Low Oil Pressure Warning again!!!!

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
Bit pi##ed off to say the least!
I had the oil pump changed about 3 weeks ago, then tonight I get the warning again out the blue.
Getting the right hump with this car now!
Gonna have to see what the guy at the garage where it was done has to say I guess
:) :(

id be checking the actual pressure with a guage, It could be a gummed up sensor giving a false negative

Will do. It was my first thought last time so I got him to check it first and he said the pressure was very low so went ahead and did the pump. It seems exactly the same symptoms as before. Warning comes on at around 1800 rpm but goes out again by about 2500 rpm. This was after a motorway drive and with hot oil.
Hope it's as simple as the sensor.

Is the oil pressure release valve part of the pump? if not you could have a weak spring in there causing low pressure.

Does anyone have any more info on this valve, is it part of the oil filter housing? Can you just replace this valve thing?
Guy at the garage is on holiday until a week on Tuesday so I'm a bit screwed for getting it sorted till then. I'm not going to risk driving it again so now I've got the nightmare of trying to find a car to borrow!
Guess I won't know any more until I get that pressure test done but keep the advice coming lads please if you have any :)

pressure relief valve is part of the pump, the velve inside the oil housing is just a non return valve to keep the top end pressureised for as long as possible to prevent rattles on start up

To add insult to injury, I now have to drive round in a bright green Hyundi i20 but at least I'm mobile.

Still waiting for a diagnosis from the garage. He did say he also replaced the pressure sensor at the same time he did the pump. So I still have no idea what the problem is. Could it be bearings? (all I can think of) are these known to fail?. Engine is as quiet as you would expect for nearly 180k

Have they put the correct grade oil in ?? As semi synth or mineral oil will sludge up quicker, also if you had sludge issues previously did they flush the engine out ?? All i can think off unless its a faulty pump ??

my mate had a hell of a time with his low level oil pressure light coming on. he also changed the pump pick up pipe extra and still had the problem. he was advised to use a genuine Audi filter he done this and the light stayed off it could be worth a bash..

My guess is they havent actually changed the pressure sensor, or they've fitted a cheap ****ty one.

Find a new garage, it doesnt take a week to diagnose low oil pressure.

Kev said:
Find a new garage, it doesnt take a week to diagnose low oil pressure.
To be fair it wasn't really the garages fault. He was away on holiday and I was 60 miles away from the car, plus I didn't want anyone else to look at it seeing as that garage had replaced the pump only 3 weeks previous.
Fault traced to bad pressure switch that was replaced at same time as pump. Failed switch was a genuine Audi part too!
So all back running sweet again, Phew!
However, thinking of selling up now. I'm doing 14k a year in it and am in need of something a bit more economical on fuel. Currently thinking of a golf tdi 130
Thanks for all the input as usual lads ;)

To be fair it wasn't really the garages fault. He was away on holiday and I was 60 miles away from the car, plus I didn't want anyone else to look at it seeing as that garage had replaced the pump only 3 weeks previous.
Fault traced to bad pressure switch that was replaced at same time as pump. Failed switch was a genuine Audi part too!
So all back running sweet again, Phew!
However, thinking of selling up now. I'm doing 14k a year in it and am in need of something a bit more economical on fuel. Currently thinking of a golf tdi 130
Thanks for all the input as usual lads ;)

Dont sell!! Garage it as a weekend toy!

The golfs are good cars.. make sure it has a good service history and has been run on the right VAG PD engine oil
the PD engine isint as bomb proof as the old TDi engine with the mechanical pump but if looked after and serviced regular it should serve you well.

my mate is a taxi driver and swore by the old TDi engine and said he never had one go seriously wrong yet the 2 PD engined passats he had both decided to go majorly wrong before they got to 200k

jbh said:
and has been run on the right VAG PD engine oil
Funnily enough, I've just been reading about that. Thanks for the tip ;)
Sulli79 said:
Dont sell!! Garage it as a weekend toy!
Wish I could but can't afford the luxury of doing that unfortunately :(

Dont sell it lpg convert it for the week and stick to good old Vpower at the weekends :p

Dont sell it lpg convert it for the week and stick to good old Vpower at the weekends :p

we had the octavia 1.8t 4x4 with an lpg conversion was a great idea but having to travel nearly 20 miles for the nearest lpg garage was a pita and to be honest with the way the price is going on the lpg and the fact you get reduced mpg on it we were finding it not worth our while.

It's a shame but I think lpg has had it's day. My dad used to run an old converted Rangey but he got rid coz the local garage got rid of it's gas. I don't think lpg ever really took off (in rural locations anyway)
I've owned Audi's for 20yrs now and although it really gives me a heartache, I think it's time for a bit of a break. I will miss quattro so much though. I'm not in a great place financially just now and need a motor that can eat miles. I don't know that I'm doing the right thing and I know I could get a derv A4 but I've really had enough of A4's for now.
Anyone wanna buy my bit rusty round the arches tqs?