Loud whine/vibration from rear of car 2007 sportback

grantDUBshaw

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could help me with this problem, got a loud vibration/whine coming from the back of my car, sounds like a wheel bearing, any ideas on price and how easy/hard they are to fit and if its not a wheel bearing, any ideas what it could be? It only happens over 40 mph but a week or so ago only over 60 :/

Help will be very appreciated
Cheers
Grant

Rear wheel bearing from Audi is £131 according to ETKA. Part number depends on chassis number.

Sorry, don't know how difficult to fit.

Just wondering if anyone could help me with this problem, got a loud vibration/whine coming from the back of my car, sounds like a wheel bearing, any ideas on price and how easy/hard they are to fit and if its not a wheel bearing, any ideas what it could be? It only happens over 40 mph but a week or so ago only over 60 :/

I'll also throw in rear diff ( if quattro )

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's a rear diff you'd better sell your kids on ebay for medical experimentation. Mine went in warranty on my 8P2 and it was with Audi for a week whilst parts were sent in from Germany. It was whining more than grinding and got louder with speed.

Wheel bearing is more than I'd thought, remember paying about £11 for a wheel bearing on a Mk2 Golf which was the last one I ever fitted. Would German & Swedish be any cheaper?

Cheers for the replys, im only 19 and havent got kids haha, but its not the quattro luckily, when my car went in for injector recall at audi, they commented on my rear tyres have cracks on the inside so i rang up my local tyre garage and said that i have cracks in them and he then said straight away, does it sound like a wheel bearings gone when your driving... Sooo im going to get them changed tomorrow and see if that sorts it.

If not, wheel bearing it is :(

I have just had my rear wheel bearings replaced, they were £225 fitted. I replaced both as i couldn't be ***** getting the car back and the opposite side being louder than the newly replace one.

The bearing and the wheel hub come as one unit so the labour isn't that much.

hi mate

I know its not an audi but.......
i had an astra twin top as a temp company car and it had a horrendous wheel bearing noise from the rear, sent it in for warranty and they said it was tyres ( thought , they were talking rubbish, as i have in the past been a mechanic for 15 yrs and never heard of it before)

anyway, tyres it was, so my advice would be if they are already cracked and need replacing, change them before you spend anything on rear wheel bearings

hope this helps

jon

I have just had my rear wheel bearings replaced, they were £225 fitted. I replaced both as i couldn't be ***** getting the car back and the opposite side being louder than the newly replace one.

The bearing and the wheel hub come as one unit so the labour isn't that much.

Hi Aiden,

I'm new on here having just bought my my 2004 A3 2.0L FSI Sport :)
I've just phoned Audi for quotes on getting rear wheel bearings done.
Called 3 dealers.
1st said they need to do a diagnostic first at a cost of £150 / hour ?!?!?! Half that if it take half an hour.
Second garage didn't mention this diagnosis. Said OSR rear bearing fitted would be £231.32. When I asked about getting both done to be safe they said it would be DOUBLE that !!
Called my local garage , Marlow VW. They quoted just under £200 for one side.
Where did you get your rear wheel bearings ( both ? ) done for £225 ?
Then there's still the possibility it may be the tyres and not the bearing at all ..

Any help here would be much appreciated !

Cheers,

Ben

Alright mate,

Jagojon ... I already thought about that stratergy and had my rear tyres changed as they were low and worn and still no luck :( so its definitely a wheel bearing

Had it checked today and both rear wheel bearings have gone :( I can get two hubs off a 60 plate a3 2.0tdi for 120 off a friend.. Mates rates ;) Now im just wondering 1. if they will fit my car seen as its a 57 plate and 2. if its a easy enough job to do myself and also what tools are needed?

AidenUK ... were they OEM hubs or aftermarket ones? :)

Cheers

Chaps i had all four tyres replaced with a decent premium brand and the noise was still there, it's like a constant humming noise and gets louder and quieter depending on your speed?

I got mine done in Keighley, i assume they were after market ones, £225 for both rears supplied and fitted.

New hubs, discs and pads :) all sorted now, cheeers! :) ALTHOUGH earlier when i pulled up on drive, my glow plug light was flashing at me :/ any ideas?