Low tone horn stopped working

rongagain

Reaction score
Just realised the low tone horn on my September 2009 A3 has stopped working. The higher tone is working ok.
So questions:

Is there one fuse shared between both high and low horns? Or one each?
Is the horn behind the fog light grill area, or does the bumper have to come off?
Is it a common fault?

Many thanks for any answers or tips

Anybody know?
It was only when I tried the horn (not used for months) that I realised the low tone was not working
Thanks

Both horns are driven by an On-Board supply control unit. There is a fuse that supplies this unit with 12v, called F17 in the engine compartment rated at 15amps. So, if one horn is working, it looks like a wiring/connector issue for the low-tone horn, or the horn has failed. According to the Hayes manual, access to both horns is by taking off the bumper. The horns are fitted to both sides of the front crossmember. Have not done this myself, so another member may know a simpler way to get at them. Horns do deteriorate due to corrosion inside, but fortunately they are not expensive to replace. Hope this helps.

Reactions: rongagain
Thank you very much Geraldy212, that is most helpful.

Cheers

Mine once did this but it turned out to have been caused by water!!!

I had mine changed by Audi under warranty a couple of months back! My high tone failed because of water ingress. Pull the O\S fog surround off & you'll be able to see them through the aperture.

I had mine changed by Audi under warranty a couple of months back! My high tone failed because of water ingress. Pull the O\S fog surround off & you'll be able to see them through the aperture.

Are both high and low tone horns together behind the O/S fog surround? Does the surround just pull off?
Thanks to all replies

Yes, they're on a bracket & Yes, the surround just pulls\tugs off ...grip the fins near the inner end and give it a sharp tug. :undwech:

To put it back on, locate the outer peg first, then give it a few thwacks with the palm of your hand near the other clips.