Loud 'Whoosh' Sound ***Vid Included***

Mujnu

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just started having a problem on my drive to Manchester today. My car started suddenly making a really loud 'whoosh' sound (best I can describe it lol) when I'm comming up to boost from approx 1700rpm onwards. There's no EML other than the car feels a little sluggish and my fuel economy has suddenly gone poor. I'm guessing I may have a leak? Possible turbo pipe split?

I'll be taking it to a garage next week, but thought I'd get some opinions first for possible problem and/or fix.

The car is an A3 8P (2006) 1.9tdi BKC.

I've taken a video, the sound can be heard most at the beginning and end when I have started to accelerate (approx 17-1800rpm up):

Thanks in advance.

That sounds like a boost leak to me, on my old Audi I had this issue all the time for me it was the intercooler pipe on the left not necessary same for you but I would start checking all hoses.

Reactions: Mujnu
That sounds like a boost leak to me, on my old Audi I had this issue all the time for me it was the intercooler pipe on the left not necessary same for you but I would start checking all hoses.

That's exactly what I'm thinking that it's a boost leak, the whooshing sound is defo coming from the front half of the car. I just hope it's not too much of an expensive fix lol thanks for the reply Benny

No, it shouldn't be an expensive fix if it's a simple as a loose hose/pipe for me it was those stupid clips Audi use on them kept coming loose so the pipe would come away a little causing a whoosh noise as you describe at times if I put my foot to floor it would pop off completely with a loud bang.

No, it shouldn't be an expensive fix if it's a simple as a loose hose/pipe for me it was those stupid clips Audi use on them kept coming loose so the pipe would come away a little causing a whoosh noise as you describe at times if I put my foot to floor it would pop off completely with a loud bang.

I'm hoping it is just a few clips lol but I didn't hear a bang so I'm thinking it could be a split. I'll get it checked out soon. Thanks

It's hard to say without physically looking at it, but it'll be one of the pipes in there could be a clip, split in the pipe all sorts. Check it over and report back, I'm sure others will reply who may know more than me.

Turns out it was a split in a boost pipe, a pipe at the front drivers side, think it was leading to intercooler but I didn't pay much attention. New pipes on and it's back to normal :)

Reactions: benny279
Glad you got it sorted! :)

Those pipes are annoying... :D