Magride lowering - What's your experience?

Lehn

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm considering lowering my S3 with magride (magnetic ride) and after searching through all the old threads (and I mean all) I only found very few before/after images of the different setups. So, it could be of great help if people would upload some images of their car with magride, their experience of the specific setup as well as what springs they chose and why? A lot of the members mentioned below have been running their setup for some time so it could be nice with some long term experience.

Furthermore it could be great if someone could post the part no. for the Eibach Sportline springs for the sportback? Several fancy this setup, especially after calibration of the magride, but the Sportlines doesn't come up on the Eibach configurator for the S3 only the Pro-Kit - which I know @-Ju- @jungle650 are running. Is the ride comfort the only difference between the Sportlines and the Pro-Kit? (EDIT found a very useful answer to this here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rs3-lowering-options.348125/page-2#post-3258240)

Iv'e also been looking on the ED springs since they're linear and not progressive and a lot of people in the States have very good experience with this setup. But they may only be for the saloon and furthermore be hard to get to Europe without paying a lot of import taxes.

Just tagging some of the people I know have experience with this, hope it's okay :hi:@Rob2k68 @DJAlix @Forbzeeee @batch @sjbarneS3 @-Ju- @jungle650

Link to @jungle650's review of the calibration: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/magride-vcds.273828/page-3#post-3067667

There's a lot info here already but not that many pictures: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/magride-vcds.273828/

Last edited:
Not gonna say much other than:

• Eibach Sportliches / Pros = amazing control and comfort, not a big drop, very cost effective
  • MSS Kits = Amazing, simple, nuff said, "drops the mic", walk to hospital and have kidney removed ready to sell so you can buy a kit.
  • H&R = Big drop, Horrible at everything, what on earth were they smoking when they designed these, 100% you will have them removed within 2 months.
  • Racing Line = see above
  • ED = no experience with them however as everyone in the USA seems to like them I am willing to be they are rock hard.

Would suggest a re-calibration with any lowering option.

Reactions: dp_motley, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
MSS transformed my RS3 + rear ARB too. Pricey but worth it imho.

TX.
309aa57cbdd3f53bb9e90e180739684c.jpg
0d2fd3474663ea757b505bc0c1437385.jpg

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: IDontLikeSpeedCameras, dp_motley, Lehn and 1 other person
More pics in thread below Pretty sure the code is my post on the threads.

Anyway its the same code for S3 or RS3

Eibach Pros: E10-15-21-13-22
Eibach Sportlines: E20-15-21-06-22

Thread comparing both on a Mag ride car.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rs3-lowering-options.348125/page-2#post-3258240

Further to @DJAlix note, there are 3 main differences between the Pro and Sportlines.

These are:

* Sportlines offer a more aggresive drop, especially on the rear ( across my 2 cars ) as noted in thread above. Front drop was very similar.
* Due to the extra drop the Sportlines offer a stiffer and marginally more sporty drive. This is however offset against comfort and without a re-calibration the need to have X-Ray vision to spot pot holes when running 19 or larger wheels.
* Sportlines are bright red springs - Pros are subtle and black , so OEM looking.

If you want to transform the handling rather than just drop the height and improve things as @terminator x has stated a Rear Arb works wonders on the PFL cars.

The further you lower the car the more the comfort will suffer unless you spend ££££. Even then there is no guarantee. So you have to balance your own needs vs cost. For me the Eibachs are a great buy. Also hear good things about MSS kits ( which use Eibach springs )

Either way I do not think you would be dissapointed with either of the Eibach springs only offerings . Or as @DJAlix suggests the MSS kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: dp_motley and Rob2k68
Thanks for the input guys - very useful! :salute: Think I will go with the Pro-Kit then, especially with the price taken into consideration.

One more question just came to my mind; how long should the springs settle before making a 4 wheel alignment and re-calibration of the magride?

(And of course I only looked in the S3 section for information and not the RS3 section where I would have found a lot of answers right away :boxing:)

The Eibachs settle virtually straight away. I had zero movement on the Sportlines. I only needed the wheel alinement changed once. I did however have them double checked after 500 miles just in case they were out.

So it depends how accomodating the conpany is you use to fit the springs ( ie if they charge per correction or if its an all in price ) - or if doing yourself, get them done once - circa 250-500 miles after install.

Jungle

The Eibachs settle virtually straight away. I had zero movement on the Sportlines. I only needed the wheel alinement changed once. I did however have them double checked after 500 miles just in case they were out.

So it depends how accomodating the conpany is you use to fit the springs ( ie if they charge per correction or if its an all in price ) - or if doing yourself, get them done once - circa 250-500 miles after install.

Jungle

Great, thanks again!

Do you happen to know if it would be possible to change the springs yourself like on a normal non-magride car? I must admit I don't know if it's basically just a wire going to the damper that's the main difference or if it's more advanced than that.

