M140i vs S4

Chris S 1245

Reaction score
Had a few roll Runs on A Private road with a friends m140i which has been tuned and he kept pulling away from me didn’t expect it to be such a big gap. The S4 is no slouch but the 140i made it look slow that day.

Tuned car vs standard though and a 140 must be pretty light too certainly vs a S4?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris S 1245
Tuned car vs standard though and a 140 must be pretty light too certainly vs a S4?

TX.

Yes mines standard but wasn’t expecting such a big difference I thought I’d be able to keep up .

Yes mines standard but wasn’t expecting such a big difference I thought I’d be able to keep up .
S4 is 350hp though and a standard 140 must be near that. Throw in lighter modded car and I'm not surprised tbh.

TX.

Reactions: tickedon
S4 is 350hp though and a standard 140 must be near that. Throw in lighter modded car and I'm not surprised tbh.

TX.

Yes they certainly are underestimated cars I think they would give your Rs4 a good run for it’s money If they are tuned ;). Seriously quick cars .

Reactions: Terminator x
I used to own an M135 and M235 and they were certainly as quick as my S4....on a dry, flat piece of road. The M140 has more power and low down torque so when tuned would be pushing 400bhp

Yes they certainly are underestimated cars I think they would give your Rs4 a good run for it’s money If they are tuned ;). Seriously quick cars .
Ha ha no doubt! The RS4 does have over 500ft of torque though so perhaps I'd have him at the lights, initially anyway ;)

TX.

Reactions: tickedon
Standard v standard the m140 is also quicker, my brother has a 16plate and I have a 68 plate s4, not a huge amount in it but it does pull away, there is only 15bhp between them and the s4 is just to heavy

Reactions: Terminator x
I can imagine with laugh control that the S4 would be slightly quicker to 60mph. But the m140 would start to pull it in and over take. It doesn’t have awd so more power to the wheels and also the 80kg difference.

Reactions: NevMan
‘Laugh control’ sounds fun ;-) lol

Reactions: tickedon, jdp1962, Terminator x and 1 other person
Not the best comparison but I've had a rolling and drag race with a friends m140i n it launched better off the line than mine and stayed ahead by just a car length. I didn't use launch control however just floored it off the lights. It didn't keep pulling away and the gap stayed the same.

On a roll we were a lot more evenly matched.

Not so good in wet

Reactions: A12RNX
‘Laugh control’ sounds fun ;-) lol

It is when you smoke them off the line laughing all the way until the finishline, will be interesting when they bring out the m340i as that is really the S4 competition. One thing that annoys me about Audi is not allowing us to easlily tune them like the bmw.

Reactions: Terminator x, NevMan and Gary_LB
An M140 with a JB4 fitted is a rocket. But as we know speed isnt everything! I picked a Golf R over a M135 and never regretted it

Haha love that explanation!

The M340i be an interesting car indeed and BMW need it to be good. I’m looking forward driving it when available however I’m coming to the conclusion that although I’m happy with my S4 I do not need such a large car so will be going for an M2 Competition when the prices get a little more realistic

Reactions: NevMan and A12RNX
Tosh. I owned a m135 for 2 years before switching to the s4

In anything but bone dry roads the s4 is the quicker vehicle I understand the m140 is slightly more powerful.

A stock quantro s4 will be quicker on our usual roads

I could not floor the m135 without the rear wheels spinning.

Tosh. I owned a m135 for 2 years before switching to the s4

In anything but bone dry roads the s4 is the quicker vehicle I understand the m140 is slightly more powerful.

A stock quantro s4 will be quicker on our usual roads

I could not floor the m135 without the rear wheels spinning.
Agreed - a 400bhp+ M140 is not deployable unless on a bone dry road

It is when you smoke them off the line laughing all the way until the finishline, will be interesting when they bring out the m340i as that is really the S4 competition. One thing that annoys me about Audi is not allowing us to easlily tune them like the bmw.

M340i is going to be serious competition for Audi

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Gary_LB
An M140 with a JB4 fitted is a rocket. But as we know speed isnt everything! I picked a Golf R over a M135 and never regretted it

But with switchable 4x4 BMW will be different proposition

It will be, especially with AWD and improvements to the interior. Having looked at pics of the interior the S4 still looks better IMO

The front grills of th M340i look horrendous though!!!

But with switchable 4x4 BMW will be different proposition

I know they do the switchable tech but didn’t think it was going into the m340i. Also I saw that you can choose between 4wd and rear wheel drive in The new M3 and M4’s but not switchable.

I know they do the switchable tech but didn’t think it was going into the m340i. Also I saw that you can choose between 4wd and rear wheel drive in The new M3 and M4’s but not switchable.

