Lunched Engine: What to do?

Catalyst82

Reaction score
Hi All,

My wife's 59 1.8 A3 has had a major mechanical failure.

It started with a rattle that kicked in around 2k rpm and stopped at around 2.5k. I assumed this was an exhaust issue which was resonating at certain revs. It appears not.

She started the car Saturday morning, it fired up, went crunch and stopped. It would then turn over but not start. We called out the recovery service, the guy tried starting it and said "that is not good", checked the oil and found metal fragments in it! He suspects a timing issue.

Anyone else recognise this? Is it cam shaft/valve/spring failure? Has the belt/chain gone? The car wasn't suffering any performance issues before hand.

Anyway, we're left with two options. Take it to an Inde and hope they can repair it more economically or take it to the Audi main dealer and hope for a good will gesture. The car was bought 2nd hand from Audi in 2013 with a FASH and only has 45k miles on it.

What would your course of action be?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

What has the history been like in the last 2 years, when was the belt changed?

What has the history been like in the last 2 years, when was the belt changed?

We've only had the car since Aug 2013. It's had one service since then (at Audi) and has just indicated the next is due in 800 miles.

Are these engines belt or chain? I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Regardless, it's not been changed, I wouldn't expect it to have been given the age/mileage.

Pretty sure its a belt drive, if its only done 45k miles then its a little early that's for sure

I'd go to Audi first and see what they say, even an Indy garage is going to be an expensive rebuild.

Hi All,

My wife's 59 1.8 A3 has had a major mechanical failure.

It started with a rattle that kicked in around 2k rpm and stopped at around 2.5k. I assumed this was an exhaust issue which was resonating at certain revs. It appears not.

She started the car Saturday morning, it fired up, went crunch and stopped. It would then turn over but not start. We called out the recovery service, the guy tried starting it and said "that is not good", checked the oil and found metal fragments in it! He suspects a timing issue.

Anyone else recognise this? Is it cam shaft/valve/spring failure? Has the belt/chain gone? The car wasn't suffering any performance issues before hand.

Anyway, we're left with two options. Take it to an Inde and hope they can repair it more economically or take it to the Audi main dealer and hope for a good will gesture. The car was bought 2nd hand from Audi in 2013 with a FASH and only has 45k miles on it.

What would your course of action be?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Hi Catalyst82.
Cut a long story short read my post on "Is my engine toast"
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/is-my-engine-toast.253408/
Hope this helps a bit..

Back to the dealer for sure. It's got FASH which will be a plus. You don't say when the service post 2013 was. Check the receipt if you still have this as I think Audi recommend changing the timing belt at 60k or 5 years whichever occurs sooner. Depending on when it was registered your 59 plate will either be due shortly or just overdue. If the latter this might have been flagged at the last service depending on when it was. Read the thread above and don't let Audi shirk their responsibility. Hopefully you've got a decent dealer. Ask to speak to the service manager for the branch and tell them you're not happy that your Audi has suffered a major mechanical failure when you've had it serviced (by Audi) at the relevant intervals. Keep things firm but, polite. Advise the dealer that if you are not satisfied with what (if anything) is offered that you will be contacting Audi Customer Service in the UK directly (this is just to advise the dealer that you're serious and will take it further if necessary.

Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: pburv
Back to the dealer for sure. It's got FASH which will be a plus. You don't say when the service post 2013 was. Check the receipt if you still have this as I think Audi recommend changing the timing belt at 60k or 5 years whichever occurs sooner. Depending on when it was registered your 59 plate will either be due shortly or just overdue. If the latter this might have been flagged at the last service depending on when it was. Read the thread above and don't let Audi shirk their responsibility. Hopefully you've got a decent dealer. Ask to speak to the service manager for the branch and tell them you're not happy that your Audi has suffered a major mechanical failure when you've had it serviced (by Audi) at the relevant intervals. Keep things firm but, polite. Advise the dealer that if you are not satisfied with what (if anything) is offered that you will be contacting Audi Customer Service in the UK directly (this is just to advise the dealer that you're serious and will take it further if necessary.

Fingers crossed for you.

The car was last serviced Sep14. There's no interval for the toothed belt on the petrol engines in the service book as I believe they all use chains?

The car is being collected today and is going to Amersham Audi. I hope they can help us out. I've had great dealings with Reading Audi but they were unable to guarantee a space in the workshop until the end of the month.

Thanks for the advice, I'll wait to hear their diagnosis and plan of action, then go from there.

I'll keep you posted.

Hi Catalyst82.
Cut a long story short read my post on "Is my engine toast"
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/is-my-engine-toast.253408/
Hope this helps a bit..

Hey,

Thanks for that. Sounds like I may be able to achieve something with Audi. I'm really surprised to read about timing chains going. I thothe whole idea of them was increased reliability?

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv
I'm presuming this is a 1.8FTSI.

In which case, it has a timing chain FYI.

Did it have an oil consumption issue out of intrest?

I'm presuming this is a 1.8FTSI.

In which case, it has a timing chain FYI.

Did it have an oil consumption issue out of intrest?

Yes it is, and of course it did. It's an Audi :grinning:

Heard back from the dealer yesterday. The tensioner has failed causing the chain the skip and this has bent the valves and damaged the piston heads. Looking like an engine replacement but will get the full report around 10:00 after the technician has finished stripping it down.

I would like to think that Audi would cough up on this one. 45k is pretty early to be having this issue !!!!

Depending on how much oil it was using, it was maybe heading for re-build anyway. My 1.8tfsi got rebuilt care of audi uk, new pistons rings and rods!!!!

So, it's a new engine. A rebuild was considered uneconomical.

Cost? £5850.

They've raised a case with Audi UK, I should hear back on Monday.

Reactions: pluves1
im sure a rebuild would be a damn sight cheaper than £5850 . if no joy then try your own insurance company , they may pay for it . or even write it off as uneconomical to repair . failing that a good second hand engine and a new chain and tensioner fitting before it goes int he car would be cheaper

Sorry, but car insurance companies don't cover mechanical faults. I presume you mean car warranty?

Anyhow, as for the cost of a rebuilt, but i'm guessing your dealer is charging £115/hr. Probably books at something like 17.5 hrs of labour. Add to that new parts ( possibly 16x valves, seats, seals, followers) 4x pistons, full bolt set, all seals, shells, and gaskets. Chain, tensioners....checks on turbo etc for chunks of metal that have been chipped off and spat out.....

Then add on machining costs, minimum of a head skim, change 16x valve seats/ seals/valves, possibly a block hone........

At this point, a new factory unit looks like a good option.