Loooong wait until March 14....

MB RS3

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope you can feel my pain...

Got to wait until March next year to get my mate's Ibis White RS3... literally can't wait!

Such a complete car & the performance mixed with practically is second to none.

Any useful mods or ideas you guys can recommend?

I'm looking at going to APR Stage 1 & getting the Front & Rear Hubs done with POR15 as per John's review/advice!

Reactions: MBK, DAYTONA 500 and 45bvtc
Hi there, Or you could just go buy one now ? :racer:

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and MBK
Very true!

However... my mate will be selling it for a really good price... one i cant turn down... even if it is 7 months wait!

Cat by-pass pipes for the breathing and noise, plus the application of POR15, and leave it alone, just enjoy... :thumbsup:

And don't worry about the brakes, so much rubbish talked: I'm still with the standard set-up (plus the self adhesive anti-squeal shims of course) and my brakes are perfect for road use with NONE of the complaints reported elsewhere.

Ultimately, the MBK brake set-up will sort any track day ambitions you might have!

You WILL get used to the abilities of the RS3, bored even, but then you will with anything anyway. Best have access to something mundane if only as a reminder of how competent the RS3 is as a road going machine.

And it's subtle too; it doesn't attract attention, NICE!

Be patient, 195-days and counting; you will enjoy the RS3. :yahoo:

Reactions: quattro81, MB RS3, MBK and 1 other person
Sometimes the wait and anticipation makes things feel even better when you get them, it's always good to have things to work towards.

Only think I'd add to John's suggestions is a set of either Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres (about £200 a corner fitted and more track/road biased)- you can read my thoughts on them here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/rs3-fo...r-sports-taking-rs3-great-truly-gripping.html

Or a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's (slightly cheaper) and more a road biased tyre though still hugely capable, I haven't tried these myself but they get rave reviews in evo magazine on their RS4.

The standard Conti 5Ps are generally fine as a road tyre although you will find a few people who wore the fronts out in as few as 4000 miles (mine lasted about 8K), the edges or tyre shoulders as I call them wear out very quickly especially if you like to lean on the front tyres through roundabouts and so on.

Between the APR Stage I map (£800ish inc insurance increase), APfront discs and Pagid pads (£1500) and a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres (£800 fitted) I'd have to say the Super Sports are the best money I've spent.

Reactions: 45bvtc
I have to say that for normal road use, wet and dry, I find the original Continentals just fine - great in fact!

BUT between November and March I use winter tyres on a spare set of original rims: all detailed elsewhere on the RS3 forum. :cold:

For me, if you're driving as if to get away from your girlfriends husband then the Michelins do seem the way to go as good reports are to be had (and as MBK says). To be fair MBK has as considerable experience with both brakes and tyres as he uses his car on both road and track; and he most certainly does (in my experience) drive as if trying to get away from...

However, I also like the Goodyear F1's, and have driven several RS3's wearing them, but I'd only consider F1's if and when the original Continentals need replacing.

And I'm sure Mark and I will be discussing this subject (and more) tomorrow over coffee in the Cotswolds… :respekt:

So MB S3, just go get the bl**dy car; there will be a lot more advice freely available here on the RS3 forum.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and MBK
Just to add: having fitted 255/30 tyres on 8.5J rims at the front and transferring the std 235/35 tyres on 8J rims from the front to the back (done in May 2013), the ride in Bluey is as good as any Goodyear F1 shod RS3 I've driven. :yes:

Reactions: quattro81
Firstly how do you know about girlfriend and her husband?! ;) He only drives an M135i :puke2:so frankly getting away is no challenge. :p

I fully agree John I wouldn't replace the Conti's for the sake of it but the options are out there when the times comes.

I will say though that in my experience the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the best road and occasional track tyre I've experienced.

It'll be just one of a number of good talking points for tomorrow, looking forward to it! :friends:

Reactions: quattro81, monkeyboy_marcus and 45bvtc
Well john I've taken the plunge and bought a set of new wheels and tyres !! 8.5j here we come !!!