You are right, confused with new M3/M4, but xdrive

M140i and M240i are RWD

M2, M3 and M4 are also RWD

Only the M5 has the switchable 4wd system

Upcoming M340i will be 4wd, but not confirmed it is switchable. There is no confirmed info yet on the future M3 and M4

Talks about new M3/M4 and 4x4 option, also mentions switchable from M5 “trickling down” to M3/M4 whatever that means

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/next-bmw-m3-will-come-4wd-option

"Rumours suggest that the next M3 and M4, launched later this year, will be available in both rear-wheel drive and 4WD versions"

Like I said...nothing confirmed yet for 4wd for next genM3/M4.

What does seem to be clear is that the next generation M3/M4 will have a 500hp twin turbo inline-six cylinder engine. The new engine has just debuted in the new X3M and X4m which will be Competition Pack spec only in the UK (which incidentally, doesn't come with a switchable 4wd system, so it is not a dead cert either for any M3/M4)

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-bmw-x3m-and-x4m-get-503bhp-competition-version

M140i is the performance bargain of the decade, in the UK they consistently dyno over 360bhp bone stock! With a piggy back 400bhp is easily done (420 with a down pipe) Then a full ECU remap takes them to 440-450.

The B58 motor is a gem, I guess that's why even the tuners favourite Toyota Supra has a closed deck B58 from BMW now.

The S4 needs a piggy back box to see off a stock one. A tuned one of any description just needs the weather to turn soggy...

"Rumours suggest that the next M3 and M4, launched later this year, will be available in both rear-wheel drive and 4WD versions"

Like I said...nothing confirmed yet for 4wd for next genM3/M4.

What does seem to be clear is that the next generation M3/M4 will have a 500hp twin turbo inline-six cylinder engine. The new engine has just debuted in the new X3M and X4m which will be Competition Pack spec only in the UK (which incidentally, doesn't come with a switchable 4wd system, so it is not a dead cert either for any M3/M4)

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-bmw-x3m-and-x4m-get-503bhp-competition-version

Can’t see why the M3/M4 won’t have 4wd, given the new M5 does, but as you point out...speculation like most stuff in here

Maybe try a DTUK on the B9S4 then.........

I've a DTUK piggy, transmission tune and Milltek sport cat downpipe (S4 saloon).

This combo will convincingly walk off from a stock M140i (pulls a stock B9 RS4 also to be fair)

Same mods on the M-lite in the dry, the S4 isn't going to get a look in past 3rd gear.

In the wet the S4 dominates, obviously.

the b58 low down grunt is amazing improved over the n55 the b58 reacts very well to a simple tuning box jb4

I've a DTUK piggy, transmission tune and Milltek sport cat downpipe (S4 saloon).

This combo will convincingly walk off from a stock M140i (pulls a stock B9 RS4 also to be fair)

Same mods on the M-lite in the dry, the S4 isn't going to get a look in past 3rd gear.

In the wet the S4 dominates, obviously.

Awd is only good in the wet once the bmw gets going being lighter and rwd means it loses less bhp to the wheels. But really should we be comparing a hot hatch to a saloon? Also would love to see what figures yours pulls on the dyno @Boosted_Six

Awd is only good in the wet once the bmw gets going being lighter and rwd means it loses less bhp to the wheels. But really should we be comparing a hot hatch to a saloon? Also would love to see what figures yours pulls on the dyno @Boosted_Six

I will get it on a Dyno one of these days...

In the mean time my highly sensitive left butt cheek says 428.9 bhp.

Reactions: A12RNX and Terminator x
I will get it on a Dyno one of these days...

In the mean time my highly sensitive left butt cheek says 428.9 bhp.
Out of interest what setting do you have your dtuk box set at? Had mine on dynamic but after 4 months it threw an error up on the dash twice in a week, plugged the blank it for about 3 weeks with no errors at all, turned it back on yesterday and gone down to sport instead

Out of interest what setting do you have your dtuk box set at? Had mine on dynamic but after 4 months it threw an error up on the dash twice in a week, plugged the blank it for about 3 weeks with no errors at all, turned it back on yesterday and gone down to sport instead

Did you speak to DTUK about this - @ABYSS

The M140i Dynos At 430 Bhp that I lost too. Serious sleeper car No mods done to the external look.

I'm pretty sure in the latest issue of evo there is a page with the headline being M3/4 going AWD. Will be switchable, much like the M5 is today. I'd expect the M340i to be AWD with no switchability much like the S4, and also gives another differentiator for the step into the proper M cars.

Did you speak to DTUK about this - @ABYSS
Yes spoke on the phone, told me to plug the blank in and see how I get on, did this for a few weeks and didn't get the error so going to try again on the medium setting and see if it reaccours

I'm pretty sure in the latest issue of evo there is a page with the headline being M3/4 going AWD. Will be switchable, much like the M5 is today. I'd expect the M340i to be AWD with no switchability much like the S4, and also gives another differentiator for the step into the proper M cars.

I have read similar to that

Reactions: RB84