lowering suspension question

SlapNutz

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I had a look through my codes and it turns out i have 1BE suspension on my 2015 A7 tdi

Has anyone used other forms of springs to lower and if so which ones and what measurements.

If im correct the 1BE is 20mm lower than standard and 1BV is 30mm?

what about h&r compared to 1BE, how much more drop would they give over them and is it worth it or is there another better option.

I hear people saying not to go coil overs and to stick with original suspensions and just change springs?

Even with 20's and 275/35/20 I feel the car sits a little high

Suggestions and pics pls?

Regards
Slapz

Im guessing the stock -20 code is sline and -30 code is black edition and thats the difference from se model heights.
My previous post has my wheel and tyre details and pics h&r springs on standard shocks before the springs settled another touch.

In my biased opinion Any lower and damage is going to be done too easily.

Best of both worlds which i was toying with is an aftermarket airbag system. Get it bagged

Then i opted for the simplicity and cheapness of a tried and tested spring kit lol

• Haha
Reactions: SlapNutz
What kind of further drop are you looking for?

Damian @ DPM Performance
Hi thank you for asking. Well this is what my current stance looks like. What can be done by keeping things simple like springs only kinda avenue? Rather than a complete coil over kit unless it’s not too expensive and will make a difference all round then sure. But if it’s going to cost in the range of a complete air suspension setup then I will pass. I’m sure you catch my drift. Based on my 1BE If I can get maybe an inch drop more than where I am or maybe a little under then that should be good?

regards
Slapz

Attachments

• 8A571DEA-BB6C-49AD-ABEE-5315F5121FD3.jpeg
    8A571DEA-BB6C-49AD-ABEE-5315F5121FD3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 147
  • 364019FE-63AB-4FDE-9365-BA0DB0EDC489.jpeg
    364019FE-63AB-4FDE-9365-BA0DB0EDC489.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 157
H&R list a 20mm which wouldn't really do a great deal with you having S-line suspension but they also have and adjustable set offering a 30-50mm lowering so a lot more significant on the S-line. Eibach do a 30mm/25mm kit so again not a great deal on top of the S-line.

Damian @ DPM Performance

H&R list a 20mm which wouldn't really do a great deal with you having S-line suspension but they also have and adjustable set offering a 30-50mm lowering so a lot more significant on the S-line. Eibach do a 30mm/25mm kit so again not a great deal on top of the S-line.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Hi thank you for the info. I came across these that fit my Audi and offer 35mm all round but not adjustable. With these I should get another 15mm which is about half an inch I beleive. Not much I know.

Regards
Slapz

Reactions: Bishop187
Show us when you install them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its any help
heres my H & R springs part number with them fitted and settled with a perspective around other cars , i took the pictures whilst walking back to my car from morrisons so quality a bit shakey.

H&R lowering springs 28917-3 for Audi A6 LimSedan A7 35/35mm

from standard s line suspension , with 20 inch wheels and tyre combo that is the same outside rolling diameter ( within 1 percent) to the standard 19 inch wheel and tyre combo that was listed on my car so the spare in the boot is still compatible

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_111647926.jpg
    IMG_20210905_111647926.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20210905_111659071_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210905_111659071_HDR.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20210905_111703886_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210905_111703886_HDR.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 166
If its any help
heres my H & R springs part number with them fitted and settled with a perspective around other cars , i took the pictures whilst walking back to my car from morrisons so quality a bit shakey.

H&R lowering springs 28917-3 for Audi A6 LimSedan A7 35/35mm

from standard s line suspension , with 20 inch wheels and tyre combo that is the same outside rolling diameter ( within 1 percent) to the standard 19 inch wheel and tyre combo that was listed on my car so the spare in the boot is still compatible
Is it possible to take a pic at a level from the side of whole car please that would be great. Thx so much

regards
Slapz

go on you know you want them
mines the same part number and from germany as the ones you found
your link has a good price mines were £210 when i bought them

Incase you are thinking of fitting the springs yourself and are unaware , you may need to look into a pair of internal spring compressors for the rear, there is obviously a vw special tool at a premium price but i got an amazon set at about a tenner and ran an extra nut onto threaded bar for safety incase the cast threads in the hook stripped , it was a fight to do the rears but manageable

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_140736189_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210905_140736189_HDR.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 178
Not ideal on the street right now at a slight angle but here you go

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_141845190.jpg
    IMG_20210905_141845190.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20210905_141841617.jpg
    IMG_20210905_141841617.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20210905_141834969.jpg
    IMG_20210905_141834969.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 225
Not ideal on the street right now at a slight angle but here you go
Thank you so much, the front drops quite a bit more compared to the back or is that just the angle? i would prefer my arches to sit just flush of the tyre.

what's your tyre size?

Mines 275/35/20

Regards

Fronts look bout perfect

I was moving my tools last week and it dropped the back of mine to the perfect height. But can’t be drinking with a boot full of tool lol

Reactions: +robster+a7+tdi and SlapNutz
Ill take a better picture side on in the flat when im out later. Im on the kerb here i suppose.
You can get variations like 20/35 front/ back drop ive seen backs looking to low and preferred dropping the same height front/back .so my camber and caster did not shift dramatically . Ive not had a 4 wheel alignment as its not eating tyres and runs straight and smooth.

Coil overs are infinitely adjustable to your needs and not mega expensive if you are wanting a specific setup or stance. But again may need steering geometry done each time you adjust

This a7 has got the stance you want.
He’s running
H&R Suspension H&R Springs Sport Spring Kit
28917-4

The ones you posted earlier are 28917-3

Anyone know the difference?

