Machine Polish and a Ceramic Coating - Shall I get some shots?

Mac5008PS3

Reaction score
Hi there, on the 18th of this month I have a machine polish booked followed by a Ceramic coating.

The car is a Black 2008 S3.

The paintwork is currently in quite poor condition having been car washed to the death of a million swirls.

I'm just wondering if this process is something you guys might like to witness as it goes through it's various stages and maybe comment on its before and after and tell me if Tim approve or not?

Please let me know if there is anything you would like to see during the processes and I will ask the detailers if they can accommodate the requests.

I personally am completely new to this and have never had this done by a professional outfit as a few of my previous cars can testify too....

Just a thought guys......

Wouldn’t hurt to see how yours gets on

Where are you getting it done?

What coating are you going for?

I’m lining up a new car detail plus coating for my new rs3 when it finally arrives… so seeing yours get the works done will help pass the time

Wouldn’t hurt to see how yours gets on

Where are you getting it done?

What coating are you going for?

I’m lining up a new car detail plus coating for my new rs3 when it finally arrives… so seeing yours get the works done will help pass the time
Hi there,

In this case then I shall get the camera out and do some before and after shots!

I shall be getting it done at my house by a mobile company called M1 Detailing. They are literally booked up for 6 to 8 weeks in advance so are busy boys. They will be doing a stage one paint rectification followed by a machine polish then coating in GTechniq Crystal Serum.

And I hope the results help to keep you occupied for a moment :)

Reactions: Keano04, NevMan and -Ju-
Hi there,

In this case then I shall get the camera out and do some before and after shots!

I shall be getting it done at my house by a mobile company called M1 Detailing. They are literally booked up for 6 to 8 weeks in advance so are busy boys. They will be doing a stage one paint rectification followed by a machine polish then coating in GTechniq Crystal Serum.

I have the gtechniq crystal on mine followed by the Exo coating . Looks great and so easy to look after.
When it's all polished up it'll look great.
I really enjoyed my 8P S3 days, they do respond really well to tuning

Reactions: Mac5008PS3 and NevMan
I have the gtechniq crystal on mine followed by the Exo coating . Looks great and so easy to look after.
Might I ask what performance upgrades you made to yours? Also, is the block, pistons, rods, crank and shell bearings, head and gasket all capable of as much as 500BHP of power going through them before forging, strengthening and upgrading of gaskets? I only ask as I have read several bits and pieces that all allude to this.......

I had and APR stage 2+ map on mine with supporting mods

Milltek TBE
Revo carbon intake
APR fuel pump

On the suspension side I had

KW clubsport coilovers
H&R front and rear arbs
Whiteline anti lift kit

Performance wise that takes you to about 365bhp which is plenty quick enough and handled really well.

Mine was an stronic on a 59 plate.
You will need a clutch on anything other than a stage 1 with a manual
I can't really comment on the internals other than I've heard they are good for 500bhp but I would never be brave enough to try that lol

Reactions: Mac5008PS3
I had and APR stage 2+ map on mine with supporting mods

Milltek TBE
Revo carbon intake
APR fuel pump

On the suspension side I had

KW clubsport coilovers
H&R front and rear arbs
Whiteline anti lift kit

Performance wise that takes you to about 365bhp which is plenty quick enough and handled really well.

Mine was an stronic on a 59 plate.
You will need a clutch on anything other than a stage 1 with a manual
I can't really comment on the internals other than I've heard they are good for 500bhp but I would never be brave enough to try that lol
I hear the bravery concerns as I too would struggle to push that far....!

I have virtually the same thing planned but with no anti lift, no ARB changes and with VWR Suspension and springs being its only handling consideration in order to be a bit more pliable (I'm old, get over it!!)) Exhaust will be a Cobra sports cat resonated system at present but I can have my head turned....
I will probably go to Revo for the HPFP but I can have my.........
I shall also change out the discs and pads and refurbish the callipers whilst adding some braided hoses - to be fair these are for aesthetics as I can get them colour coded which has to look good right? ;-)
As for under the bonnet, I have had the runner flaps deleted using aluminium blanks and before that was done, we decided to clean the inlet side as the valves were so badly coked it was a wonder anything moved freely in that head! Because of that, I imagine one of the first things I shall do is to get a Forge Oil Catch system fitted......
Clutch wise, I have discussed this with my mechanic (JG Motorsport in Wantage) and he recommends that we do it when we prove it can no longer handle what power we are generating which is something I like the sound of - a company not looking for work even though we both know that regardless of this sentiment, we can both already feel the slips from this far back from the future!!

BTW what intercooler did you go for? I am considering Forge, REVO and Wagner.

Sorry to be a windbag....

Reactions: -Ju-
I hear the bravery concerns as I too would struggle to push that far....!

I have virtually the same thing planned but with no anti lift, no ARB changes and with VWR Suspension and springs being its only handling consideration in order to be a bit more pliable (I'm old, get over it!!)) Exhaust will be a Cobra sports cat resonated system at present but I can have my head turned....
I will probably go to Revo for the HPFP but I can have my.........
I shall also change out the discs and pads and refurbish the callipers whilst adding some braided hoses - to be fair these are for aesthetics as I can get them colour coded which has to look good right? ;-)
As for under the bonnet, I have had the runner flaps deleted using aluminium blanks and before that was done, we decided to clean the inlet side as the valves were so badly coked it was a wonder anything moved freely in that head! Because of that, I imagine one of the first things I shall do is to get a Forge Oil Catch system fitted......
Clutch wise, I have discussed this with my mechanic (JG Motorsport in Wantage) and he recommends that we do it when we prove it can no longer handle what power we are generating which is something I like the sound of - a company not looking for work even though we both know that regardless of this sentiment, we can both already feel the slips from this far back from the future!!

BTW what intercooler did you go for? I am considering Forge, REVO and Wagner.

Sorry to be a windbag....
I didn't change the intercooler, it was on the list but never happened and tbh I never felt it needed it.
The power upgrades are largely immaterial most of the time on today's roads but it was a very enjoyable car and probably more fun than the 8V S3 I owned afterwards
I'll always have a soft spot for the 8P and would own one again as a play thing but I'm the wrong side of 50 now and don't have the enthusiasm to lay upside down on the drive anymore lol

What did you use for cleaning after the coating?

Hi there,

Nice one. Looking forward to seeing that.

I’m looking to get crystal serum ultra plus exo on mine.

Also going to do the wheels with C5 too as I’ve done my own wheels with that in the past and it lasts pretty well

I use the gtechniq G wash although I think you'd be safe with most car washes as long as its not washing up liquid lol