Loose drivers seat

will89

Reaction score
My driver's seat in my avant seems to be loose, it feels like the back of the seat moves forwards/back slightly when braking/accelerating. I have sat in the seat and can make it move slightly. Now i'm wondering if this is a common problem and can be fixed, or is it going to need a new seat?

Thanks

Will.

They have a fairly common problem with the lumbar support, is it that?

It seems as if its the whole seat as if its loose on the bottom.

Yes it is, i have just been out in it and it seems that it is just the rear of the seat that moves slightly

There are non-removeable bolts in the mechanism bottom of the seat that can distort and then the seat starts to become loose and moves up and down.

I had this on my passenger seat, cut the damaged bolt out as no other way of removing it (hacksaw blade and rag cutting for about an hour!!) and then made a new bolt which had to have quite a flush head to miss the moving mechanism. Made the bolt from an allen bolt and had to grind down the head. Been working great for the last 7 years.

There are non-removeable bolts in the mechanism bottom of the seat that can distort and then the seat starts to become loose and moves up and down.

I had this on my passenger seat, cut the damaged bolt out as no other way of removing it (hacksaw blade and rag cutting for about an hour!!) and then made a new bolt which had to have quite a flush head to miss the moving mechanism. Made the bolt from an allen bolt and had to grind down the head. Been working great for the last 7 years.

Can you get a pic or explain how to get to this bolt as I'm not sure which your on about. Thanks

I had to grind mine out with an angle grinder. You need to remove the seat to do it. Once out it is obvious what the problem is. I fitted a sleeved cut down coach bolt. Pictures won't be easy with the seat in place

I had to grind mine out with an angle grinder. You need to remove the seat to do it. Once out it is obvious what the problem is. I fitted a sleeved cut down coach bolt. Pictures won't be easy with the seat in place

How does the seat come out? Do you need to disconnect the battery due to the airbag? I'm guessing its just bolted to the floor?

I didn't disconnect the battery. I disconnected the multi plugs from under the plastic cover on the floor underneath the seat (Don't turn on the ignition with these disconnected) then unbolted (4 Bolts) the seat and subframe from the floor. Getting the seat out is easy. I covered mine with an old blanket (thick one) before grinding out the bolts. Without making up some replacements it looks like the whole subframe part would have to be changed. The job sounds harder than it is in reality. Mine were the leather seats, but I suppose the fault applies to All types