Lowering springs

Sclark

Reaction score
Was thinking about putting lowering springs on my S3 8v but concerned about my suspension n everything else in that department would the springs cause damage or future problems ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Unless you went super low then no

I have had numerous brands of springs in numerous cars over the years with little to no issue - i will be putting H&R springs in my S3 soon

Cheers much appreciated

I take it the super sports are the lowest ones ?

I've got Eibach sportline springs on mine, nice drop and great ride and no issues - coming up to two years old.

Reactions: AL_B, Rob2k68 and PanamaS3
I think a lot of people "in the know" (ie. driving enthusiasts) who don't want massive drop but improved handling go with the Eibach sportline springs....and if you are a real enthusiast and have the money to spend then I'd say the MSS adjustable sport springs are probably the best

Reactions: Rob2k68 and batch
Eibach pro kit here, no issues at all and not to low

Reactions: Rob2k68
There's a set of Eibach springs for sale in the classifieds although I haven't checked to see if they are correct for your specific model.

Could you link it here ?

Done 23k miles on my sportlines only issue was the top mounts and bearings well worth replacing or upgrading when the springs go in - that goes for any spring BTW.

Reactions: PanamaS3
Oops. Sorry guys, just realised I posted about the springs for sale in the classifieds on the wrong thread.

Which are firmer or softer, H&R or Eibach?

What are differences between:

- "Eibach 10mm Pro Lowering Suspension Springs" and the "Eibach 25/20mm Sportline" ...
- "H&R 15mm Lowering Springs" and "H&R 20 mm Lowering Springs"

...apart from the differences in the lowering drop. Which give the best compromise between firmness and compliance?

Also, which would you say is most suitable for a mag ride car? Do the drive select modes for the suspension still work to a degree? I assume the springs would increase firmness across the board in all drive select suspension modes, but what is it like in Comfort, Auto and Dynamic?

Thanks

AL

Which are firmer or softer, H&R or Eibach?

What are differences between:

- "Eibach 10mm Pro Lowering Suspension Springs" and the "Eibach 25/20mm Sportline" ...
- "H&R 15mm Lowering Springs" and "H&R 20 mm Lowering Springs"

...apart from the differences in the lowering drop. Which give the best compromise between firmness and compliance?

Also, which would you say is most suitable for a mag ride car? Do the drive select modes for the suspension still work to a degree? I assume the springs would increase firmness across the board in all drive select suspension modes, but what is it like in Comfort, Auto and Dynamic?

Thanks

AL

My understanding is that H&R is firmer and more track suited.

I have mag ride and you are correct that it still works fine but is 20-25% firmer across the board BUT on my Sportback the springs fixed 90% of the bouncy issues I had with the back end.

Also worth upgrading your anti roll bars as that yields good handling improvements- I have Eibach upgraded ARBs fitted to compliment the springs.

Reactions: AL_B
My understanding is that H&R is firmer and more track suited.

I have mag ride and you are correct that it still works fine but is 20-25% firmer across the board BUT on my Sportback the springs fixed 90% of the bouncy issues I had with the back end.

Also worth upgrading your anti roll bars as that yields good handling improvements- I have Eibach upgraded ARBs fitted to compliment the springs.

Thanks Rob.

Going a little off-topic here...
The suspension is strange to say the least on this car. Since first driving an S3 8V (PFL) last year and now my FL, (both with mag ride) the suspension is very "crashy" IMO. That's the only word I can think to describe it. There's that jolt as the wheel goes over a rut in the road and a kind of emptiness. Yet my old car and our Golf R, just seemed to absorb things better. Its strange.

Another odd thing I noticed the other night was going over a typical British speed bump. The traditional "sleeping policeman" type. Car was fully in Dynamic mode. I very slowly went over the speed bump, and as each axle went over it, the car just bounced 2-3 times a bit like some softly sprung big American sedan!! (Ok slight exaggeration, but you get what I mean). Weird, I'd expect that maybe in Comfort, but not Dynamic.

Is that what you refer to when you say "bouncy issues"?

AL

Thanks Rob.

Going a little off-topic here...
The suspension is strange to say the least on this car. Since first driving an S3 8V (PFL) last year and now my FL, (both with mag ride) the suspension is very "crashy" IMO. That's the only word I can think to describe it. There's that jolt as the wheel goes over a rut in the road and a kind of emptiness. Yet my old car and our Golf R, just seemed to absorb things better. Its strange.

Another odd thing I noticed the other night was going over a typical British speed bump. The traditional "sleeping policeman" type. Car was fully in Dynamic mode. I very slowly went over the speed bump, and as each axle went over it, the car just bounced 2-3 times a bit like some softly sprung big American sedan!! (Ok slight exaggeration, but you get what I mean). Weird, I'd expect that maybe in Comfort, but not Dynamic.

Is that what you refer to when you say "bouncy issues"?

AL

Yes that describes it very well hence why it's sometimes referred to as a bouncy castle on here ;o)

Reactions: pburv and AL_B
Interested in this thread as I will be doing mine in the next month or two.
I've already bought the springs or should I say 2 sets of springs lol
I got the H&R's as they have always been my springs of choice but I also came across a set of Eibach pro's.
My understanding is the H&R's will sit the car lower but on my last S3 8P on H&R's, they settled a little too low for speed bumps imo.
I'm thinking the Pro's could be more suited to the mag ride as they'll be a little higher?
I think I'm leaning towards the Eibachs tbh!

Reactions: Rob2k68 and AL_B
interesting I had H&r springs on my golf and i found over dips in the road it would catch the screw holding the plastic arch liner in, nothing major sounded worse than it was.

Eibach sportlines for me too... Fixed the bouncy issues, looks good and improved cornering.

Reactions: AL_B and Rob2k68
No-one to my knowledge I think they're quite new to the market. They've also just released an upgraded Intercooler.

Reactions: AL_B