Manifold wrapping???

Audi S3 freak

Reaction score
Hi all, right quick question for you Lot. Just got a relentless manifold so wanted to know if you lot wrap these or not as I don't want to wrap it if they are prone to cracking! Cheers

dont wrap mate dont no much about this but i no not to wrap them ha

Yea i would'nt wrap it,Best to keep the heat out with air geting to it,and it woukd be even harder to fit being wraped.

Hummm... not really... one thing that is really overlooked is heat shielding and this manifold gets very hot... heat wrapping will actually keep under bonnet temps lower... realistically no air gets to the back of the engine and due to the position of the relentless manifold the stock S3 heat shielding is inadequate IMO...

Heat wrap the manifold and add extra reflective shielding would be my advice.. the collector on these glow yellow while the rest glows a nice red....

Dyno'd Sam Bryants car over the weekend and the heat coming off the manifold is immense... he has no shielding at all on the Forge 'orange' turbo pipe and its only a matter of time before heat encourages that to split

Do not underestimate the amount of shielding you will need in a turbo engine bay...

<tuffty/>

Cheers tuffty! Do you or bill have any pics off the heat shielding? Also how much would you ad bill charge to map my car? Mods are manifold 3inch dp and de cat, miltek cat back, stage 3 hybrid, sfs tip and jetex filter, 007p, n249 bypass amd stage 2 map and soon a front mount. (what do the standard smic become maxed out at?) .

Cheers tuffty! Do you or bill have any pics off the heat shielding? Also how much would you ad bill charge to map my car? Mods are manifold 3inch dp and de cat, miltek cat back, stage 3 hybrid, sfs tip and jetex filter, 007p, n249 bypass amd stage 2 map and soon a front mount. (what do the standard smic become maxed out at?) .

I have let Bill know about your post... change the SMIC's for a decent front mount before mapping... they are useless on a stage 1 let alone a hybrid... FMIC in the stickies...

No pics of any specific shielding but check out this thread of a BT TT we did a little while ago..
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/tt-tt-s-tt-rs-forum/148453-build-thread-pic-heavy.html

Pics further down the thread shows where the shielding goes further up the bulkhead/scuttle...

<tuffty/>

Can I ask out of interest if you know what spec your stage 3 turbo is? as you might be able to shed some light on them. Cheers

Does anyone know what length of wrap would be needed?
I'm guessing it's best to wrap the manifold and downpipe to protect all engine bay parts?

Does anyone know what length of wrap would be needed?
I'm guessing it's best to wrap the manifold and downpipe to protect all engine bay parts?

Depends how you go about it... considering the shape and awkwardness of it I would say use 1" wide stuff but dunno on length... I used 2" wide stuff on my DP...

<tuffty/>

When I eventually buy my manifold I will be getting it ceramic coated. Depending on price, may even get the downpipe done too. Will also be wrapping decat back to the back box, this made a hell of a difference on my old Punto gt, popped, burbled and all sorts, also a noticeable difference in power delivery

Thats why i made up a titanium heat sheild for mine,keeps heat away from
turbo elbo,wireing ect,without the bad points of wraping stuff,id make a better sheild than the oem one.

Thats why i made up a titanium heat sheild for mine,keeps heat away from
turbo elbo,wireing ect,without the bad points of wraping stuff,id make a better sheild than the oem one.
liquid, is it poss to get one of those off you?

a little bewt i did a few years ago.. zircotec ceramic coated

badger5-ceram-mani-2.jpg

How much do you think It would cost to get my mani done bill?

I have let Bill know about your post... change the SMIC's for a decent front mount before mapping... they are useless on a stage 1 let alone a hybrid... FMIC in the stickies...

No pics of any specific shielding but check out this thread of a BT TT we did a little while ago..
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/tt-tt-s-tt-rs-forum/148453-build-thread-pic-heavy.html

Pics further down the thread shows where the shielding goes further up the bulkhead/scuttle...