• Eibach Sportliches / Pros = amazing control and comfort, not a big drop, very cost effective
  • MSS Kits = Amazing, simple, nuff said, "drops the mic", walk to hospital and have kidney removed ready to sell so you can buy a kit.
  • H&R = Big drop, Horrible at everything, what on earth were they smoking when they designed these, 100% you will have them removed within 2 months.
  • ED = no experience with them however as everyone in the USA seems to like them I am willing to be they are rock hard.

I disagree re: RacingLine springs. Have you seen/tried the latest revision? I've had mine on for a good few months and no issues whatsoever.

Before
uc

After
uc

Last edited:
Reactions: unitzero, batch and Lehn
I had the H&R's on mine and tbh I had no complaints, the only reason I've removed them is down to the wife as it was a little too low for her.
Running the Eibach pro's now (without adaptation as yet) and the ride is definitely better than the H&R's which could well be down to the longer spring travel. It still sits nicely too.
However if I keep the car for a while I will be changing for the KW HAS kit which is similar to the MSS kit. That's where I would be putting £460 of your money lol

Great, thanks again!

Do you happen to know if it would be possible to change the springs yourself like on a normal non-magride car? I must admit I don't know if it's basically just a wire going to the damper that's the main difference or if it's more advanced than that.
It's a doddle to do in under 2 hrs.
The fronts have the magride cable connecting into the bottom of the strut, just pull this out and treat it as a standard strut but be careful inserting the strut back into the hub as it can knock the female end of the connector out (it's a disc shape that fits into the underside of the strut.
The rears are fairly straight forward as you don't touch the top of the shocker where the connector is.
As long as you have the correct tools i.e spline bits, hub spreader and some way of undoing the nut on the top of the front shocker you'll be fine

Reactions: T-800
It's a doddle to do in under 2 hrs.
The fronts have the magride cable connecting into the bottom of the strut, just pull this out and treat it as a standard strut but be careful inserting the strut back into the hub as it can knock the female end of the connector out (it's a disc shape that fits into the underside of the strut.
The rears are fairly straight forward as you don't touch the top of the shocker where the connector is.
As long as you have the correct tools i.e spline bits, hub spreader and some way of undoing the nut on the top of the front shocker you'll be fine

Sounds good, let's see what my dealer will charge me for springs, 4 wheel alignment and re-calibration of magride. Then I can decide if I want to do it myself or say f*ck it and empty my pockets :moneybag:

Sounds good, let's see what my dealer will charge me for springs, 4 wheel alignment and re-calibration of magride. Then I can decide if I want to do it myself or say f*ck it and empty my pockets :moneybag:

Mine arrived yesterday.

Will be hopefully taking pics and posting up after install

As Ju said they are pretty straight forward, just need to be careful when tapping the hub downwards off the shock bottom that you don’t go too far, in case you pull the drive shaft out of its bearing cage at the gearbox end.
Putting a second jack under it will limit its downward travel as you tap it out.

523d5d722c41cd6d541e8b39cfe3d312.jpg

Reactions: Rob2k68
Mine arrived yesterday.

As Ju said they are pretty straight forward, just need to be careful when tapping the hub downwards off the shock bottom that you don’t go too far, in case you pull the drive shaft out of its bearing cage at the gearbox end.
Putting a second jack under it will limit its downward travel as you tap it out.

Thanks for the info mate :beercheers: I'm waiting for a quotation from the dealer but it may take some time during the holiday period.

Please post some before and after pictures when you're done :thumbs up:

Reactions: T-800

I’ll go totally against this - the Racingline/VWR springs I put on my Golf R are way more comfortable even with my 19s than the Eibach sport lines ever were on the S3. Not dickhead low either. I know it’s not a totally like for like comparison but close enough for me to suggest Racingline have really got them spot on. Neither are Magride though...

Reactions: unitzero
Neither are Magride though...
Good information but very different without MagRide in the mix and the golf, although an MQB platform car, is different to the A3 platform.... even the Golf DCC system is different to the MagRide so cannot be compared.

Thanks for the info mate :beercheers: I'm waiting for a quotation from the dealer but it may take some time during the holiday period.

Please post some before and after pictures when you're done :thumbs up:

Audi dealer or indie ? £225 is a decent price from an indie to include laser alignment. I went back after 2 weeks to have my alignment done as there was a small change (Eibach pros) after that 400 odd miles but the main difference was having the steering wheel centred.

Running 1.15 degs negative camber up front (7.5R)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Audi dealer or indie ? £225 is a decent price from an indie to include laser alignment. I went back after 2 weeks to have my alignment done as there was a small change (Eibach pros) after that 400 odd miles but the main difference was having the steering wheel centred.

Audi dealer, so I'll make sure to sit down when I open the e-mail.

Do you know how much camber the S3 runs as stock? I have already considered a bit more camber to be 100% sure my 8.5" ET45 setup won't rub.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Audi dealer, so I'll make sure to sit down when I open the e-mail.

Do you know how much camber the S3 runs as stock? I have already considered a bit more camber to be 100% sure my 8.5" ET45 setup won't rub.

LoL might be be too bad all being well.

