Manual Air Conditioning

bobinder

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Manual Air Conditioning gives you heated front and rear windows or is that only on Climate Control?

Heated rear window will always be standard. Heated front windscreen not an option (in UK)

Reactions: bobinder
Should still get rear heated so it's nothing to so with air con or climate control. To my knowledge no one has front heated, think Ford still have patent. (Or they did)

I think the OP is referring to the front windscreen blower function. I think this is only on the climate control, with manual you have to select the windscreen blower on the rotary knob.

Thanks guys, is it worth speccing the Climate Control even though I'm happy enough with the Manual Air con? Is the defrosting on the Climate Control effective?

I had CC on my first A3 in 2004 and then manual air con on my Golf and I wished I had the CC, so yes definitely worth it in my opinion.

I had CC on my first A3 in 2004 and then manual air con on my Golf and I wished I had the CC, so yes definitely worth it in my opinion.

What did you find was the main difference? My car is confirmed to be built in 2 weeks so adding an option could delay that I guess.

What did you find was the main difference? My car is confirmed to be built in 2 weeks so adding an option could delay that I guess.

Main difference is convenience. Just set a temperature and that's it.
If the cabin is too cold, it will blow warm air
If the cabin is too warm, it will blow cool air (or chilled air if the aircon is on).
Climate control also controls where the air comes out, warm air usually from the footwells & face vents (so it can rise), and cool air from the screen/ face vents (so it can sink). By doing this it helps to minimise temperature gradients in the cabin.
It also adapts fan speed, temperature of the blown air from the vents, and where the air comes out as temperature changes during your journey without you having to do anything.

Manual aircon has the same basic function (fan speed, windscreen/face/footwell), but you have to set and adjust warmth, fan speed and which vents to use yourself. They won't change themselves.

Do you find on a journey that you have to keep adjusting the heater up or down yourself? Climate control will do that for you.

If I recall, manual air-con is single zone ie one temp for whole car. Climate control is dual zone so if you have a passenger who likes it warmer (or cooler) that the driver then you can set different temperatures for each side of the car.

John.

Last edited:
I have have both also ,but surprisingly i prefer the simpler,quick easy adjustment of the manual.My 2 previous A4s and a BMW 3 series all had that mulit button setup.I much prefered a VW polo manual set up and a manual set up in a loan 3 series i had.Dual control and separate adjustments were never a big deal ,for me anyway.
Actually that auto system can work against you,as when you need heat quickly the fan slowly increases when there is available heat,i found i had to crank it up manually,as i wanted the air flow quicker.

I can't believe you can even get a new A3 without climate!

Reactions: bobinder and mjcourtney
12 months ago I set my climate to 20 degrees and selected Auto. To this day I've never changed it lol. Works perfectly!

My brand new Audi S3 has a hole in the air con condenser.
There are 3 x 4cm x 55cm gaps in the front grill giving a clear line for stone damage to the air con condenser. This is a clear design fault which will mean regular damage if you travel at motorway speeds. That's fine if you don't mind regular £800 bills to fix it because Audi have refused to cover it on the warranty despite this clear design fault.
This car is not fit for purpose. Be very careful before you buy one and only buy it if you're happy to drive at slow speeds!!

I think that is a design 'issue' that many modern cars have as I remember the same argument for the Mondeo Mk4. Obviously the condenser has to be in an area where there is a unrestricted flow of air but they perhaps could put it behind a grill of some sorts..

This is a clear design fault which will mean regular damage if you travel at motorway speeds.

What roads are you driving on where you regularly get large stones being flung up at 70mph!?

That's fine if you don't mind regular £800 bills to fix it because Audi have refused to cover it on the warranty despite this clear design fault.

That does seem a touch mean on Audi's part but I suppose you wouldn't ask them to pay for a stone chip on your bonnet...

This car is not fit for purpose. Be very careful before you buy one and only buy it if you're happy to drive at slow speeds!!

You've been very unlucky, no doubt about it. However judging by the fact that there aren't droves of people complaining about the same problem, it is a minor issue which will only affects a small percentage of customers. Audi will class this as a managed risk...