Lowering springs, standard shocks...

smitch

Reaction score
Want to drop my S4 a bit, but too much, and don't want to sacrifice too much of the ride quality as it's just so smooth! And i'm not looking to fit bigger wheels either.

I've always lowered cars with springs AND shocks before but understand that people on here have used just lowering springs alone.

I only want to go down 25-30mm, any comments from people that have actually done this would be welcomed.

:salute:

It's going to be a better ride with matched springs and shocks mate and even a 30mm drop will make your standard shocks go alot sooner then what they would of with just the standard springs.

How many miles do they have on them as well?

Damian @ DPM

Dunno how many miles are on em, i'd have to look through the receipts etc.

I only drive about 50 miles a week, not even that sometimes so it's not a car that's driven everyday only on weekends.

It's just that the ride is so nice on the S4 compared to my 1.8T that i lowered, i just don't want to sacrifice it and have everything starting to rattle loose in the cabin!!!

i'd be very very careful here if you want to keep the car driving as nicely as it does now.

If you fit shorter springs they need to be firmer to stop the car bottoming out. This will alter the ride, ie make it harder. They will also likely be pushing the limits of the stock audi shock meaning you need different shocks. I'd be very careful about choosing aftermarket parts because cheap shocks and springs will make the car handle worse that it does just now.

something like eibach for springs and koni or bilstein for shocks i would recommend. Also worth mentioning that making that car lower may make it handle worse. Its double wishbone front end has better geometry control than a mac-strut, but it will still be changing the way audi expected the suspension to perform and its probably for the worse.

If you do chose to lower it, i'd recommend no lower than 20mm over stock, and the lower wishbone bushes really should be loosened and retorqued at the new ride height so the lower bushes are operating in the correct plane (when they are fitted they get torqued up with the car sitting on its wheels).

I run RS4 shocks on H&R Race spring and they work well I ran them also on my stock sport spring for near on 2years without any issues.

Providing the dampers are healthy they should cope with a 30mm spring kit. Try and use a progressively wound spring as well as this will keep a fairly compliant ride. With lowering though there will always be a bit of a trade off between comfort and handling.

When I bought my A4 I asked for factory sports springs (20mm) to be fitted. The shocks were non-sport standard shocks (already covered 32k miles). There were no issues as far as ride was concerned (after 25k miles). The ride was still fine and smooth. However, I have noticed that the rear was a little lower than a 1.8T sport's rear, maybe due to sagging/worn shocks? Having said that I don't recommend standard shocks with lowering springs. :)

You can find lowering springs/shocks that give you the ride comfort & quality that's close to stock but whatever springs/shocks you go for you will inevitably lose some ride comfort because the springs are stiffer especially on rough/bumpy surfaces. You can't avoid it.

i find when im traveling at higher speeds (of course not above 70mph..........) my car feels very uneasy and not secure. is this failing shocks?? or springs

One of the front bushes or balljoints. There's plenty of them to cause problems. Took me ages to trace which one was causing my problems

I have always fitted matched shocks and springs to my previous cars, but tbh I always ended up with a ride that was imo too firm (Koni Sport & ACS-Billies with Eibachs)

This time round I decided to fit H&R springs (Eibach rear springs always seem to be too soft) with new oem sport shocks - I didn't want to put aftermarket shocks on and make the ride overly firm.

This has resulted in a marginally lower stance with better handling and only a slight degradation in ride comfort.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these springs (30mm drop iirc) were designed to be fitted to the standard shocks anyway?

N

afaik yes the eibachs are designed with the standard parts in mind. How much were the OEM shocks? Mine are clearly original and after 160k miles they really cant be at their best any more!

Have your standard shocks not done the same number of miles as the car??

Eibach springs are a popular choice on the S4.

Aragorn - I believe the oem sports shocks (red) were around £300 + vat, but Id have to check to be sure.

Blue - Only if they are the original set. Its not uncommon to find individual shocks having been replaced due to leakage, over a cars lifetime.

N

thats interesting that you say the OE sports shocks are red...

The shocks on the front of mine are Blue, have the audi rings and BOGE stamped on them. Rears are black but ive not checked those for any logo's stamps.

is it possible these arent OE sport shocks? i have a feeling the rears may be aftermarket as the rear is very soft compared to the front.

mine are red too and mine is a sport and they are geniune shockers. just ordered my new spax suspension kit. woohoo. cant wait. anyone want full set of shockers, springs?? all genuine and by looks in mint condition

I have fitted eibach proline shocks and sportline spring and the ride on standard wheels is very good on 18s its a little hard. but its a big drop as well about 40mm i will post pics up soon, i did not want COs as they are to hard but i wanted a very low drop.

I've got Eibach springs (40mm drop) with standard shocks and has been fine for 2 1/2 years!!

only problem is though just replacing spring is sockers are trying to move alot more that what the springs do. new shockers matched to the springs work with each other