No I don’t mate I’m afraid but I’ll try and find out and get back to you.

Mine arrived yesterday.

Any updates mate? :hi:

I forgot to post what price my local dealer came up with but I think it could be because I got so chocked that I just couldn't get myself to share this joke... But here we go: £1.590 WITH £170 discount! :blink:

Then I asked him why the hell it would cost this much when a local shop would charge me £400 for the lowering and alignment and then I could ask a recognised VAG coder from UK to do the coding for £50. Then he told me some rubbish about how difficult it is to recalibrate the magride and calibrate the light (Matrix light doesn't need recalibration). The funny part is that later they recalibrated my magride without any problems on stock springs - I just think they didn't want to help me with this after all :whistle2:

The price is in danish kroner, 1 DKK = 0,12 GPB

Prisoverslag
Beskrivelse Antal Pris

2 SKRUEFJEDRE AF- OG PÅMONTERES 560,70
2 FJEDERBEN AF- OG PÅMONTERES 3.476,34
2 SKRUEFJEDRE AF- OG PÅMONTERES 1.121,40
STØJDÆMPNINGSBUND AF- OG PÅMONTERES 448,56
FORHJULSSPORING JUSTERES 224,28
FORHJULSSTYRT JUSTERES 336,42
BAGHJULSSTYRT JUSTERES 224,28
VOGN FORREST OG BAGEST (UDMÅLING) MÅLES 1.009,26
BAGHJULSSPORING JUSTERES 224,28
FORBEREDELSE, KALIBRERING AF FØRERASSISTENTSYSTEME 336,42
GFS/GUIDET FUNKTION . 2.242,80
FORLYGTER JUSTERET 336,42
DER TAGES FORBEHOLD FOR
OM DER KAN KALIBRERES "
NY TILPASNING AF REGULERINGS
POSITION" EFTER MONT AF
ANDRE FJEDRE

Diverse materialer 175,00
Miljøomkostninger 200,00
Moms 2.729,07
Samlet pris inkl. moms 13.645,23
Afgivet rabat inkl. moms -1.464,08

Upload 2018 11 15 8 46 52

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68 and dp_motley
MSS transformed my RS3 + rear ARB too. Pricey but worth it imho.

TX.
309aa57cbdd3f53bb9e90e180739684c.jpg
0d2fd3474663ea757b505bc0c1437385.jpg

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Did you adjust the front springs as suggested by MSS (350 mm fender-to-wheel centre) or lower?

I'm buying a 8V FL soon and I have the rear MSS Streets Kit off my 8PA that I'm going to fit to a new car, though I'm unsure whether I should buy a set of adjustable MSS springs for the front too or get a set of Eibach Pro as a little softer and cost effective solution.

Did you adjust the front springs as suggested by MSS (350 mm fender-to-wheel centre) or lower?

I'm buying a 8V FL soon and I have the rear MSS Streets Kit off my 8PA that I'm going to fit to a new car, though I'm unsure whether I should buy a set of adjustable MSS springs for the front too or get a set of Eibach Pro as a little softer and cost effective solution.
They come with fitting instructions and a suggested ride height. AKS (who fitted them) just installed it to that recommendation. They do go up and down though so infinitely configurable.

TX.

Reactions: dp_motley and Rob2k68
They come with fitting instructions and a suggested ride height. AKS (who fitted them) just installed it to that recommendation. They do go up and down though so infinitely configurable.

TX.
I have the fitting instructions and they suggest 350 mm for all but TT. I asked because you car looks lower than I saw with those 350 mm fender-to-wheel centre. Perhaps the 19" wheels fill the gap better.

I have the MSS track kit, the fronts are set at 350 and the rears at 355. There is literally only 5 more mm of adjustment left on the front though so not the biggest drop.

I have just had Eibach Sportline springs fitted to my Mag Ride S3 and it is amazing. Will get the ride recalibrated when they have settled some. But first impressions is feels very close to stock just a little bit sportier / firm. I took measurements before and after and it’s now sits about the same all round 656mm from the ground.

Attachments

• 2876C1E5-D80F-4D35-AE04-1F3872738793.jpeg
    2876C1E5-D80F-4D35-AE04-1F3872738793.jpeg
    551.6 KB · Views: 4,216
I have just had Eibach Sportline springs fitted to my Mag Ride S3 and it is amazing. Will get the ride recalibrated when they have settled some. But first impressions is feels very close to stock just a little bit sportier / firm. I took measurements before and after and it’s now sits about the same all round 656mm from the ground.

Wow this looks great, considering getting the Eibach pros for my S3 saloon and after seeing your pic the drop is just right for what I'm after, don't want the car slammed and be like other boy racers who hang aorund the local mcdonalds haha.

Wow this looks great, considering getting the Eibach pros for my S3 saloon and after seeing your pic the drop is just right for what I'm after, don't want the car slammed and be like other boy racers who hang aorund the local mcdonalds haha.
Yes I don’t like the slammed look. And the photos don’t do it justice.