M.o.t Woes!!!

Andy9

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you all are well, took the car for an Mot today and guess what it failed!!!, Just another good day !!, the front Subframe has excessive corrosion and need replacing, I'm looking for a replacement but struggling to find one, are all B6 front subframes the same ?, I can get a b6 2.5L non-quattro subframe locally, would this fit ?, I have contacted Leicester Audi but they would not help me and were totally useless and said I needed the Subframe part number and I could only fit like for like ? , My car is a 2004 A4 b6 1.9tdi quattro, 191,000 mls and usually going strong, I usually do all the spanner work myself but wonder if I would be better just letting the garage do it this time and is it a struggle of a job to do ?, Any help will be gratefully received as always,
Cheers, andy

Last edited:
A B7 one will fit, you have exactly the same car as me and I replaced mine with one from a B7
There’s one on eblag for £75

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, I was a bit shot down in flames the other day when it failed having passed the previous 4 years but there you go,what is it with these Audi's and corrosion !!, I had painted some of the chassis and subframe underneath to protect it but the subfram e just went into a hole around the mounting bolts when proded with a screwdriver, I have managed to source one online but only just and it is from a b7, apparently it has to be like for like, I was a bit sceptical fitting a b6 subframe with a different engine size, just hope the one I'm getting is gonna fit, the place assures me it has come from a 1.9 Quattro, did you replace yours yourself and if so are there any problems to overcome ?,
I always do my own repairs but I'm just thinking this could be a bit of a struggle on the floor in the garage with stands and jacks, I also have nothing to support the engine from the top, just thought it might be better to get this one done at the mot garage

You're moaning about Audi corrosion???
Your car has to be a minimum of 16 years old. Don't you think it's done pretty well at that age?

Get a garage to do the job, i did as i know the guys in the place i use well, took about half a day, it's not something you want to try lying on your back,

Sorry for having a moan about the rust, yes its done well considering it has 191, 000 mls on the clock but I have to say comparing all the corrosion issues I've had on the car, wings, drivers door, rear n/s inner wheel arch and now subframe I never expected a prestige car to behave like this, I still have my 1996 b5 which I have owned for 21 yrs now and there is no corrosion whatsoever and is a totally solid and immaculate car, I love the b6 but never expected excessive corrosion problems like this. Good ones and bad ones i suppose, just unlucky with the b6.

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper
Thanks for your help, I was a bit shot down in flames the other day when it failed having passed the previous 4 years but there you go,what is it with these Audi's and corrosion !!, I had painted some of the chassis and subframe underneath to protect it but the subfram e just went into a hole around the mounting bolts when proded with a screwdriver, I have managed to source one online but only just and it is from a b7, apparently it has to be like for like, I was a bit sceptical fitting a b6 subframe with a different engine size, just hope the one I'm getting is gonna fit, the place assures me it has come from a 1.9 Quattro, did you replace yours yourself and if so are there any problems to overcome ?,
I always do my own repairs but I'm just thinking this could be a bit of a struggle on the floor in the garage with stands and jacks, I also have nothing to support the engine from the top, just thought it might be better to get this one done at the mot garage
Did you by any chance paint it with an undersealing or rubberised product? If there was a trace of rust when the coating was applied or moisture got under the coating afterwards it accelerates rust massively.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Did you by any chance paint it with an undersealing or rubberised product? If there was a trace of rust when the coating was applied or moisture got under the coating afterwards it accelerates rust massively.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Waxoyl etc is supposed to kill rust when its applied, not accelerate the formation.

The Front subframe has been replaced now with a later subframe from a b7, on inspection the whole subframe didn't look very good with corrosion all over it and with a hole near the gearbox mount end, I had painted parts of it that I could get to in the past but didn't realise it was in such a state, I think this being due to the service undertray missing when I bought the car and the rear undertray missing that covers the gearbox area that would protect the subframe area, on the whole I'm glad it's been replaced, the garage said it was a pig of a job as a few of the bolts were corroded and very tight, I was gonna do it myself but glad I left this one to the garage!!.

Reactions: Asahi and HelenB
Interesting, I've just put an undertray back on mine which thankfully hasn't been missing long - if nothing else to protect the parts in the engine bay, but it will keep the dirt, worst of the heavy rain, salt in winter etc off the underside! Are you reinstating the trays now to keep it in good condition?

Personally I think having the undertrays on will make corrosion worse, they just trap moisture in. Without them on airflow should dry the underparts out.
Not having them also makes servicing a lot easier, it's why I've binned mine a long time ago.

Both my b5 and b6 both cars had the undertray missing when I purchased the cars and I have replaced both, I think these do help to shield the underneath from the worst of the weather although I do agree with pie-eyedpiper that they are a bit of a pain come service time.

Got fed up with my underpants , i mean undertray falling down and making skids down the road - car now going commando

Upgraded itself :playful: personally with Andy on this one; mine also went and the 'bay became a right state plus (despite better airflow) it had less aero, could have all been in my mind but felt quicker and got better mileage with a tray.

The Front subframe has been replaced now with a later subframe from a b7, on inspection the whole subframe didn't look very good with corrosion all over it and with a hole near the gearbox mount end, I had painted parts of it that I could get to in the past but didn't realise it was in such a state, I think this being due to the service undertray missing when I bought the car and the rear undertray missing that covers the gearbox area that would protect the subframe area, on the whole I'm glad it's been replaced, the garage said it was a pig of a job as a few of the bolts were corroded and very tight, I was gonna do it myself but glad I left this one to the garage!!.
How much did the garage charge to change the front subframe please? Mine has just failed and considering myself but after reading this I’m having second thoughts...

Upgraded itself :playful: personally with Andy on this one; mine also went and the 'bay became a right state plus (despite better airflow) it had less aero, could have all been in my mind but felt quicker and got better mileage with a tray.

At our speeds I doubt you could tell any difference. It's not like it's Formula 1 or a Touring car.

At our speeds I doubt you could tell any difference. It's not like it's Formula 1 or a Touring car.

Ah yes but mine was always a race car in my mind haha, little changes added up until purchasing a considerably faster fully stock car which then makes you question decisions on small changes but regardless the MPG gauge certainly read better with the tray on if that's enough to go by.