Looking to get back into Audi ownership, question about OBD based theft

lanceuppercut

Reaction score
I used to have a '99 A3 1.8T years ago which I sold for a Subaru Impreza RB5 that had to go recently due to ULEZ charges in London and along with other circumstances, I'm looking at getting an S4, RS4 would be the dream but a little out of my grasp at the moment!

I'm eyeing up a 2010 S4 but then read up about all this OBD shenanigans which I've never had to deal with before as both the A3 and RB5 were so old, OBD port theft probably wouldn't be a thing!

Is the problem that the thieves are programming new keys via the port then using it to simply drive off, and not doing some signal boosting from my key fob to the car itself if it has keyless entry? I don't know if this model even has keyless entry or anything like that tbh.

From what I can gather, they are able to clone a keycard via the OBD. Although to do that they've either got to break a window or have some magical rolling frequency device to fool the central locking into opening the car.

So much for technology. Cars with normal ignition keys are more time consuming to steal.

As far as I know, the OBD theft only really applies to newer vehicles, key less entry etc, one of the reason the bonnet now has to be open for the port to be active.

A 2010 S3 would need more conventional methods. A good immobiliser and steering lock can help. Plus dead locking. But if they want it, they’ll get it.

The 8P S3 is compatible with the ghost immobiliser.

As far as I know, the OBD theft only really applies to newer vehicles, key less entry etc, one of the reason the bonnet now has to be open for the port to be active.

A 2010 S3 would need more conventional methods. A good immobiliser and steering lock can help. Plus dead locking. But if they want it, they’ll get it.

The 8P S3 is compatible with the ghost immobiliser.
I'm looking at a 2010 S4 (not an 2010 S3), what's considered newer, and vulnerable? Also, would pulling the OBD port fuses be of any use to disable the port if it's too old to be stolen via high tech methods?

There’s plenty out there s4 etc and both on key and keyless, mines on key and it’s 2017 top spec 8v A3 sline (I opted for that specifically) if they have a and signal converter and jammer your cars gone. Ghost is the best but pricey also immobilise/alarm that alerts your phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk