Low power in 1st gear when it kicks down from second.

AlexS38V

Reaction score
Hello,
So I've done some searches and posted in the S3 8v facebook group, but haven't had much luck.

I'm having an intermittent issue where 1st gear delivers a constant low power. It doesn't build up through the rpms but stays flat.
The moment its in second gear its full power and no issues.
I think its only happening when I floor it and it kicks down when rolling second gear.
Everything is serviced very recently and its doesn't throw any lights or messages in OBD11.

Has anyone experienced similar or have any idea what might be causing this?
I'm concerned it might be tell tale sign of something else that could lead to a bigger issue if not addressed.
TIA

It sounds to me a sensible thing. There should be no need to kick down to first gear and doing so would more likely than not throw you off the road and wreck your tyres. The amount of torque in first gear compared to second is huge.

It sounds to me a sensible thing. There should be no need to kick down to first gear and doing so would more likely than not throw you off the road and wreck your tyres. The amount of torque in first gear compared to second is huge.
I would have thought it wouldn't kick down if it was bad for the car.

My point is that there should never be a situation on the road requiring a kick down from second to first. If there is then maybe you should address your driving attitude

As i mentioned its only in specific scenarios using kick down. Its not my driving style as all I am doing is using the features of the car. Regardless of whether it should or shouldn't kick down, the power issue is what i want tk address.
If kicking down to 1st was so bad, it wouldn't do it automatically. It woukd just start to accelerate in second gear.

Launching and flooring it whilst in 1st gear is fine. Its just sometimes when it kicks down, not every single time.

Maybe it's the TC system overriding the throttle input to keep the car stable?
it does feel like something is stopping it, but not getting any TC lights flashing either.
The feeling is as if its stuck at a static power output all the way through the revs until it changes gear at which point normal power returns. TC would feel more of an increase of power with slight cuts to it. I think...

it does feel like something is stopping it, but not getting any TC lights flashing either.
The feeling is as if its stuck at a static power output all the way through the revs until it changes gear at which point normal power returns. TC would feel more of an increase of power with slight cuts to it. I think...
The car is torque limited in 1st (and I think 2nd) anway as car has more power then it can put down on the road but that wouldn't lead to static rpm. I agree with Garrett69 that its likely TC intervention.

Reactions: AlexS38V and Garrett 69