Low oil warning, how many litres to top it up ?

Audicfc

Reaction score
The low oil warning light has came on dashboard and dipstick is at the very lowest mark it could be but i dont want to get it serviced till 1st june once the 12 month service is due and when i will get the mot done same day.

Would it be ok to just add 1 litre of castrol edge 5w30 just now to get me through till the service and oil change or will i need more than 1 litre put back in today to get ?

I also have a castrol edge 5w30 4l bottle with around 3l still in it but its around 3-4 years old and seal has been opened, would this be ok to use today or should i just buy fresh oil the car is a 2014 1.8 tfsi a3

Around 1 liter should be enough to fill the missing part of the oil. Just fill with half liter and check if the oil dipstick is between the max-min range, you might add the other half if it is very close to the min.

You shouldn't use that old oil, shelf life for sealed oil is 5 years if I'm not mistaken and considering your is opened for 3 years. Be safe than sorry.

Reactions: Audicfc
Thanks for that 1 litre of castrol edge got me about half way between the max and min so should hopefully be ok for the next 4-5 weeks till i get full service

Thanks for that 1 litre of castrol edge got me about half way between the max and min so should hopefully be ok for the next 4-5 weeks till i get full service
You can always check it periodically rather than rely on the warning light.

Reactions: KenL, Flying Scotsman, Matt Titanium and 1 other person
Yes i will do now, at least i know the sensor is still in working order anyway