Reactions: quattro81, 45bvtc and monkeyboy_marcus
Well john I've taken the plunge and bought a set of new wheels and tyres !! 8.5j here we come !!!

:sign_omg:
How will you keep that quiet? :thrashi:

Good stuff Sean, you WILL be happy!

You/we really need to polish them before you fit 'em, the fronts to rears too :yahoo:

Let me know (dyno tomorrow in Tewkesbury).

Sometimes the wait and anticipation makes things feel even better when you get them, it's always good to have things to work towards.

Only think I'd add to John's suggestions is a set of either Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres (about £200 a corner fitted and more track/road biased)- you can read my thoughts on them here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/rs3-fo...r-sports-taking-rs3-great-truly-gripping.html

Or a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's (slightly cheaper) and more a road biased tyre though still hugely capable, I haven't tried these myself but they get rave reviews in evo magazine on their RS4.

The standard Conti 5Ps are generally fine as a road tyre although you will find a few people who wore the fronts out in as few as 4000 miles (mine lasted about 8K), the edges or tyre shoulders as I call them wear out very quickly especially if you like to lean on the front tyres through roundabouts and so on.

Between the APR Stage I map (£800ish inc insurance increase), APfront discs and Pagid pads (£1500) and a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres (£800 fitted) I'd have to say the Super Sports are the best money I've spent.

Yeah i will look into some MPSS for sure. You must rate them really highly! I read your detailed report on the APR map (fantastic write up btw) how are things going after a few weeks? Still happy you made the purchase?

I have to say that for normal road use, wet and dry, I find the original Continentals just fine - great in fact!

BUT between November and March I use winter tyres on a spare set of original rims: all detailed elsewhere on the RS3 forum. :cold:

For me, if you're driving as if to get away from your girlfriends husband then the Michelins do seem the way to go as good reports are to be had (and as MBK says). To be fair MBK has as considerable experience with both brakes and tyres as he uses his car on both road and track; and he most certainly does (in my experience) drive as if trying to get away from...

However, I also like the Goodyear F1's, and have driven several RS3's wearing them, but I'd only consider F1's if and when the original Continentals need replacing.

And I'm sure Mark and I will be discussing this subject (and more) tomorrow over coffee in the Cotswolds… :respekt:

So MB S3, just go get the bl**dy car; there will be a lot more advice freely available here on the RS3 forum.

Haha! John...Trust me i can't wait & i will be getting it... it's just a case of the waiting game at the mo for me!

I look forward to some RS3 meets next year! Have been keeping a real close eye on the RS3 forum for sometime & can see you guys know your stuff!

Hope you & Mark have a good day in the Cotswolds today! ENJOY!

Thanks for you Info,

Mal

UPDATE....

I will be getting the little beaut... in approx 3 weeks :drool:... Simply can not wait!!!

UPDATE....

I will be getting the little beaut... in approx 3 weeks :drool:... Simply can not wait!!!

Errrr? :think:

In your first post you wrote: "Got to wait until March next year to get my mate's Ibis White RS3... literally can't wait!" and now it's 3-weeks (ok, approx 3-weeks).

Is there something you want to tell us, have you found a shortcut we should be told about? :readit:

Bet you can't sleep nights...

Had mine 2-years now and there's still nothing out there I change it for! :thumbsup:

Can you share the wheel info, ET in particular and what size tyres your running on them?

