Lowering S Line

NC10

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been looking at lowering my 2009 S line. I've only managed to find -30mm by H&R for the 2.0 quattro convertible, am I right in thinking this would give me a 10mm drop on the s line?

I don't have the funds to go all out coilovers or bags so they're out of the equation.

Cheers

This all depends on the suspension your car came with fella.

I've just purchased 35mm lowering springs for mine, it originally had sport suspension (1be) so my car should sit 15mm lower than standard.

It took me a while to work out what I needed so hopefully when I get them fitted it will be something like I'm after.
Coilover reviews mention being very hard & crashy with the cheaper options on the market hence why I went for the h&r springs.

I'm sure someone will give you some more advice regarding coilovers.

Mines a coupe also so don't know if there are more spring options for them...

Hi all,

I've been looking at lowering my 2009 S line. I've only managed to find -30mm by H&R for the 2.0 quattro convertible, am I right in thinking this would give me a 10mm drop on the s line?

I don't have the funds to go all out coilovers or bags so they're out of the equation.

Cheers

It can be a bit of a minefield. As mentioned by W2 below you really need to establish what suspension you have. Look in the boot near the spare wheel and check the sticker which says what extras are on the car. It's likely to be 1BE (the more common 'Sport' suspension which is -20mm) or 1BV (the more rarer 'S-Line' suspension which is -30mm).

There are also loads of previous posts on this subject so dedicate a couple of hours reading them - it will be time well invested trust me.

If you have 1BE and going for the -35mm from H&R it should lower by a further 15-20mm. If 1BV it will lower your car slightly (by 5-10mm) because the H&Rs lower slightly more than advertised (but don't expect a huge drop, because 1BV is already fairly low).

If you want more choice/flexibility but don't want to spend huge money on coilovers you could go for the KW Adjustable Springs (which I've heard good things about), see: http://www.kwsuspensions.co.uk/kw/info/thread_springs/

I personally went for Eibach Pro-Kit springs but it hasn't lowered the car enough at the front so have bought some 2nd hand KW Street Comfort coilovers where you can adjust both the ride height and the rebound rate (stiffness). Going onto the car soon, can't wait.

Hope that helped.

Cheers

This all depends on the suspension your car came with fella.

I've just purchased 35mm lowering springs for mine, it originally had sport suspension (1be) so my car should sit 15mm lower than standard.

It took me a while to work out what I needed so hopefully when I get them fitted it will be something like I'm after.
Coilover reviews mention being very hard & crashy with the cheaper options on the market hence why I went for the h&r springs.

I'm sure someone will give you some more advice regarding coilovers.

Mines a coupe also so don't know if there are more spring options for them...

+1. Get some pics up dude

Reactions: W2 NCC
They are not fitted at the moment but you sure will have pics when they are, along with the new grill that i ain't got the guts to tackle...

Reactions: Donny_DJ
Thanks for the replies.

Yep 1be, so as I can only get -30mm it would put me on par with proper S line suspension.

The adjustable springs look good though, still a bit pricey but obviously not as much as full coilovers. I think thats the only way I'm going to get the drop I want.

Pic of as it is now, if you zoom in on the back wheel you can see the size of the gap. The 45mm from the adjustable springs should sort this, or at least the extra 20/25mm.

20180107 210955

H&Rs should remedy the gap but for extra flexibility/option on the ride height go for the KW adjustables. Also couple this with H&R spacers say 10mm at front and 15mm rears and you're laughing. Stance will be spot on

Cheers mate. One of the first things I mentioned when we first looked at the car was how far under the arches the wheels were, definitely needs spacers.

Reactions: Donny_DJ
I've just been having another look and the normal springs are actually 30/20, so the back would stay as it is.

Would you want that? Talking from experience you last thing you'd want is to lower it on springs then not be happy and have to do it again with coillies, loadsa £ wastage on labour/alignment

No not at all, I don't want to pay just to drop the front 10mm.

Obviously quattro is playing a part somewhere along the line as to why I can't get any lower on standard lowering springs, but s line suspension is lower than I have so there must be some movement. It will have to be the adjustable springs.

How much did it cost you to have them fitted if you don't mind me asking, or did you DIY them?

No not at all, I don't want to pay just to drop the front 10mm.

Obviously quattro is playing a part somewhere along the line as to why I can't get any lower on standard lowering springs, but s line suspension is lower than I have so there must be some movement. It will have to be the adjustable springs.

How much did it cost you to have them fitted if you don't mind me asking, or did you DIY them?

Just seen this. Labour for fitting suspension can range £60-90 per corner, worth asking around a few garages