Loss of Power, engine died now wont restart!

Xmay4444

On Point!!
Reaction score
I need help guys!!!
Last night I was at the end of a run from Chelmsford to Heathrow (about 75 miles), and as I came off the M4, my engine just lost power! No warning lights or noises.
The car came to a halt but would not restart. I got the RAC out but they could not connect or read anything from the car using their diagnostics which he said could be caused by the ECU packing up, apart from that he could no fault with it.
The RAC got me home and say they will come back to tow me to a garage.

I dont know where to start, do I go to Audi and get shafted of what?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:crying:

Last edited:
Do you get any electrics working at all, interior lights, locks etc?

Yes, all electrics are working, the engine will turn over but will not fire.

Hi mate have you got VAG com with you.

Hi Colin,
Unfortunately I dont. Been considering getting it for quite some time now.

Digger, I dont know what compression is but the RAC did not take any cover off anything to check a belt.

I have tried to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery but still no joy. I've ended up losing a screwdriver and other bits in the engine bay!!!! AArrrgh!!!
Ive Also checked my fuses but cant find the bigger ones that should be in the engine bay.

Last edited:
Simple way to check,,, unscrew oil-filler cap, get someone to turn the ignition over,,, At the same time shine a torch inside rocker-cover through the oil-filler, to see if the cams turning !!!

Ah, Thanks Digger.
He did do that and the engine is turning even when I try it.

befor you do any thing more id check the belts asap befor keep turning it over if they have snaped mate

Just had a Cambelt and water pump done about a month ago.

dont mean it has not snaped mate id still look just to be safe

Check all the fusess mate, i've seen a couple of these blow a fuse when a coil goes pop and stops the engine dead.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.
I had checked all the fuses that are by the door but could not find the bigger ones in the engine bay.

Anyway, I've just been told that my fuel pump failed (£420). Mmmmmmm, is it actually that or just a fuse? Well, I have to accept that as the cause as I have no way of verifying this as I cant take it elswhere to get a second opinion.
Man I need to get me a VCDS!!!

id ask for the old pump when they fit the new one ;-) say some one wants it for some thing that way you no if its been done or not