Go see Sean's thread "New Rotor Alloys 8.5J" Neil; Sean now has the same set-up I have with 8.5J fronts with 255/30 (Continental's) and 8J rears with 235/35 (Continental's) which in my view for sensible road use are just fine... :yes:

Ok, having driven an RS3 on a NEW set of Goodyear's recently (and several others before) then I'd agree the 'ride' on the Goodyear's (at std 41/39 psi pressures) is much better than the original Continental's (at std pressure) but are NOT worth changing for unless you needed to change ALL 4-tyres. I've now dropped the pressure on my Continental's by 2psi front and rear (39/37) and am content, the wear pattern remaining even across the width of the tyre. :thumbsup:

All that said I guess I'm only 6-weeks away from having the Vredesteins back on; Oh those happy/snowy Audi RS3 days... :cold:

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Neil I've been running 235 Goodyear F1 all-round on the standard rims for the last 2.5 weeks its a vast improvement and am well pleased.

Errrr? :think:

In your first post you wrote: "Got to wait until March next year to get my mate's Ibis White RS3... literally can't wait!" and now it's 3-weeks (ok, approx 3-weeks).

Is there something you want to tell us, have you found a shortcut we should be told about? :readit:

Bet you can't sleep nights...

Had mine 2-years now and there's still nothing out there I change it for! :thumbsup:

Haha! I know... really happy indeed!

My mate is selling up earlier than predicted!! So i think 18th October is the day he gets his new car... which means its a countdown for me till the 18th!

Trust me i can't wait.... i will inspecting those rear hubs in some detail... i think POR-15 will be in order haha!

Trust me i can't wait.... i will inspecting those rear hubs in some detail... i think POR-15 will be in order haha!

GREAT news MB S3, let me know if I can advise further...

And don't forget the fronts, I've just applied POR15 to my NEW front brake discs... :thumbsup:

P1040099_zps4214c5da.jpg

Interestingly, my Audi dealer is now sufficiently convinced to trial POR15 :applaus:

Reactions: JonnyG
GREAT news MB S3, let me know if I can advise further...

And don't forget the fronts, I've just applied POR15 to my NEW front brake discs... :thumbsup:

P1040099_zps4214c5da.jpg

Interestingly, my Audi dealer is now sufficiently convinced to trial POR15 :applaus:

Quality John!

No doubt i will be in touch shortly for your advice!

Oh & btw those wheels looks stunning!

Thanks,

Mal

Reactions: T-800 and 45bvtc
Haha! I know... really happy indeed!

My mate is selling up earlier than predicted!! So i think 18th October is the day he gets his new car... which means its a countdown for me till the 18th!

IT'S the 18th of OCTOBER Mal! WELL? :yahoo:

Too busy to write maybe? Hope so!
:jump:

IT'S the 18th of OCTOBER Mal! WELL? :yahoo:

Too busy to write maybe? Hope so!
:jump:

John... i have a further 2 weeks to wait... I'm so gutted lol... :sadlike:

My mate's new car has had a slight delay so we are getting his on the 1st November... which is when i will have the 3!!

Countdown Number 2 has begun....

The wait is finally over lol! Got the car late on Thursday evening! :hubbahubba:

Haven't had time to drive it properly yet as i had to travel with my mate to Warrington from Hythe yesterday (to get his new car)... a trip that took in the end 14 hours!! The Traffic & Weather was shocking! M25 & M6 were complete nightmares both ways! (no surprises there i guess)

However i will be venturing out tonight for a "little play" and will report back with my thoughts in due course!

Initial feedback is that the car has effortless power & traction and feels a lot more capable than my previous S3!

(Oh and a quick one for John: My rear hubs are rusting & it "aint" pretty lol.. POR 15 will be required asap
:icon_thumright:)

Pictures will follow when the weather has improved and my car is CLEAN!

Cheers,

Mal

Reactions: T-800 and 45bvtc
GREAT news Mal, exactly what I'd have expected from you "Initial feedback is that the car has effortless power & traction and feels a lot more capable than my previous S3!" :yes:

Oh, and the rear hubs are an easy fix, honest...

Reactions: T-800 and MB RS3

However i will be venturing out tonight for a "little play" and will report back with my thoughts in due course!

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled around the area for you Mal :icon_thumright:

I think a little trip to Samphire Hoe is in order to give that tunnel a good rumble :happy:

Chris

Reactions: MB RS3