• Love
The front back difference i looked at that one hes one inch front and 1.25 rear with mad crazy stretched tyres un drivable where i stay

Last edited:
Here we go now in line with the door shut and just under handle height from about 18 feet away.
On the flat

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_182604092_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210905_182604092_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20210905_182559939_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210905_182559939_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 195
Reactions: SlapNutz and Bishop187
This is how mine sits.

I have the 35mm H&R springs, standard shocks. 255/35/20 tires. It rides lovely, I cannot go any lower on the front as it just touches every time I reverse onto my drive.

IMG 7109

Reactions: SlapNutz, +robster+a7+tdi and Bishop187

This a7 has got the stance you want.
He’s running
H&R Suspension H&R Springs Sport Spring Kit
28917-4

The ones you posted earlier are 28917-3

Anyone know the difference?

Hi Guys

Apologies I have been away on a project with literally 3 to 5 hours sleep a night for 3 weeks, got some time today. I see the thread has grown quite abit and looking good. with other pictures posted the H&R look promising.

@Bishop187 thank you for the above post i will look into it as that's exactly what i'm looking for. going over to have a good read.

Hope you guys are doing well? do we have meets and so on happen on this forum?

Regards
Slapz

I remember watching this one and they rolled the arches in the body shop to stop it catching!

Yes they did. But I think that was because of the wider Bentley wheels. I have to re watch the vid on YouTube

Update gentlemen

I managed to do further research and picked up a set of H&R 28917-4 which are 35/35 for £163 shipped directly from germany H&R.
Now thinking whether to install them myself or get someone to do them? I believe I can do them as its a simple process just need correct socket sets and spring compressor.

Lets see

Pics coming soon

Regards
Slapz

Reactions: Eric_RS6 and Bishop187
Update gentlemen

I managed to do further research and picked up a set of H&R 28917-4 which are 35/35 for £163 shipped directly from germany H&R.
Now thinking whether to install them myself or get someone to do them? I believe I can do them as its a simple process just need correct socket sets and spring compressor.

Lets see

Pics coming soon

Regards
Slapz

Nice, that a great price. Do you have a link for the springs.

Update gentlemen

Lets see

Pics coming soon

Regards
Slapz
This is what I have fitted to mine and they are a decent drop and ride.
Pic with 15mm spacers and 255/40/20.
Thumbnail image0

This is what I have fitted to mine and they are a decent drop and ride.
Pic with 15mm spacers and 255/40/20.
View attachment 251327
Are those the H&R 35/35? that looks spot on with an equal balance front and back. Looks very nice,

Mine are 275/35/20 not sure what spacers I will be needing, I was opting for 20mm but looking at you 255 with 15mm, my 275 with 20mm will most likely cause issues

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric_RS6
Nice, that a great price. Do you have a link for the springs.

i can pm you link or shall i just post it out in the open as they only have 2 sets left, how does one PM someone?

Are those the H&R 35/35? that looks spot on with an equal balance front and back. Looks very nice,

Mine are 275/35/20 not sure what spacers I will be needing, I was opting for 20mm but looking at you 255 with 15mm, my 275 with 20mm will most likely cause issues
I usually run 255/35/20 on my Bentley wheels, but these Peelers have a 40 profile. I Think they are 15mm all round, I have different sets of spacers for both sets of wheels so I forget sometimes!! Wait till you are lowered and then measure up for spacers mate.

This is how it sits on the Bentleys.
Thumbnail image1

Reactions: SlapNutz and Bishop187
Just found them on auto-doc app for £166, plus free 200 day return.

6fe75fff1e148047c2ccdf9b00c2ac93.jpg

I usually run 255/35/20 on my Bentley wheels, but these Peelers have a 40 profile. I Think they are 15mm all round, I have different sets of spacers for both sets of wheels so I forget sometimes!! Wait till you are lowered and then measure up for spacers mate.

This is how it sits on the Bentleys.
View attachment 251353

How’s the ride, compared to standard

How’s the ride, compared to standard

Fine if I am honest. I came from a hot hatch on £1200 Eibach coilovers which were set stiff so I'm not sure if its a bit of a bad comparison to the A7. Personally I think they're fine, never had a complaint from wife, kids or old parents! Still very comfortable over a long distance etc.

Reactions: Bishop187 and SlapNutz
Hopefully not hijacking this thread but ... if i wanted to have my geo, steering and suspension checked where would y'all recommend? Am based in south east UK but am prepared to travel for the right service ;)

Update

Started at around 11 and was done at 4pm as it started to get abit chilly, managed to change front left spring. had a night mare trying to get the bolt out where the 2 ball joints things sit in the arm of the wheel so had to go an alternative route, took for ever, but hopefully tomorrow the other side should be a breeze and will try to get the rear 2 done same time. will post pics once done

Regards
Slapz

Now that you've lowered it I'd recommend getting a full geometry alignment. Something that 99% of people overlook when changing suspension components from stock.

Now that you've lowered it I'd recommend getting a full geometry alignment. Something that 99% of people overlook when changing suspension components from stock.
oh yes definitely, I was told wait a week or so let everything settle and then get it done rather than straight away? just getting up having some tea and then off out to do the remaining 3.

gosh my body hurts from yesterday.

Regards
Slapz

UPDATE

right gentlemen all 4 springs changed.

The first one aka front left took about 4 to 5 hours as there was a lot of faffing around, I was done for the day after that one.
The 2nd front right one literally took 45 mins tops which left me ample time today to do the rear 2.

The car is looking Niiiice. perfect drop. ordering 20mm spacers to go all round tonight they should be on, on tuesday.

total cost
35/35mm over 1BE H&R springs £163
spacer set of 4 with wheel nuts and locking nuts £83

Pictures coming on Tuesday hopefully with spacers installed and a wash, as the car is still basking the the Saharan sand rain we had.

I have a clean set of 1BE springs if anyone wants from a 2015 Sline A7, make offer.

Regards
Slapz