Loosing water fast

Audi doodie

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have just had a cam belt and water pump change on my 2.5 tdi Cabby and now I am having to put 2 Larson of water in daily. I have also noticed that when the low water indicator comes on the temp rises but then the indicator will go off and all will be back to normal. I suspect I may have an air lock but cannot see where the water is going when I loose it.
Any ideas??????
If it is an airlock situation any quick fixes for it?????
Cheers
Guys
Rob

can you see any leaks when the engine is running? when i had mine done the waterpump didnt seal properly and leaked from there. it all had to come back off. if you have no leaks visible when running then it could be airlocked. i believe where the two rad pipes go into the cabin through the bulkhead you pull back the black sleeve on one to reveal a small hole, do this while the engine is running and it will bleed the air out as this is the highest point of the cooling system, once the coolant starts flowing out push the sleeve back.

Temostat might be stuck .. Not opening

can you see any leaks when the engine is running? when i had mine done the waterpump didnt seal properly and leaked from there. it all had to come back off. if you have no leaks visible when running then it could be airlocked. i believe where the two rad pipes go into the cabin through the bulkhead you pull back the black sleeve on one to reveal a small hole, do this while the engine is running and it will bleed the air out as this is the highest point of the cooling system, once the coolant starts flowing out push the sleeve back.
Can't see any leaks which is what is confusing but if it's air locking it could just be pushing water out sporadically
it's going back to the garage who fitted the new cam belt and pump Thursday to have it checked out

Heaters on full blast, coolant cap off, brim the tank and hold the revs high. It might help blow the airlock throuh.

The hole in the heater pipe is for bleeding the heater. I don't know if the 2.5 is the same as the 2.0 FSI, but certainly on it there is a water pipe running along the top of the engine - this has a hex headed bleed nipple in it. I'd imagine there will be something similar?

I had the scary experience of loosing all the coolant after a belt and pump change. It turned out that the fix was to replace the header tank and its cap, both of which had failed. I had a subsequent failure of the flange at the back of the engine, although it was only responsible for a very minor coolant loss.

I have no idea why these problems surface after a pump change - perhaps the new one works better? Or perhaps the presence of an air lock following a coolant change over pressures the system? But, given my job was done by a decent garage I'd be surprised to have an air lock.

Last edited:
Ok Guys it seems it is a pipe failure the one that runs by the side of cylinder bank 1 under the turbo to the back of the motor. When the system was full it was p***ing out in all directions so all the manifolds and turbo off again and my pocket lightened to the sum of £400. I have asked the garage to keep the pipe for me as I would like to ascertain if was age or heat related failure being near the turbo. The car has 141k on it so it may well be age related.
Thanks for all the help
Rob