tell the dealer hadn't tried to touch things up, which to me means they are not trying to hide anything. As for the wheels how much does it cost to get them diamond cut and re lacquered, I would of guessed around £300 to £400. I could ask the dealer to get it done as part of the deal.

I plan to call in again this week to test drive them both, thats hoping they have not been sold. The dealer said I could secure one for a week with a refundable deposit, but not sure which one to do it on.

As for the tyres i've been looking tonight and they are about £200 each for a Dunlop / michelin and Pirellis so not that bad tbh.

I don't dis-trust them, as they have got a good rep would just have to get a receipt/guarantee of for the work.

Rang up the Audi dealer who had done the last service on it and information matches. It had a major service in June 2014 which included the gearbox service, which is good news. Also no outstanding recalls or software required. Also had brake fluid was done last October when it was in for its mot. I think it's just the colour that's putting me off.

My 19" rotor blade rims are going the same. Where I've lightly scratched them water has got between the lacquer and metal causing the white worm. I will get them refurbed when they get bad but only have the diamond cut bits painted bright silver. P.s grey is the best colour IMHO

I do quite like the grey also, it's the wife who thinks it would look better in either white or red. The dealer has got a Red A5 coupe in the showroom which she is pushing me to get. I'm not sure which colour/shade of grey the one I'm looking at is, is there a way to tell from just the reg No as I don't have the Vin.

Think it's Quartz Grey Metallic the one I'm looking at, as done a quick check on Google for 2011 Audi colours.

I had my 19" alloys powder coated (twin blade 7 spoke) last year and that was 320 quid so I'd guess it would be well over £500 for the diamond cut, polish and lacquer...

Finally got change to drive both the A4 Avant & A5 Coupe Quattro.

- The A4 Avant was really smooth, gear changes were seamless, steering felt smooth and precise, no knocks or bangs from the suspension, the only issue I did query was the drivers window as when going over a bumpy road I could hear a noise for the glass as if it was moving up & down and wasn't under any pressure from the regulator to keep it shut, its quite hard to explain. I did open the window and closed it again as I thought it hadn't been closed properly. Is there a common issue with A4 B8 Window regulators?

- The A5 was a manual Quattro and was very different to drive, very fast, I did feel some vibration through the gear lever and the whole car but couldn't get a smooth stretch of road to see if that was just the lower profile tyres (20" Blades and 30 profile tyres) and stiffer suspension causing it. I also kept catching my foot on the foot rest when pressing the clutch to change gear.

Part ex price was a bit lower I really wanted, said I'd think about it for a few days as still can't make my mind up.

Decided to give the A5 a miss even thought it's was a nice car, which means I finally went for the A4 Avant (better maintained, lower mileage, 1 owner from new, FASH etc) will post pics once I've got it.

Nice colour, did you get them to do the alloys in the end?
When is the handover day? :kissmyrings:

No didn't get them to do alloys as negotiated that in the price. As decided I would rather select the company to refurb them rather than the garage sending them out and getting a quick job done and then me having to get them done again. Not agreed a handover date yet as got to finalise a few things first (e.g transfer private plate etc).

Quick question - does the b8 suffer the same problem as the B6 were the grommets in the scuttle/bulkhead get blocked and you end up with it full of water?

Mine hasn't filled up in the 4 years I've had mine but I do check every now and then. Just to be sure. I had a T reg Passat which cost me a lot to put right years ago after the pleniums blocked causing mayhem with the central locking.
Quick question - does the b8 suffer the same problem as the B6 were the grommets in the scuttle/bulkhead get blocked and you end up with it full of water?

Cheers, it will be one of the first things I check when I get it.

I had the problem on my B6 and ended up having to replace the brake servo and also had it on my current car but managed to avoid disaster by removing the grommets before the water cause any damage.