<tuffty/>
I knew you was going to say that! That means so far this month I have had to buy a brand new k04 (last one was scrap) and have it made hybrid, manifold, new wheels (need to buy tyres and adapters) and also a fmic (might go with ah fabs or pro alloy?). This is starting to hurt my bank.....just hope it's worth it! :)
cheers again tuffty

a little bewt i did a few years ago.. zircotec ceramic coated

badger5-ceram-mani-2.jpg
Bill how much would this set me back? I'm sure every time I come on this site it costs me more money! Lol also how much to map my car spec above, cheers

liquid, is it poss to get one of those off you?
My freind made one for me,works a treat,he works for airbus,so i posted up on asn for interest,no one seemed interested so we did'nt produce any more,another member on asn just bought the template sorry,if there was enough interest we could re make them,but to make one would'nt be worth are while,and the titanium is'nt cheep,if you get some other interest mayby be worth it.

My freind made one for me,works a treat,he works for airbus,so i posted up on asn for interest,no one seemed interested so we did'nt produce any more,another member on asn just bought the template sorry,if there was enough interest we could re make them,but to make one would'nt be worth are while,and the titanium is'nt cheep,if you get some other interest mayby be worth it.
will pm you bud :)

The relentless turbo and v3 manifold go on this weekend. Im not going to wrap the manifold. I will do some thing like bills setup. Reflective shield covering the mani area and wrap the close hose and wires (sensors) with the insulated heat wraping. Mine has been like this since march and its been ok but i dont recommend it. Its cheaper to prevent. By the way tuffty i got that interior in now :) over the moon with it.

Sam what spec is the rentless turbo? Any clues yet to expected bhp...

Also, and don't know if someone fancies trying it as I've got enough on my plate really.

How about using a 3" or 4" SS mandrel bend, cut to shape to fit over the turbo outlet silicone pipe, wrap the silicone with exhaust heat wrap. Have 2 access holes on the filter side to gain access to the jubilee clips. With the right fabrication it would slot onto the silencer on the charge pipe as well. Maybe a bit fiddly to install but would offer great protection shielding . Just a thought.

best place to get heat wrap from for the decat and downpipe and will 10m do thanks

Well the spec is, relentless own spec 2283 comp wheel (looks like 2283 but it's cast but told its the same) We will see.
12psi actuator.
ported waste gate.
clipped stock turbine.
not sure on what it will make power wise. 320 maybe on my setup??? Currently running 290bhp on a k04 108k old. Dyno was done at bills on the weekend.
Im sure I could make close to 300 if I had a new actuator and we added 550 injectors, sadly I won't find out what the max power on my k04 will make. Boost was capped at 1.4 bar.

The relentless turbo is a test one so test it we shall :)
if it's no good then I think I will have the rs6 turbine fitted.

Sam what spec is the rentless turbo? Any clues yet to expected bhp...

Sam,

Cast 2283 should be good sounds similar to one of the Porsche wheels. Going to say I think a clipped stock k04 will be your down fall! Absolutely no point in clipping a stock turbine!

Sam,

Cast 2283 should be good sounds similar to one of the Porsche wheels. Going to say I think a clipped stock k04 will be your down fall! Absolutely no point in clipping a stock turbine!

agreed

we shall see in due course when its done I dyno it again

I have the prototype/template. LiquidS3's mate has told me he is happy for me to reproduce it. I don't have the facilities or time to fab these up but if anyone needs a template made from the prototype just drop me a pm.

I have the prototype/template. LiquidS3's mate has told me he is happy for me to reproduce it. I don't have the facilities or time to fab these up but if anyone needs a template made from the prototype just drop me a pm.
Glad you received it ok,i am going to make up another batch of these within a week two weeks now anyway,ready bent to shape,i was'nt going to bother,but with the increased amount of xs manifolds being sold,there is a market for these now,so within a week or so,i will post up a thread on these sheilds with pics ect.thanks adam.

Glad you received it ok,i am going to make up another batch of these within a week two weeks now anyway,ready bent to shape,i was'nt going to bother,but with the increased amount of xs manifolds being sold,there is a market for these now,so within a week or so,i will post up a thread on these sheilds with pics ect.thanks adam.

adam i want one, yours looks good :)

I've decided to not wrap the manifold and just go with the heat shielding. Have wrapped re downpipe though to try and aid keeping temps down.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350164401785932