Low mileage servicing - carry on with Longlife regime?

The Cardinal

For the love of cars
Reaction score
My 2014 1.4 TFSI CoD had oil changes and inspection services at exact 2 year intervals in 2016, 2018 and 2020 with Audi. The cambelt, brake fluid etc have been changed on the dot, also at Audi.

This means it's been run on a longlife service schedule, doing ~6k miles per year over the 6 years that it was with its first owner. I guess the service indicator was set to variable for the previous owner, but for me it's been set up by the dealer as annual.

I think my annual mileage will be closer to 3-4k miles a year. I know you're meant to do annual oil changes with low mileage use, but what do people think about just carrying on with the Longlife approach?

It gets used infrequently, but usually on 100+ mile runs. I do look after my cars very well, but I don't think it'll make a huge difference personally? I'll probably keep it until 2022/3.

Last edited:
From what he has described I wouldn't, I'd stick with long life / 2 years. The car gets the occasional good run so should be fine sitting about in between.

Reactions: Philip Davies
Audi recommend yearly if doing low miles.

I do a lot of short journeys/low yearly mileage, engine oil wears out quicker the less you drive, so it's more wear and tear on the cars engine. My view is that for the sake of a yearly oil change = protect the engine more. Not to mention I get everything inspected more often, which may catch something before it fully breaks/goes wrong! Or if they spot your tyres are wearing unevenly, they cold fix it to save you buying 2 new tyres prematurely, that saving has then paid for the oil change/service.

I am doing a major service every year and a minor service every 6 months, but I am a bit anal
Seals and other bits breakdown and would rather keep on top of it for the sake of £120.00 every year.
Also leave Audi and go to a good Audi Approved Indy, they will charge a fraction of the price.