Magnetic Sump plug

RobMorris

Reaction score
Chaps

Does anyone know if the standard B6 A4 has a magnetic sump plug?
If not where to get one and are they recommended?

Cheers

When i bought my car the sump plug wasnt magnetic but i soon changed that a bought one off of ebay in anodised blue which has been great, in fact im going to buy the same one when i change my oil next week!

It is the exact one i am using but my car is a 1.8t so unsure if it will fit your 2.5, not sure if the sumps are the same? My guessing but this is a guess that it will fit fine!

Type this item number in i think this will be fine for you! 270975128737

Not the best idea these mag sump plugs.

Yeah they can collect some small amount of metal but once you get an amount collected on the plug it can slip off as a magnetised lump of metal free to make havoc with your internals.

Plenty of studies on this if you care to search.

I think that wrapping the oil filter with a magnetic attachment is thought to be better as then any metal particles are kept in the filter.

Yeah they can collect some small amount of metal but once you get an amount collected on the plug it can slip off as a magnetised lump of metal free to make havoc with your internals.

I think that wrapping the oil filter with a magnetic attachment is thought to be better as then any metal particles are kept in the filter.

Hmmm, interesting, I hadn't thought of that! I've used magnetic sump plugs on several cars in the past and I was thinking of getting one for my next oil change on the a4, but now I wonder if it's a good idea as you've mentioned that.

Can you buy these magnetic sleeve attachment things anywhere for the oil filter then? That does sound like a better idea to me too.

Hmmm, interesting, I hadn't thought of that! I've used magnetic sump plugs on several cars in the past and I was thinking of getting one for my next oil change on the a4, but now I wonder if it's a good idea as you've mentioned that.

Can you buy these magnetic sleeve attachment things anywhere for the oil filter then? That does sound like a better idea to me too.

I don't know where you can buy them sorry. I was in the same situation as you re the mag plug but did a bit of google-fu before I bought one. I didn't bother with either in the end.

Now that is a very good point!!!!

I just change mine every 6 months with the oil and never had problems! I think they work good yer there is a chance of that happening but if youve got silly amounts of metal bits in tur engine youve got problems, always used mag sump plugs and will continue to do so!