Lost my car key....

Bugsy_27

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Basically I've lost my car key and now have to use my spare (which the previous owner used as his main key so its all worn).

Anyway Audi want £130 for a new key and £50 to program it, first thing I wanted to know is does anybody know anywhere cheaper that I can get a key and get it programmed OR could I get a key from ebay and get that programmed?

Thanks!

Aww Bugsy, that sucks, matey :(. You'd be best buying a key (don't know anything about Ebay ones unfortunately) and getting someone local with VCDS to code it up for you. It would certainly be a fair bit cheaper than have Audi do it for you. :wub: xx

I don't think you can programme immo in the key with vag com

pretty sure only dealers can code them, they have to get codes from germany direct. feel free to correct me. not sure in regards to an actual new fob.

hope you get it sorted out anyway.

When I lost my key for my Leon, my bank paid for it.

A lot of these special accounts with banks will cover it, I have additions active with Barclays who cover upto £600 a year for lost keys, worth a shot if you 'pay' for your bank account!

When I lost my key for my Leon, my bank paid for it.

A lot of these special accounts with banks will cover it, I have additions active with Barclays who cover upto £600 a year for lost keys, worth a shot if you 'pay' for your bank account!

Really? I have that type of account too. Thanks for the heads up!!

Someone in work has recommended a company in Manchester that do car keys, gave them a ring this morning and he checked his suppliers and they'd have to buy the key from Audi (add a little on top to make profit) and then they can only code keys upto 05 reg on the A3's and A4's :banghead:

I also explained to him that I'm 95% sure I left my key in the taxi and that I'm abit paranoid that all it takes is the taxi driver to check his last 2 drops and there's my car but he explained that they wipe all keys off the ecu then program my new key and my old one aswell. So if the taxi driver did come back with my key the central locking wont work, he'd be able to unlock it manually but wouldn't be able to start it because the immobiliser will be different. So really its only my valubles that are risk.....only thing in my car in my ray bans and a bottle of water! lol

So looks like I'll have to fork out !

ahhhh could Nige get hold of a key? Then I could take it to audi and get them to program it for me!

I've sent him a pm

the keys can only be programmed once so if u get one off of ebay make sure its new.

i agree with khufu! but usually the quality of the blades you get from ebay are not really good! my friend did the same thing. he bought a blank brand new key and then got it programmed with this company How do Car key Fobs Work? | Car Key Programming Technology . actually they could have provided him everything at a lesser price, the knew key, programming and a year warranty for the whole job. but too late cause my friend had that blank key from ebay already. so they just did the programming!