Low lights

ohmyaudi

Reaction score
I've got self levelling Xenon's that are incredibly low! Driving last night on dual carriageway and I couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of me when using dipped beams. I know that there's the little screw you can adjust but that didn't seem to work, the lights just reset to the dangerously low level. When I first get in the car they do a sweep up and down but just seem to settle really low. Any ideas?

Could be a failed ride height sensor on the suspension (or wiring to it). As the xenons are really bright, they have to auto-level, lowering themselves if you put a heavy load in the boot meaning they'd otherwise point upwards.

If a sensor fails, then I think they might automatically go really low (so it makes sure it's not dazzling).

I've no idea if that'd bring up an error message on the dashboard too though...

I guess if the linkage had come off the sensor, it might not realise it's got a fault but could go low as it thinks the car is pointing up at the front.

if you can get hold of VCDS have it scanned and calibrated.

you can trick it too by parking on a hill and having it calibrated - for them to be higher / go further.

if you can get hold of VCDS have it scanned and calibrated.

you can trick it too by parking on a hill and having it calibrated - for them to be higher / go further.
Agree about scanning with VCDS. I'm not sure the hill thing would work though; I think it's measuring how far front/back wheels are compressed into the wheel arch (technically suspension arm travel) to know whether the car is pointing up or down compared to the road, rather than measuring actual angle compared to horizon.

you can also manually adjust them with a Alun key,turn left to move the beam up

Called Audi and they reckon maybe a sensor problem causing the lights to be really low. Car isn't showing any faults on vcds though. Depending on what it is could be covered under warranty. Might just take it to independent Audi garage to be honest. Anyone had this problem before?

A number of people had the same issue if you do a search (if I find the post I'll put a link up). I followed the manual adjustment technique that was detailed in the thread but still have the problem. I believe the self-levelling function may override the manual adjustment. I have VCDS but couldn't find a method to recalibrate them using it.
Main beam is fantastic, but dipped beam is terrible. The sharp, clear cut off of the beam doesn't help. On older style lights you tend to get a 'bleed' of light beyond the cut off line which helps.

I has this same issue with my PFL Sportback - I asked Audi to look at it on two separate occasions when the car was in for servicing and both times they came back that they had calibrated the lights and they were where they should be...

90% of the time the lights were fine, but every now and then I would push on down a country lane and would not feel comfortable on dipped beam.

People really shouldn't be playing with the adjustment screws themselves. Leave it to Audi to do. The number of cars you see on the road with badly adjusted Xenon lights almost blinding you because the owner thought they knew what they were adjusting is ridiculous. It's bad enough that people have their manually adjustable headlights set too high.

People really shouldn't be playing with the adjustment screws themselves. Leave it to Audi to do. The number of cars you see on the road with badly adjusted Xenon lights almost blinding you because the owner thought they knew what they were adjusting is ridiculous. It's bad enough that people have their manually adjustable headlights set too high.

That'll be down to older cars with badly fitted bulbs or ****** enclosures, the manual adjustment doesn't raise them up that much that it would blind others

Reactions: FR4NC15